What do you want from Rob now??

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

What would you like Rob to do?

A sequel to a classic track
23%
A sequel to one of the newer tracks
No votes
Something completely new
46%
I don't care, as long as it's Rob
29%
Don't ask me, I'm a Galway fan
3%

Total votes: 35

carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

In the STIL entry for W.A.R, Rob mentions
this idea about doing a custom version of this tune with synths etc...
I'm not sure exactly which subsong (or all of them) he referred to, and I don't know how many remixes on RKO and CDs are already done, but it might be something else to include on a CD, Rob finalizing one of his ideas to cover himself?
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Is it me, or did he not do that for W.A.R on bit3 :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> Is it me, or did he not do that for W.A.R on bit3
Yes, he did. If BIT 3 was still available, I'd be mightily plugging it here, I can tell you. Carlsson, have you every visited the CD shop and listened to the clips (ironically WAR isn't available)? Apart from telling you what's been covered they're a pretty good listen.

Chris
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Something new from Rob would rock... old work redone would work well for me, too. As long he has fun doing the SID-thing, I trust him to do great tunes... :D
All is lost.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Did anyone notice that "Kentilla" cover in the half-hour before the concert? That was the premiere of Rob's own orchestral cover of Kentilla... but no one, apparently, was listening....

Chris
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

Ja, ja.. I did have some sort of disclaimer about not recently checking the contents of C64Audio CDs (and probably should've read through the track list before posting). :oops:

Anyway, as the particular recording is out of print, I wasn't 100% wrong. Although STIL isn't a place for advertisments, it might be worthwhile to update composer and other comments not longer entirely valid.

(BBS technical point: I had previously not noticed that phpBB lacks a "real name" field in the profile, but I'm sure there is a good reason why there isn't one)
Anders Carlsson
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

project hubbard.

Post by Razmo »

Hi there! :O)

Just read those two threads about the "Hubbard Project" thing.
There was some talk about the point in making this CD, as there is no such thing as hubbards original C64 (SID) to play them on. I can see the nostagic value of that of course, especially with the very varied filter responses of the 6581. I was just thinking; why not just try out a lot of different SID chips, and let Rob do the judging?... Maybe he would be capable of remembering how they SHOULD sound. Just take a really well-filtered tune like Delta in-game music and let him judge on that. If Rob remember when he bought his machine (I recall having heard on some movie, that he bought his VERY early) it might be possible to narrow in on the revision of SID used also (probably R1). But then also, I believe he may have made many tunes on different machines also further complicating this thing (did he not make Commando in-house?). If you look at the different SID revisions, the only real difference is the filter, so any tune of his not using the filter (there surely are a few of these right?) would be easily authentically played on almost any SID.

As I've been delving about with a lot of different SID chips lately, I've by the way come to the conclusion, that the main difference in the 6581s (within a certain revision though) is the range that the filter works in. This can be best described as this:

A SID chip has a filter cutoff range from 0 to 2047. In theory this should mean that the filter is fully closed at value 2047 (brightest setting) and fully open at value 0 (dullest setting). The problem with 6581 in this is, that the values for open/closed vary from chip to chip so that one chip will have it's range from perhaps 512 to 1800, andother from 800 to 2000 etc.
So basically, a SID would theoretically be "perfect" if it's range is from 0 to 2047, which is rarely the case (I've got one that is though! ;O). Knowing this fact should by the way make it possible to make almost any SID more precise, if one could do a callibration in a player!

Maybe this reply was a bit more technical than should be allowed, but anyway, I could not help myself replying this. :O)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Many thanks for that Razmo - didn't understand a great deal of it, but I'm certainly in your camp regarding Hubbard trying out the selected tunes on different SID chips.

This subject has kind of died a death, and what makes it even worse is that once again people are talking about reviewing issue/tactical voting once again, instead of focusing on the actual music. Last week I made a compilation CD of pure Hubbard SIDs for the car - and I've been greatly enjoying listening to it. I know the filters used for SIDPlay aren't perfect (ended up turning all filters off!) and I imagine listening to Hubbard tunes more like the way they were intended.

I know Chris that you are a busy man, but is there any progress in this area mate ? Has Rob expressed an interest in this project - or is he even aware of it. New stuff / Old stuff / don't matter to me. BTW most people didn't hear Kentilla at BIT Live because of the 'buzz' of excitement in the place.

Cheers
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
I know Chris that you are a busy man, but is there any progress in this area mate ? Has Rob expressed an interest in this project - or is he even aware of it. New stuff / Old stuff / don't matter to me. BTW most people didn't hear Kentilla at BIT Live because of the 'buzz' of excitement in the place.
>>>
Rob does know about the project, and had a positive reaction: no more progress so far because of all the other things happening: it's very important that the C64Audio rewrite finally happen. It's getting embarrassing.

Chris
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Thanks for the reply Chris - I'm glad to know there is an interest from Rob, but I understand you need time to re-jig the site. Hopefully there will be some news in the up and coming year.

Good luck an' all
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

I think that the creativity and integrity of the Rob will shine through no matter what he does.

As much as I want to hear the Boston Philharmonic play Zoids with Rob on piano... *twitch*

Rob on piano, Madfiddler on fiddle, and Steve Vai on geetar.

Oh dear sweet baby Jeebus. *twitch, twitch*

Gnurrrgh!
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Yeah, but does Vai want to be shown up? :P