dear tactical voters...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Hi all.

Yeah the evil voting system again. The evil voting system that destroys the community. Why do we think it destroy the community? Because we arrangers don't want to accept that the public opinion about our beloved creations is not as good as our own.
That's not what i'm arguing about.
I'm simply stating that there are 2 voting system working, the classic one and the reviews one.
One allows anonymous to throw turds on remixers faces without exposing themselves (and,
expecially, without giving an hint on why he did it), the other is a fair one.
LMan / Remix64 wrote: So not releasing anything on RKO just to evade this oh-so-unfair voting system is, IMHO, just silly.
Silly? May be. But, my masochism has reached his limit, sorry.

Cheers,
A silly pizza-pasta-mafia italian guy.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

DHS wrote:One allows anonymous to throw turds on remixers faces without exposing themselves (and, expecially, without giving an hint on why he did it), the other is a fair one.
Well, I vote most of the time without writing a review. Should I withhold my opinion because I don't have enough time to state my reasons? Does this make my vote unfair? I don't think so.

If you say the voters are throwing turds at remixers, it proves what I say is correct: You can't stand people having bad opinions about your work. This on the other hand, is understandable, but a pity. Because you shouldn't care about that, this is something you told me once, remember? :)

- Markus
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote: Well, I vote most of the time without writing a review. Should I withhold my opinion because I don't have enough time to state my reasons? Does this make my vote unfair? I don't think so.
Markus, I know you're a person who consider many things before casting a vote.
On the other side, there's people voting "BAD" a mix just because he desn't like
the style used for the remix. Is it trance? Bad. Is it metal? Bad.
I think no one should vote BAD machinae supremacy giana sister just because he
doesn't like metal. I don't lke metal. But you can check my vote for them.
Because they are *amazing* musicians. And they deserve my vote.
This is a fairiness i have and you have, and most of people here have.
But some don't. I can't change people minds, neither i can change the fact one
is an idiot. But i can and i will avoid being a "victim" of those idiots.
LMan / Remix64 wrote: If you say the voters are throwing turds at remixers, it proves what I say is correct: You can't stand people having bad opinions about your work. This on the other hand, is understandable, but a pity.
So i can't stand bad voting?
Ok, put DHS in the search engine of R64 and have a look:
Have you ever read something from me about the votes for Menace, Frogger2, The Hobbit, Bubble Bobble,
and so on? Those are average tunes. And those deserve the votes they have.
LMan / Remix64 wrote: Because you shouldn't care about that, this is something you told me once, remember? :)
Yeah, i shouldn't. You are right. And i stated that too.
But if i can stand bad votes (if deserved) i can't stand stupid people, the one who cast a bad vote
only because they don't like the kind of music. This isn't *TACTICAL VOTING*. This is brainless
voting.

And i'm also a human being, with all my faults. I'm many times over-proud, but i don't believe
this lead to blindness. We are here to have fun, that's right. But few are enough "politically
uncorrect" to admit that they are here *also* to get some self gratification. That's human.

Have a great day.

Cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

(haven't read the entire thread)

Post by beyond »

There's no doubt that there will always exist people that will vote against other peoples' fortune to gain better scores themselves, and there will always be tunes that are love/hate tunes. And people hating jazz will always down-vote those jazzy remixes. There is nothing to do about this. We cannot have an opinion police here---or at least I hope we never will.

I have before suggested that it should be possible to view the votes or at least the distribution of votes. You must all know Nectarine-radio, they have full disclosure of votes. An example, to show a typical love/hate-tune: http://www.scenemusic.net/disvotes.htm?idsong=63880

If we had this at rmx64, we could ourselves, as remixers, disregard tactical (or just plain stupid) voters(' opinion). There will always be an official rating and a interpreted rating---if you spot user _IHATEC64_ voting your remix a -7, then you know that.

I see no problem in votes being out in the open. That would at least warn the biased voters about their triggerhappiness. So let's have that "Show all votes" or "Show vote distribution"-button.

