Copyright of C-64 compositions

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
soundsosound
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Copyright of C-64 compositions

Post by soundsosound »

I have a question concerning the owner's rights of our beloved C-64 songs. I made some classical piano arrangements of my favourite game tunes (Ghosts'n'Goblins, Cauldron, The Great Giana Sisters, Forbidden Forest, Thing on a Spring, Warhawk, Boulder Dash, Monty on the Run, One Man and his Droid & Super Mario Bros.) Recordings can be heard on Remix.Kwed.Org or on my own homepage: http://www.soundsosound.de/de/klavier/8288.shtml

But now I had the idea, to publish the scores of these arrangements through some sheet music publisher. This might be the point, where I have to get the permission from the original author or from whoever now owns the rights of the composition. I guess, most of the software houses from those days are no longer around. And how do I contact Rob Hubbards...?
:roll:

Does anybody know the exact legal situation?
Any suggestions, what I can do?

Greetings & thanks in advance,
Markus
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Copyright of C-64 compositions

Post by Chris Abbott »

1) Situation varies for each piece: for instance, I deal with the rights to some of the pieces you have there.

2) You're not the only person to have had this idea. There's a reason why it hasn't been done commercially yet.

3) It's unlikely any sheet music publisher would be interested, even if you had the official permissions. However, if you have one interested, I can probably help with talking to them. Contact me @ chris (at) c64audio.com or by PM.

The easiest thing is to prepare the sheet music anyway and give it away... no one minds stuff like that.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
soundsosound
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by soundsosound »

Hi Chris,

thanks for the quick answer. Good to find someone, who knows about these rights' issues. Not to mention someone who actually deals with them. And for which of the pieces exactly you are the negotiation partner? Do you know, how I can find out who holds the rights to the rest of the songs?

Might be, you're right and it's not easy to find a publisher who is interested. But having received many positive responses to my post on a german C-64 board, where several members asked for the scores, I thought there might as well be a market for it.

You might think I got a bit greedy trying to earn money with other people’s compositions. But it's not about the money at all. I won't get much out of it anyway. But at least I see the chance of finally getting something printed, that I worked upon. And to be a bit more optimistic, perhaps it's a good start if i want to draw the publisher's intention to my own works later on.

If these plans fail, I will offer the score material for free on my webpage, of course. But at least I'll give it a try.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

soundsosound wrote:Ghosts'n'Goblins, Cauldron, The Great Giana Sisters, Forbidden Forest, Thing on a Spring, Warhawk, Boulder Dash, Monty on the Run, One Man and his Droid & Super Mario Bros.)
Ghosts 'n Goblins, Forbidden Forest, Thing on a Spring, Warhawk, Monty on the Run, One Man and his Droid. First Star still are keen on controlling Boulderdash, Chris Huelsbeck himself is probably your contact for Giana Sisters, and Super Mario... well, obviously that theme is one of Nintendo's key intellectual properties, and guarded very highly, so I'd stick to C64.

Chris
soundsosound
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by soundsosound »

Well, that's great. All the important pieces are under your responsibility.
I have no problems with putting off Mario.
Perhaps I will add some more of the Hubbard stuff instead.
Do you hold the rights for all of his works?

And I am planning a "theme and variations" on the summer games hymn.
Do you know, who owns this tune?

Can you already say something about your conditions? Is there a standard or will you negotiate them with the publisher?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

soundsosound wrote:Well, that's great. All the important pieces are under your responsibility.
I have no problems with putting off Mario.
Perhaps I will add some more of the Hubbard stuff instead.
Do you hold the rights for all of his works?

And I am planning a "theme and variations" on the summer games hymn.
Do you know, who owns this tune?

Can you already say something about your conditions? Is there a standard or will you negotiate them with the publisher?
It would probably end up being a sub-publishing agreement with any sheet music publisher. And the Rob Hubbard stuff that isn't covers is safe enough, yes.

The Summer Games hymn is John Williams' theme from the Olympic Games in 1984. There's even a composer's score for that.

Chris
soundsosound
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by soundsosound »

In this case Summer Games is not a good choice. I will think it over.

But I have good news. One publisher already showed interest. - Well at least the staff member I contacted did. He will suggest the project during the next meeting in early December. Of course that doesn't mean anything yet.

Let's wait and see... :roll: