Could the game name be added to all remixes?

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
necronom

Could the game name be added to all remixes?

Post by necronom »

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but on the RKO site there are quite a lot of tunes that I have no clue as to which game they are from. For example:

Plastic Pop
Highscore [at work]
Ground (no fika)
Danger Freak 2K8
Only Hate (the aRise experiment no.1)
Beginning
I Can't Get No Sleep (Meanwhile The Planet )
etc...

There are loads of them (some of those above might just be games I've never heard of). There are quite a lot that I can guess the game, for example I see one called "Valley of Dreams [Imphenzia Remix]", so the game is probably called "Valley of Dreams", or maybe not.

Anyway, what I would like is to know the game name, as I like to listen to the tunes in my car and I want to know what the tunes are off, as I like to either have a quick go of the game, or just to remind me what it's off. Some tunes can drive you mad by not knowing the game they are off.

If some are not from games, then I definitely want to know about it.

It sounds like a lot of work, so feel free to ignore me, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who don't know what a lot of the tunes are from.
Paul.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Could the game name be added to all remixes?

Post by Amok »

"Danger Freak 2K8" is from the game "Danger Freak" :wink:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Heyho,

you can identify the original SID by hovering the "SID" icon at Remix.Kwed.Org. If you want more info about a specific SID, you can use SIDFind: http://www.c64.org/sidfind/

kind regards
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

I should mention as well that not all of the remixes that were named in the original post are actually from games, a fair number of them are from C64 demos.

Using SIDFind will help you locate where the tune is in HVSC (and if you've not downloaded that already, I suggest you do), and indeed for some demo tunes you can cross reference them with which demo they appeared in at either CSDB or The Demo Dungeon.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
necronom

Post by necronom »

Thanks guys.

I had a look for two of the ones I listed, and it took me about 10 minutes to not really find out what they were both from. I think they were demo ones, but it's a lot of trouble. I'll leave that for the tunes that I really like, but don't know.

It's a shame that a "D" (demo), "G" (game) or "S" (standalone SID) wasn't added to an extra column whan the site was first started, and a requirement to state the game/demo in the MP3 tags.

And yes, I do have the HVSC downloaded, as well as a large percentage of the RKO.

Keep up the good work :D
Paul.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

necronom wrote:It's a shame that a "D" (demo), "G" (game) or "S" (standalone SID) wasn't added to an extra column whan the site was first started, and a requirement to state the game/demo in the MP3 tags.
Rather than have people state this when they submit remixes to RKO, such meta-data should be incorporated into the STIL database (http://stil.c64.org). Then both RKO and other sites/tools/etc. could benefit from it.

Not that I'm sure it would be beneficial to know what context a SID was first used in. The composer's much more interessting methnks - and that information is already stored in the "original composer" ID3 tag.