My style.........

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.

Do *YOU* really think I try to plagiate IR?

Hell yeah, you little copycat!!!
No votes
Absolutely not, you have a sound of your own!
100%

Total votes: 14

Bruno Falardeau
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Bruno Falardeau »

I guess it all depends on what people have heard before and can relate to. It would be like saying every heavy metal band sounds like Iron Maiden. And maybe it does "to the untrained ear".
As I die-hard Iron Maiden fan, I can say that if every heavy metal band would sound like Iron Maiden, I would have a LOT more music CD's at home... or maybe it would eventually have become tedious.

Anyhow, returning to the topic, I most definitely do not think you are an IR rip-off. I find both of your music enjoyable, and likely if there was a track that came out labelled as "SW or IR", I'd be able to guess which of the two was behind it. Either way, I'd also likely be sure to enjoy it.

Bruno
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Yeah, keep on doing what you are doing Sonic... Your stuff is good. Even though I don't listen to dance music a whole lot I can still tell that you and Instant Remedy are two diffrent mixers (both which I actually like)... and don't let Beldin's reviews get to you... After the swagger I just got from him I have stopped taking him seriously... Judging from both your review of OL2, mine of Arabian Zoids and several others I am starting to think he just doesn't get it. He has no idea what he's talking about :)
<--- I went that way --->
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

But Im serious, when is someone scene-member coming up with remixes that sound like noone elses music? That makes people say "What is this?..." "...interresting..." "...strange, but I like it!"? Aint that the feeling some of you got the first time you heard Jarre's music? :)
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

You are very right Max :) ...I need people to tell me who I sound like though because I am not very good at that myself since there are so many different musicians influencing my music I can't keep track of what's what :)
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

"beldin" is my Remix64 login name for voting, created in the early days of Remix64. 8)
Larsec wrote:Even though I don't listen to dance music a whole lot I can still tell that you and Instant Remedy are two diffrent mixers (both which I actually like)...
No one has claimed that "Sonic Wanderer" would imitate IR. Neither has anyone claimed that any remix other than Sonic's latest release would sound similar to IR. Some people here should read reviews more slowly to get the picture. A review serves also as guide for people who don't check for new remixes regularly and may know or remember early remixers more than others. It is my personal opinion that the arrangement is built upon a similar concept as IR's early dance remixes, especially due to keeping the arpeggio.
and don't let Beldin's reviews get to you... After the swagger I just got from him I have stopped taking him seriously...
With all due respect, but this is ridiculous. Maybe LMan implements a kill-filter some day for people like you who do take reviews personally. ;)

One idea behind reviews as an addition to anonymous ranking was especially to give voters a chance to explain their vote.

With four other reviews ranking your remix "outstanding" and a total of 25 votes resulting in an average of 80%, clearly there are more voters who did not vote your remix "outstanding". Obviously, my "average" vote does not have such a big impact on the mean ranking of 80%. Can you imagine that there are listeners who find your remix also just average or even below average?
Judging from both your review of OL2, mine of Arabian Zoids and several others I am starting to think he just doesn't get it. He has no idea what he's talking about :)
Judging from this quote of yours, it becomes clear you did not take notice of the ranking at the bottom of my review of Sonic Wanderer's OL2: very good. Not enough? :roll:

Some facts: I've ranked five of Sonic Wanderer's remixes as "very good" and the remaining four as "good". Not satisfied with that ranking? Well, there are remixes which I find "outstanding", too.
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Michael, don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning your taste. You are totally in your right to rank any remix based on what you think of it. I applaud that. That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing... The problem I have is that in some of your reviews you keep refering to the mix you are reviewing as a remix, but you judge it as a cover, not a remix. To you there might not be a diffrence but to me that would be like listening 'Battery' by Metallica and then write a review starting with the line, "This is the worst techno-track I have ever heard!" If I wrote a review like that I doubt you would take me seriously. Remixes and covers are 2 very diffrent things. Maybe now you understand because that was what I meant when I sayed that you had no idea what you are talking about... And maybe I wasn't clear in my long info about the song or maybe you just didn't bother to read it or didn't read it slowly enough, either way, there were points in your review that were outright wrong or totally misinterpreted... Granted, that I could have made it clearer that I was doing a combined mix of DRAX's Araber and Hubbard's Zoids (somewhat explaining the female lyrics in the beginning) with the weight mainly on Zoids but that doesn't remove the fact that the review is flawed...

People can think whatever they want about me and my work. They are free to do so... I just don't like people judging me or mine for the wrong reasons... I take my music very seriously, so when I see a review of my music inwhich some parts are based on something that is wrong, I get a bit upset... It might be a bit exentric, but that's just me.

I always enjoy it when people like my music and tell me why. I also like it when they don't like my music and tell me why. Writen reviews mean more to me than a percentage gauge that shows a ranking or even a smiley face however it may look... This was never about you giving low or high scores to anyone... This was all about your written reviews...
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Woah, woah, woah! :shock:

Hold your horses.
Why do you (Michael) take it as if I only spoke of you when referring to "people" comparing me to IR.
I wouldn't have started this thread, if there was only one comparison.
I've heard it from several places, and just wanted to starta a discussion.
I succeeded, apparently. :lol:

Keep it real! :twisted:
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

@Larsec

Well, I don't discuss my reviews here, since my opinion won't change. But let me make a few things clear.

Some reviewer of a different remix abused the review-system as a discussion board already and, when writing his review, referred to my earlier review. Double misconception, since discussion is not possible there at all, and reviews should be independent.

