Any new CDs in the works?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Any new CDs in the works?

Post by Sidman 64 »

I think the problem with releasing audio cd's these days is the quality of C64 remixes are matching and in most cases better than the cd releases....
Take this into account and the fact that the remixes are free to download I think CD releases of C64 remixes are going to be hard to sell in great numbers these days.....

Example : Look at the releases Dafunk has produced, he could of held them all back and produced an amazing CD of these tracks but he released F.O.C...
I think the only worthy releases from now on will be from Live B.I.T events like in the past and if it gets completed,
then B.I.T Live in Sweden from last year....
Reyn's set was fantastic, 6581 where brilliant and J Tel's was fantastic with some new stuff..

If this DVD, CD ever comes out then it will be worth the purchase because the peformances where amazing and well worth watching, listening to, just like the original B.I.T Live DVD :)
Alot of C64 fans don't make it to these events and I think if the production was spot on then they would purchase the DVD, CD releases from Live events....

Paul
Last edited by Sidman 64 on 17/01/2009 - 11:12, edited 2 times in total.
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

I beg to differ. It has to do with the target group of the music. The group of people interested in C64 music is actually pretty big but most people have their comfort zone. There is a huge difference in downloading all tracks from RKO and buying a an album. Many people produce excellent sounding free music out there on many music sites and your only problem is finding this fantastic music. I don't have the time for it - it has to reach me in some way of natural selection. Sure, I browse RKO but "regular people" don't do that. They generally don't have the channels that "we" have. They will expect that an album is well produced and it has a better chance of reaching their attention. "Regular people" can talk about a CD as such and they can find it in a store, while a bunch of mp3s is a more diffuse kind of thingy. Viral overload is a problem for everybody releasing free material, ie music, graphical art, games. If it doesn't stand out, it dies. All material, free or not, can be crap and hyped and it lives (for a while, everything dies but Elvis :shock:). It can be fantastic but overlooked and it lives for an even shorter time.

When coming to marketing there is an issue too. You will not get a journalist to write about a single mp3 or a selection of it unless it is made by an utterly amazing new Michael Jackson or similar. If you push a CD to a newspaper journalist these days you have a good chance of getting some attention. "Go to myspace.com/yetanotherband/" doesn't really cut it any more in this human race. There is so much cwap out there, unfortunately and journalists don't care. I wouldn't.

Futhermore, it is my experience that if you have a CD that you give people when talking about producing even more music they can see that you have actually been there before. There has been a process of some sort so the starting point is not square one and the foot in the door is slightly bigger :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> I think the problem with releasing audio cd's these days is the quality of C64 remixes are matching
> and in most cases better than the cd releases....

Fundamentally disagree with "most", and not just because I'm actually trying to sell the damn things.

Certainly the end sound in remixes is a lot more likely these days to be closer to sounding professional (although SID teaches us that end sound is not everything), but musical invention and ideas have always been lacking in most C64 MP3 remixes because in music ideas are the hardest part (except for Reyn's ;-).

Of course, there are people who release stuff that's up to CD quality, both now and in the past, but they're not "most", or even "some".

The general problem is that the decline in CD sales is faster than the uptake in digital sales, across the whole market.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Without saying to much and getting the thread back on rails: The next PPOT album will have more to it than just the audio. So there is reason to actually buy the physical album and not just hope for FLAC/WAV/MP3s...
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pepak »

LMan wrote:It's really because only a few people buy those CDs anymore. Sad thing indeed.
I know. For me, an actual CD with a nice booklet is a part of the whole listening experience, but many people are content with digital downloads :-(
Chris Abbott wrote:BIT 4 is an album where I just don't think the audience "needs" it in the way they "needed" the other BIT series, since there's music from so many other sources
I am not quite convinced of that. One, I am missing a Sinclair CD in the vein of BIT, with high-quality remakes. There are quite a few excellent musics which should get a new treatment, most of which do not exist on other platforms at all - Savage and Firefly I mentioned in my other thread are an example (yes, there is a Savage and a Firefly for C64, but they have nothing in common with the Sinclair versions musically).

Two, it seems to me that most CDs (and MP3s, too) come from the good old favorites. Which is fine, but every time I see a new Wizball or a new Aufwiedersehen Monty I despair that it's not a Defcom or Saboteur II or Bump Set Spike...
Romeo Knight wrote:To go slightly back ontopic: There's still a DVD of the 6581 gig@Bitlive 2008 Stockholm in the making. We're struggling with some technical difficulties though and we're not 100% sure if we're able to do a commercial release soon but we're working on this.
Cool. Will be on lookout for that, too.
Danceaway wrote:Take this into account and the fact that the remixes are free to download I think CD releases of C64 remixes are going to be hard to sell in great numbers these days.....
Actually, if there was a CD release built entirely out of published remixes, I would still buy it - the packaging and the (presumed) losslessness would be incentive enough for me.
beyond wrote:Many people produce excellent sounding free music out there on many music sites and your only problem is finding this fantastic music.
Exactly. As it is, I hoard all the released remixes in the hope that I may one day be able to go through them all and pick out those that I like best. In reality, the collection just grows without me even starting with it :-(. CDs are much easier.
Jim Power
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Jim Power »

There are two CDs of Amiga music heading in (one of which is a joint venture between C64Audio.com and Jan Zottmann)
I just started an official news thread for the Amiga CD projects Chris mentioned above. :D
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

beyond wrote:Without saying to much and getting the thread back on rails: The next PPOT album will have more to it than just the audio.
The naked chicks, right? Image
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Romeo Knight wrote:
beyond wrote:Without saying to much and getting the thread back on rails: The next PPOT album will have more to it than just the audio.
:nonono:

:wink:
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Romeo Knight wrote:
:nonono:

:wink:
I told you two not to squeal!! It was supposed to be a secret!

Oh, no, thread is off the rail again!