-Theo
q__
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by q__ »

Tough crowd. The same tune here scores 8.8 (103 votes) compared by the 7.7 (100 votes) over there. Maybe the voters here aren't so bad after all :lol:

Then again, if you have 100 votes (!!) you might not need a detailed voting history? In this case it seems anonymous voting does not encourage people to give 'bad' scores. Rather the opposite.

Detailed voting might discourage some people to vote at all.
For me every vote means something. Either 'this tune is so bad, i have to protect people from listening to this sh*t' or 'great, let's encourage the guy to make some more'. Anyhow; disregarding low votes?? If it works for you.. Enjoy.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Ok, we are talking about a minority here thats less than 1% of the overall voters. So why should 1% mean so much? when 99% are good voters. At the end of the day i look through the charts and see the overall ratings which generally match my own vote!

In every day life there's always a minority of people who don't think with the majority. In football there's a minority who don't watch football, but who cause trouble... Ban football cos of this? no way, that means the idiots win.

Lets not look at a single vote here, lets look at the majority, lets look at the bigger picture here. If you look at the overall votes at remix64, can you honestly tell me the voting isn't right?

So easy ain't it to guess whats happening without having the slightest clue what actually goes on behind the scenes.

dhs, the machinae supremecy example is a perfect example of looking at the singular and not the overall picture.

You think you've worked damn hard on your music and you don't like the charts? well what about Markus, think of him for a second will ya, that same work has been implied to remix64 as you have put into your remixes, do you think he likes being criticised for his efforts too?

as for coming out into the open with the votes, thats just plain rediculous. I can just see the nastyness or sarcasm that would come from this idea. can you imagine this..."Oh, Mr xxx, you don't know naff all about music, you think your so good, but your mixes havn't got into the top 10... blah blah". It will happen!!!

nuff said!, get on.. deal with it!

It's no wonder why i rarely contribute to remix64 anymore!
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Well said, Tas! 8)

I've now coded the statistics for the votes distribution. It can be viewed on each tune's info page. Enjoy :)

- Markus

PS: I wonder how long it will take until the first compaints arrive: "Hey someone casted a 'Poor' vote on my remix, I can see it in the statistics. That must be tactical voting!" :lol:
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Tas wrote:You think you've worked damn hard on your music and you don't like the charts? well what about Markus, think of him for a second will ya, that same work has been implied to remix64 as you have put into your remixes, do you think he likes being criticised for his efforts too?
I'm not criticising markus at all.
That system is ok for everyone?
Good.

It's no more ok for me.
Can i state it publicy or should i sit down in a corner with my mouth shout?
Can i refuse to upload my next works (if there will be any) to RKO, or must i comply with the mass? Tell me, please.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Great work Markus, yet again you've made limited space look really good =)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

DHS wrote:It's no more ok for me.
Can i state it publicy or should i sit down in a corner with my mouth shout?
Can i refuse to upload my next works (if there will be any) to RKO, or must i comply with the mass? Tell me, please.
Of course you can state what you want. But you can't expect us to leave such criticism uncommented, after all we also take pride in our work. :)

I think it's really best to end this discussion here, we're going in circles. Everyone has made his point, and that should be enough (for a few weeks at least)... ;)

- Markus
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Of course you can state what you want. But you can't expect us to leave such criticism uncommented, after all we also take pride in our work. :)
Ok, let's drop it here, also because i didn't criticized you or your work.

Words are putted in my mouth and that's a game i don't want to play.

Bye.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

just to clear the record DHS, i was making a generalisation and not putting words into your mouth.
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

DHS wrote:Can i refuse to upload my next works (if there will be any) to RKO, or must i comply with the mass?
:?: :?: :?:
Is there some deal for exclusive rights to publish remixes through the "official" channels if one has your own channels of distribution?
Anders Carlsson
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

The perfect track to close the thread:

http://section8sonicarts.com/music/mr.m ... %20ego.mp3

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:I've now coded the statistics for the votes distribution. It can be viewed on each tune's info page. Enjoy :)
Nice. Although in my browser, the top bar is always broken into three pieces on separate lines.