Z80 - Trantor the last Storm Trooper, remake

For those who want to post remixes from other platforms or show off their original work. Post them here!
DigitalScribe

Z80 - Trantor the last Storm Trooper, remake

Post by DigitalScribe »

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while on this forum. I'm not in the music business but I've been playing with making music on and off.

To keep it short, I'll be putting here my go at recreating the soundtrack from Trantor the last Storm Trooper, which was a game I've been playing on my old faithful Z80 Spectrum.

Please don't be to harsh with the criticism :confusion:

Here it is: http://www.digitaverna.ro/img/David_Whi ... rooper.mp3
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Z80 - Trantor the last Storm Trooper, remake

Post by pepak »

Actually, it is pretty good. I would have preferred bass instead of the electronic guitar (? or whatever it is that plays the repeating rhythm in the background), but I like it even as it is.

Now if you could only do Savage (all four title tunes)...
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Sounding quite good so far, its a little muddy mix wise and the main synth does get a little lost especially when you add the distortion to it, the lack of much of a switch up with the backing track makes it plod on a little bit too it could do with a little variation to keep things interesting. But im a sucker for the trantor music (and the game.. gotta be one of the greatest games made on the 8bits and its a shame the sequel never rose).

Anyway keep at it, you've got a nice solid foundation to work with :-)
DigitalScribe

Post by DigitalScribe »

Thank you for the good thoughts! I also appreciate the analysis you've done and the constructive critics.

My idea was to keep a little bit of the harshness of 1 bit Z80 sound. I've added a lot of "overdrive" effects but it was on purpose. I wanted to stay on the original sound as much as possible that's why something gets lost on parts. I tried hard to balance the output mixer so I can get some acceptable proportions while staying in this self-imposed envelope.

Also I haven't actually finished it, there are some parts I simply gave up working on and abruptly finished it.

I'll give a shot at the indicated tunes as well. I hope I can get my hands on some original sound to work on.

: later edit :
I had another go at recreating the roughness of the original version here but with a twist: http://www.digitaverna.ro/img/trantor_3.mp3