NEW REASON!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
trace
Forum God
Forum God

NEW REASON!

Post by trace »

HOLY H*LL!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CHECK IT http://www.propellerheads.se

EDIT: MY heart is pumping enormous amount of blod right now!!!!! :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

Yet another REASON to use Renoise :)
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Instant Remedy wrote:Yet another REASON to use Renoise :)
Good point - aren't you a 'Renoiser', Trace? :confusion:
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

IR: yeah you do that ;)

Tonka: All my tracks is Reason except for Nemesis the warlock :D
Soundcloud PowerTrace
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Tried reason once......naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!

:twisted:
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Analog-X wrote:Tried reason once......naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!

:twisted:
hehe, well it's a question of taste ;)

For me it suites me verry well :D
Soundcloud PowerTrace
datucker
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by datucker »

Reason is alright! I use it since 2001 for all my productions.
With kind regards,

DaTucker / Jarno Beumer
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

Of course it's a matter taste, I was just teasing you with a bad pun. I'm sure Reason is great, since it's coming new versions. I tried the first version for a couple of minutes but realized this was not what I was looking for. Now I'm happy with Renoise since it's a tracker. I'm stuck with trackers, for good and for bad.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

It's a matter of taste... yes... I think both solutions has advantages and disadvantages... coming from tracker society on AMIGA I've been on both solutions (even made my own tracker on AMIGA back then)...

I think, that the greatest advantage of the trackers are, that it (to me) seems easier making large arrangements and trying different things together uilding a sequence up of patterns of uniform length... it has some creative advantages... the downside is that it's a lot more difficult to fix note lengths, Continous Controller data etc.

For someone who records live, I think the normal sequencer scheme is better, or at least for me it is...

Have to add though, that it's been a looooong time since I put my eyes on a tracker... so if something new has happened that is controcersy to what I just wrote.... enlighten me :lol:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Instant Remedy wrote:Of course it's a matter taste, I was just teasing you with a bad pun.
hehe I know ;)
Instant Remedy wrote: I'm sure Reason is great, since it's coming new versions. I tried the first version for a couple of minutes but realized this was not what I was looking for. Now I'm happy with Renoise since it's a tracker. I'm stuck with trackers, for good and for bad.
If you only have tried the first version of reason you have missed alot of cool stuff ;)
Trackers are good, I grew up with them also ;) I like Renoise too, specially the new one with mixer and all ;)
The only thing i miss in reason now i audio tracks :|
Soundcloud PowerTrace
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

still waiting for my test version....
i can't wait to check all the new great features...!!!
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I have also added myself as a beta tester and can't wait to get my dirty hands on all the gooooodie stuff there ;)

The regroov thingie will be alot fun to play with.
If you have made a "static" drum programming, just add alittle touch with the regroove ;)
They have analyzed real drummers and grooves and stuff so you just need to apply the specific patch to the drums you did and you're set :D
I feel like a little child at x-mas waiting to open the presents, I WANT IT NOW!!!! :lol: :oops:
Soundcloud PowerTrace
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

If you have made a "static" drum programming, just add alittle touch with the regroove
Yeah... this is just like object oriented coding these days... just use a lot of modules that others have coded, and soon we enter a time, where it's the few (the module builders) who actually know what the "secret modules" really does.... to some extend I find this a little scarry...

Is this what is happening to music as well? it started with loops... some music has evolved into something I would call "Audio Patchwork" these days... good?... bad?... I don't know, but I know what I prefer myself :? as long as truly new stuff is made, I guess it's ok... We see people using programs that make music using others musical skills (Stylus, Atmosphere etc.)... will it be the rare happening in the future to see a piece of music that one can faithfuly claim as 100% his/her own creation?

I mean; how easy is music supposed to be created these days and in the future?... Shall we really just "fire off" a boring drumline, and "shine it up" with a press of a button!? ... where is the sense of pride from creating all on your own? ... is this a result of todays society racing off like a maniac, having to spit out new products faster than we can get an emotion for them? ... hmmm... I don't know what to think of this :?

hmm... now I'm up thinking too much again :roll: but I fear that in the distant future it will be like in fantasy movies, where the practicioners of magic do their things according to the "old masters"... not knowing the old magicians secrets of old.... yeah, I know it's a vivid imagination, but it's sort of like the same... or is it not?
Last edited by Razmo on 21/06/2007 - 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Don't worry, all software gets be to reinvented with the advent of each new programming language. Even .NET framework will be reinvented some day. As a matter of fact, the process of software evolution is the constant refactoring, where old modules become obsolete and new modules are created. Don't know how scary it is. It's just a hell of a lot of work.

What you're saying reminds me of a Star Trek episode where an advanced civilization had forgotten to use or create it's technology. It just was, but they had no idea how it worked.

There is some truth to the scariness. Imagine all the old COBOL code out there that has to be maintained. If migration/reinvention doesn't keep up with programming, it'll mean a hell of a lot of legacy stuff that noone knows how works in the future.

About the pride aspect... Are you envisaging an AI-assisted composition process? In that case, clearly there is less pride, because the composer has less influence. On the other hand, if he uses his skills to refine the process sufficiently to create much better music, the effort is levelled. You could also say: what's the pride in programming in Java when you could be programming in assembler and be very specific about what you're doing. You have to choose abstraction (the black box) if you want to get stuff done. Think: abstraction + parameterization = modularity. It's on a "need to know" basis. There more you want to know, the less the abstraction potentially becomes. But optimally you might want layers of abstraction and subsystems.

Anyway, enough bla'ing from me...
Last edited by xo on 21/06/2007 - 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Exoskeleton: Yes.... but it's frighteningly few who actually know the bottom-line skills associated with computers today, compared to the time of the C64 or AMIGA computer... those days where hardcore programing let you understand your machine to the absolute BOTTOM! ... how many programers of todays PC knows deeper than C ?... now I admit, that module oriented coding allows for a much faster and wider range of software, since it's faster to make thing this way.... I guess I'm just from an era that want to know EVERYTHING about the stuff that I do... I never came to grips with coding PC because I could not have 100% control of the machine... that's where my coding stopped :?

But the real theme of my post was more of a parallel... I'm more concerned with the direction of music in this field, as I see music as a creative artform, and how much will it be your own art, if you use audio loops and rhythm programming actually done by other people?... hmm... I can see the creativeness of it... but are we slowly witnessing that in fact these days it DOES matter what tools you use to make music as to how "good" you are making music?... an old term says that it's not the tools but the brain, but I'm not so sure anymore.

As I see it, this "patchwork" process is allright, as long as something inventive comes out of it... something new... the frightening aspect that triggered my post here was that it seems as there might be an interest in doing something cool, by using a program to process something boring and quickly made.... THAT*S the frightening aspect in it for me :)