Stifflip & Co [Richard Joseph]

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Reyn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Stifflip & Co [Richard Joseph]

Post by Reyn »

Last sunday I was listening to Boz' impromptu when he told us the sad news about Richard Joseph. Which was a real shock.

I also overheard Boz telling us about his favorite track from Richard named "Stifflip & Co." and I though it would be a nice gesture and homage to make a remix out of it and present it to all of you.

When I started doing transcriptions of the actual track I stumbled upon some really genius melodies, chord changes, modulations and phrasing of melodies. I was blown away really. He knew what he was doing and he must have put a lot of effort in his work. Even parts that sound the same in the track have nice different details hidden inside of it. Real craftsmanship. All in all it was very impressive, this great jolly track of his.

Hope you all enjoy it and may our efforts keep his spirit alive...

Yours, Reyn.

Here is the actual track:
http://www.reyn.net/c64remix/stifflipandco.mp3

Some pictures of the work in progress:
http://web.mac.com/mc.reyn/iWeb/privat/stifflip.html

And for all you freaks, the instruments I used:
eminent 310 unique organ, tack piano, grand piano, celesta, banjo, epiphone wildcat guitar, glockenspiel, mellotron, fender precision bass, timpani, a sonor drum kit and loads of percussion.
Last edited by Reyn on 10/03/2007 - 19:35, edited 2 times in total.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

:worship:
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Excellent work Reyn.

I still like Beyond's version, in the silent movie style, but Reyn's brings something different - a Wurlitzer/fairground vibe, then there's other bits that remind of the American ballpark organ. Shows how two people can hear the same thing and come up with two very different remixes...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
leoni
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by leoni »

Great work again Reyn :thumbsup:
Boz
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Boz »

It's fantastic stuff, Reyn. You give the track justice and pay homage to RJ. Of course, I could be slightly biased here because, as you said, Stifflip is one of my fave SIDs in the first place anyway! But judging by the reaction of the listeners after playing it on Wednesday, I think we can assume that I'm not the only one who thinks it's genius!

Top stuff, mate!

:hooray:
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

It's an excellent arrangement, Reyn! Keeping the feel of the original, yet expanding on it. All in the usual totally professional manner. Top stuff!
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Ph0B1uS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Ph0B1uS »

I heard this when it was played during bozes impromtu and I'll have to agree with the crowd; this IS a truly great arrangement of the SID.

I don't know how you pull it off but every single one of your tunes sounds really good.
I'm no producer or music maker though, i'm just a consumer.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Yeah! This is the only way a remix of this SID should sound like!
A perfect conversion. Would be a clear red smiley - although the SID is sooo cheesy.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

The remix has a very nice feel to it. :)
All is lost.
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Stifflip & Co [Richard Joseph]

Post by Slaygon »

Reyn wrote:Hope you all enjoy it and may our efforts keep his spirit alive...
This is absolutely fabulous!
The love and craftmanship that went into this remix is just so present. Here's two of the images from your work on this that in my mind represents it all in a very good way.

This is pure love for the craft itself, the original work and music in general. And capturing that in a few, simple black&white photos is just... artistic!

All cred to you!

beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

I like it too... Very rich in the sound (opposite of what I did with it) which suits it very fine. I especially like the arabesque part in the middle.

-Theo
Rick2525
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Rick2525 »

Looks like I was late in seeing this post ... the link to the mp3 is dead atm. Is it still available?
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

Rick2525 wrote:Looks like I was late in seeing this post ... the link to the mp3 is dead atm. Is it still available?
Yes. Here: http://remix.kwed.org/download.php/3369 ... d%20Co.mp3