Alternative to R.K.O.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Do we need an option instead of R.K.O.

yes
30%
nah
70%

Total votes: 20

bastard
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Alternative to R.K.O.

Post by bastard »

With all due respect to Jan for a big effort through the life of R.K.O. I belive it's time for a serious alternative... :?
2000 A.D. State of the art software
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Erm, why? Sure, RKO's downtime has been rather prominent of late, but it always sorts itself out in the end, and I really cannot think of a single other source that would enable such massive bandwidth sucking.

And, remember, there IS already an alternative - R64 enables artists to host on both RKO and another space, too. Therefore, it's up to the artists to provide additional hosting for their tunes in the case of RKO being down. I really don't think there's any need for another RKO-like site, though.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I think, long-term, a mirror or alternative site is needed. Maybe even a "Classic RKO" site to take some of the burden off the main site.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Markus Schneider »

Craig, the point is that you can't ADD a tune here. Further it is very difficult to reach all remixers editing alternative sources. So this isn't really an alternative, in theory a little bit. Practical not.
IMO I think the second downtime could be the factor for people to get more and more off the scene. Just regarding my turning up here and at RKO, it went down from several times a day to once a week, even less.
Just my 2 cents ...
Markus
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Another problem with the alternative download thingy: about a third of the alternative links are dead most of the time. I'm running the dead-link-checker once a week.

- Markus
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

ah the world famous down time issue.. all ya addicts craving a fix like them lot down at the methedone clinic only less dangerous and not as likely to die from a dodgy c64remix (even if it is honerabilli) than u are from that lovely green stuff :-).

but yeah.. rko down again. but then so what? who are we to complain or expect it too be 100% perfect all the time? it is by far the best and yeah probably the ONLY source of decent c64 remix's so lets just be happy that we've got a place to download them from.

If people are going to jump the scene because they cant download tunes then they were only part timers and that's fine its nothing too bad to lose those people and hey there are plenty of places for them to go to download whatever makes them horny and they are more likely to return back on a passing glimpse than most others so no real biggy is it.

scene aint gonna die or nothing.. not yet anyway its got a fair few years momentum left in it. so lets just enjoy ourselves whilst we can eh.

Jan does alot of hard work to keep that place open as im sure we all appreciate and things do go wrong for reason X all the time, best we just sit back and let his capable friends sort out all the bugs.
Who really want's to download off a site that aint working properly anyway? in my experience its been "MORE" frustrating going to a site that half worked than it is to a site that works perfect.

take ya time jan m8, get it all sorted and we'll all look forward to opening time :-).

my 2 cent's
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Ahhh the world famous don't complain about others who spent their hard work on it issue. I do not understand why this comes up when people just make suggestions and if you read - don't complain about Jan or LMAN.
It's their site and time and so on. Anyway what is so bad about asking for an alternative ? ... ? E.g. I would like to have a mirror where I can download some older tunes while Jan is sorting out the queue.
Markus
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Can't see anything changing either now or in the future..

RKO uses up some serious bandwidth which knocks the idea of an alternative right out of the water. I think there would have already been one by now if it was gonna happen.
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Then it seems to be a matter of money to pay such things. It would be interesting to have the stats from Jan to sort out the costs.
Markus
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Someone suggested P2P. That sounds like a nice idea. To have a site with P2P links to files, eDonkey I guess. Then noones gonna complain about bandwidth and there is still a central place to get the remix lists with information such as remixer and original sid.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

soz markus i didnt make that point because i felt u was complaining about anyone as your post says and those above you. no ones complaining at the actual people that run the site's.. but more along the lines that when these things go down we cant get our fix of c64 remix's.

I am totally aware that it was a suggestion, one that it does seem is impossible to fulfill.. but then aint that they way with most suggestions?.
I agree maybe finding out an outlying cost for a mirror would be a interesting prospect though would we really use it as often as its actual worth? still every avenue is worth exploring isnt it.

but then on the other hand -

rko isnt down all the time and in my experience here (albiet a short one in comparison to some) so a mirror may just end up being a cost cow that we dont need.

P2P sounds like a more viable idea but where and how? there are also the virus issues that come with evil p2p servers.. do you know exactly who your downloading from might be the file you want but is it coming from the right place and so forth... virus checkers arnt totally infallable and i know i would be really embarrassed and incredibly saddened if i inadvertently gave some of my friends here virus's without realising it or even a total stranger.

the alternative source thing is a very good place to start, it was given to the remixers to use, how many actually used it? and then those that have used it how many KEPT their remix's on there so that they are still downloadable?
I thought it was a great idea and im still hoping my tunes are downloadable direct from r64 but after all the great idea chucking where has it lead?

I'd love to see an alternate place to download/upload remix's too but i doubt no matter how much idea chucking we throw that as neil said.. anything will be done anytime soon. we all just have to sit and wait.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

How?

A site that can host ed2k links would work.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

I can understand people who want to get their fix from other avenues, but surely the whole point of the C64 scene is to be able to just come to one site and download and chat without having various sites lowering the quality of music and the decent people who make the effort to keep this site running. I am not slagging anyone off but i think things are fine as they are once RKO is up and running again.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Hello: Its still one site. And as for virii - do you seriously suggest songs be encoded into exes? I don't see any mp3 or ogg harming my computer. Also, the hash code for a file should mean you cannot just fake a file. It is also possible to have submission from one site and links at multiple sites - e.g. there may be an RSS or ATOM newsfeed with ED2K links so people could report about new files from their own sites, RSS is a dead easy format. I don't see the problem, except for investing the time to set it up.
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

You could round up most of the old remixes in Torrents, and sort them by game/remixer or something... BitTorrent is an excellent bandwidth saver.