Also, it doesn't make sense to argue whether you understand my reviews or not, especially since with your last reply you extend your criticism to several albeit unnamed reviews of mine. Your theory concerning "remix vs. cover version" is out-of-touch. No idea where that comes from. You would need to elaborate on that before it becomes a basis for discussion.

That some arrangers as well as listeners disagree with some of my reviews is nothing new. Similarly I disagree with people bashing tunes which I like. If we'd all agree, there wouldn't be any point in writing reviews. But apparently, we disagree by a pretty far margin. Mainly due to different taste and different expectations towards a remix (or generally: piece of music). When I came to Remix64 to check the latest releases, I found nearly 30 new remixes, most of them being rated very good and outstanding by a handful of people. Look at the ratings now! 10 very good, 17 good, 1 average. It has always been like that. A small lobby of reviewers finds most stuff outstanding, and when more and more average listeners turn in, the rating gets more representative.

Anyway, I hope more people will show the courage to explain their votes. There are more people who voted your remix, Larsec, as less than "very good", and if all those misinterpreted your arrangement, well, that is the flaw then and room for improvement (on your side). On the contrary, if I pointed you to remixes which I find very good or extra-ordinary, most likely you would refuse to make similar music. ;) So, take it easy. You may try to educate people in terms of your style, but it is doomed to fail = Impossible Mission.

@All
Btw, since this thread is about Sonic Wanderer, I'd like to mention that I seem to remember I had rated Acarid's Beyond the Zero outstanding. But it is no longer available for download for unknown reasons.
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

Sonic Wanderer wrote:Woah, woah, woah! :shock:

Hold your horses.
Why do you (Michael) take it as if I only spoke of you when referring to "people" comparing me to IR.
Well, you gave only one concrete example, and hence I referred to that one only. ;)
I wouldn't have started this thread, if there was only one comparison.
I've heard it from several places,
No problem. Just tells me that I'm not far off with my observation with regard to your OL2 remix. ;)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Michael wrote:
That some arrangers as well as listeners disagree with some of my reviews is nothing new. Similarly I disagree with people bashing tunes which I like. If we'd all agree, there wouldn't be any point in writing reviews. But apparently, we disagree by a pretty far margin. Mainly due to different taste and different expectations towards a remix (or generally: piece of music). When I came to Remix64 to check the latest releases, I found nearly 30 new remixes, most of them being rated very good and outstanding by a handful of people. Look at the ratings now! 10 very good, 17 good, 1 average. It has always been like that. A small lobby of reviewers finds most stuff outstanding, and when more and more average listeners turn in, the rating gets more representative.

Anyway, I hope more people will show the courage to explain their votes. There are more people who voted your remix, Larsec, as less than "very good", and if all those misinterpreted your arrangement, well, that is the flaw then and room for improvement (on your side). On the contrary, if I pointed you to remixes which I find very good or extra-ordinary, most likely you would refuse to make similar music. ;) So, take it easy. You may try to educate people in terms of your style, but it is doomed to fail = Impossible Mission.
well done, michael...

i speak for myself as remixer and 'victim' of a review written by you...
hey, i wish there was more reviews, 'cause everyone who listen to
music got a different musical understanding, music is emotinal, we're it
too..we're only humans (the most of us... :twisted: )...
btw. a very good example is my 'Loopz' remix, i got two very different
points of view.....

cheers 2Klang
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Let's make on thing clear.
Michael: I am not talking about your reviws. I am talking about peoples misconception of me "following" the tracks of IR, when I only happen to do similar music.

I do not wish to be compared to him, just because he was "first".
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

Sonic, I also think Michael/Beldin took my review as a personal answer to his review, as he mentions "Acarid/Beyond the zero" now. I guess he thinks he is running a one-man-show on R64. He writes reviews, but does not read what´s posted on this board. :^)
putzi
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

:? :? :?
putzi wrote:Sonic, I also think Michael/Beldin took my review as a personal answer to his review, as he mentions "Acarid/Beyond the zero" now. I guess he thinks he is running a one-man-show on R64. He writes reviews, but does not read what´s posted on this board. :^)
I take this comment of yours as a personal insult. :? There's absolutely no reason for hostility and heated comments. :(

And I don't understand your comment at all. What the heck are your referring to? You did not even take part in this thread except for a one-line comment from Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:26 pm. :roll:

I mentioned my ratings of Sonic Wanderer's remixes because Larsec wrote the following: Judging from both your review of OL2, mine of Arabian Zoids and several others I am starting to think he just doesn't get it. which makes it look like my review of OL2 would be bad or anything like that. Actually, I gave it an overall "very good", so where is the problem with my OL2 review apart from the IR comment? Read my postings in this thread again and learn to quote if there's anything you don't understand.
Sonic Wanderer wrote:I am talking about peoples misconception of me "following" the tracks of IR, when I only happen to do similar music.
Please get some feedback from other people who see a similarity to some of IR's early remixes. There is enough similarity to justify mentioning the similarity, so that a review also serves as a recommendation for people who like similar remixes.
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

2Klang wrote:i speak for myself as remixer and 'victim' of a review written by you...
Since this is a comment directed to me, am I allowed to reply to it or will putzi run upon me?

Okay, then let's discuss all these issues:

You see yourself as a "victim" of my review which rates your remix as "good" (67%). Why?

Loopz (Radiowellen Mix) - Listener's Rating 68% (15 votes)

On average, 15 listeners seem to agree. And I'm sorry, if the gap between "good" and "very good" is a whole 16% and I must decide between those two marks.
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

Michael wrote: I take this comment of yours as a personal insult.
Take it as insulin, sugar or gift, whatever you want, sweetie! :lol:
Michael wrote: am I allowed to reply to it or will putzi run upon me?
What an honour! :wink:
putzi