Anniversary Show Feedback

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Anniversary Show Feedback

Post by Subzero »

Hey y'all, as this was a special podcast, I'd really love some feedback on what you thought of it, after listening to it myself I still need more level adjustments, especially on the music side, but I would love to know what you thought of the SHOW itself.

Thanks

Subzero
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Anniversary Show Feedback

Post by Tonka »

Well your product endorsement was SHIT! It's Dreamstation 2 you were supposed to plug (which was the new software I made the remix on) and you were MEANT to read out the email with the dreamstaion2.com address on, not my one about Belong and how it's 10 years old, you gert sporron clad muppet! :lol:

*Ahem*

In seriousness though, I did notice the levels needed taming, too (vocals too loud, mainly). Do you use any form of compression to level everything out a bit? Radio stations use a huge amount of compression in order to keep the levels similar for the variety of songs and the vocals that they have to play. In fact, they use something called 'side chain compression' which you can find the theory on here:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~rhuls ... echain.htm

Yeah, it's pretty deep, but as with most things thesedays there's probably some software plugin available that will automate the process for ya! :D Let me know what software/hardware you use, and I will see if I can help you out with a solution.

Oh yeah, the show needs more belching! ;)
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

yeah sorry bout the not plugging dreamstation 2, by then i was a bit erm drunkish I almost blah blah'ed when I was supposed to be talking about LMan's request

I use a berhinger xeynx 1002 mixer, traktor, and audacity
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

OK, check out these 2 examples.

http://www.monotron.co.uk/suba.mp3 is a snippet from the show 'as is' with no limiter applied.

http://www.monotron.co.uk/subb.mp3 is the same snippet, but with a hard limiter effect applied.

You can hear how the vocals are about the same level, but there is a vast difference in the volume of the music when it starts. Load the files into Audacity to actually see how much a difference there is. This is the work of a 'hard limiter' effect and it's a very quick and dirty way of getting the levels to the same kind of volume if you don't have time to get into side chain compression and all that stuff. :)

I used Adobe Audition, but I know that Audacity has the same effect. Give it a try and see if it sounds any good. :)
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

Cant get it to work with audacity, just doesnt change a thing!