A VERY Long shot, but i'm gonna ask anyway...

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

A VERY Long shot, but i'm gonna ask anyway...

Post by Matrix »

Does anyone fancy doing me a MASSIVE favour ?

*NB: This is NOT computer related n any way, but IS about as musicly retro as you can probably get... read on adventurer, your quest awaits.

I have the sheet music (very rough scan) and the lyrics to a song much loved by my mum in her youth, but apparently only availble on a wax cylinder - and only then if you have the ability to play it.

The song is called "dont go down in the mine dad", it's supposed to be sung by a male child, and in a welsh accent. This tune is from 1910 FYI too, so there's no reference material to help. That said, there's 4 pages of google data on it, so I dare say whatever you produce, would be marketable in some form as there seems to be some interest.

The only thing I can offer to assist, is a rather crap midi file.

A challenge to be sure, anyone up for it ? - i'm not holding out much hope on this, but I know we have some sterling quality musicians here.

The aim of all this, is to be a xmas present for mum.. any help appreciated, thx in advance.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Check out this Page. It has the Lyrics and a Scan of the sheetmusic.

http://www.olimu.com/Photographs/Family ... tMusic.htm

Real Audio Clip of the song & Lyrics here.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3448/dream.html

There is a lot of information on this song on the internet more than 4 pages.

I'm off to work soon unfortunately but I'm sure one of you can find an MP3 Recording of it somewhere.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
fac
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

good old uncle google

Post by fac »

Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

:shock: OMG, you found it !!

I was using "Don't go down the mine Dad", not "Don't go down the mine, Dad", but I tried all the various extensions n stuff, no wonder though really, crazy filename.. - amazing job dude, truely !! Thank you SO much :D I expected someone would cover it, but I never expected to be downloading a recording of the original taken from the wax cyliner !!

Fantastic, knew I could count on you guys :) never a better set-a lads online :) - Thanks again, mum will be proper chuffed with this :D
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

YAY - I love a happy ending!
Boz
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Boz »

I've just been going through the Cylinder Preservation Project - it's actually pretty incredible stuff on there!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

:D See I told you, there would be someone here who could find a recording for you. :D

Hmmm I'm going to have to go through the Cylinder collection and see what interesting recordings I can find. Who knows maybe you can find that rare Sample that could work on a track. ;)

Some of the recordings can be cleaned up with modern de-hessing / pop filters.

And I like the fact that 24-Bit Wav file is available.

And its fascinating listening to an actual recording that was done in 1913, almost 100 years ago.

PS: This reminds me of that "TechTV" accident which I'm sure everyone has seen. There was this old guy holding a Cylinder which he said was the only copy/version of that song that was available, he was so nervous that he crushed the thing into pieces live on TV!!.

PPS: What is spooky about this topic is, it was just on the news yesterday that there was a MINE accident in POLAND and 24 Miners died in the accident.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Analog-X wrote: What is spooky about this topic is, it was just on the news yesterday that there was a MINE accident in POLAND and 24 Miners died in the accident.
This is the kind of coincidence that happens everyday a thousend times somewhere in the world. With more than 6 billion human beings there is quite a chance of someone searching for a "Mine-song" on the day a mine accident happens.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPUtTGAGaOk :hang:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Yeah that was the clip I was talking about. hehehe...he went like..

"OH..FFF...SH*T" hehehe.