Hardware question

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Hardware question

Post by Makke »

I was thinking of upgrading my system, because I did some calculations and realised it wasn't impossible for me to get off my P3 800. :)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a Celeron 2.4Ghz, 512 MB PC400 DDR-ram and throw my SB Audigy in there. I know Celeron isn't much of a graphics processor, but my question is if anyone else is running a Celeron for music making purposes and if it works smoothly for that?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Hardware question

Post by DHS »

Makke wrote:I was thinking of upgrading my system, because I did some calculations and realised it wasn't impossible for me to get off my P3 800. :)
Anyway, I was thinking of getting a Celeron 2.4Ghz, 512 MB PC400 DDR-ram and throw my SB Audigy in there. I know Celeron isn't much of a graphics processor, but my question is if anyone else is running a Celeron for music making purposes and if it works smoothly for that?
A celeron is basically a castrated P3/P4 (half the L2 cache memory).
This heavily impacts over the machine performance.

I'd advise you to save some more money for a 2.4c P4 and a i865 or i875 chipset based MoBo, as those are really good performance combinations (you can run the 2.4c at over 3200 mhz without any problems).

You could also opt for a "cheaper" AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (barton core) and a NVidia nForce2 ultra400 chipset based MoBo (that's my current system).
With that you can run it as a xp 3200+ without problems (if you have good cpu cooler and a stable power supply, that's true also for the P4 solution) and you get bundled with it a very good 5.1 soundsystem (the soundstorm if you get an Abit NF7 class MoBo) with native Asio support (you can throw away your SB too :)).

Cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/