I'm just too white and nerdy...

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Makke wrote:
Waz wrote:Incidentally, the DVD has 6 animated videos to 6 of the songs, the best of which has to be "I'll Sue Ya" done completely in the style of Rage Against The Machine, a la "Bombtrack".
Yeah, it rocks! But I'm of the opinion that it almost sounds too much like RATM to be called a Weird Al original.
Al does thank RATM on the sleeve notes to the album, so it's fairly obvious to me he did it in their style (Bombtrack is about the closest, but there's several differences for sure) and then asked the guys in RATM for permission, the only right thing to do. I'm pretty sure that they would have been impressed!

Incidentally, Chamillionaire, the guy who sang "Ridin'" which Weird Al parodies in "White and Nerdy" loves Weird Al's version so much that he actually put it on his Myspace pages for people to listen to.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Al always asks for permission when he does a cover or very close parody... which is why You're Pitiful is not on the album...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

merman wrote:Al always asks for permission when he does a cover or very close parody... which is why You're Pitiful is not on the album...
Actually, that wasn't down to James Blunt saying no. He said yes to it, but his record company (Atlantic) were the ones that said no. Hence he distributed it for free on his web site, as legally speaking parodies are allowed without asking permission - it's just that Weird Al prefers to do it that way as to not upset anyone.

That's also why in the video for White and Nerdy the Wikipedia page he's editing with a big "You suck" is actually the page of Atlantic Records that he's attempting to edit, hehehe.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

merman wrote:Al always asks for permission when he does a cover or very close parody... which is why You're Pitiful is not on the album...
Its on my copy of the album ;) *cough*

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Waz wrote:Al does thank RATM on the sleeve notes to the album, so it's fairly obvious to me he did it in their style (Bombtrack is about the closest, but there's several differences for sure) and then asked the guys in RATM for permission, the only right thing to do. I'm pretty sure that they would have been impressed!
Yes, Al's usually very careful to not step on anyone's toes. So I'm sure he cleared everything before the release.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -