Pay-Pal

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Would you donate to pay-pal?

1) Yes, your using the funds for a good cause
42%
2) yes, but i'm not keen really
39%
3) Nah, i'm happy how the scene is already, i don't want it any better
19%
4) Your taking the piss
No votes

Total votes: 31

tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Pay-Pal

Post by tas »

As you know remix64 is always trying to make the scene an interesting place. Many of our ventures require funding to some extent.

if we'd opened up a pay-pal account (with the desire to use the funds for the scene's interests) would you help us to help you?
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Pay-Pal

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Neil wrote:As you know remix64 is always trying to make the scene an interesting place. Many of our ventures require funding to some extent.

if we'd opened up a pay-pal account (with the desire to use the funds for the scene's interests) would you help us to help you?
I'm trying my best not to sound discouraging here, but when I asked whether RKO should start accepting donations or not, people were very supportive. Up until the moment that I actually set up a way to donate.... This was in early September. Since then I have received 5(!) donations (and two postcards, even though I sent out my postal address to a lot more than that). All within the first 3 months - which leads me to believe that the novelty of it has worn off now.

I'm not trying to rake in more cash here, and I'm way beyond feeling bitter at the community on account of people willing to talk the talk, but not walk the walk. Still, as long as I don't have to buy my own drinks at BITLive I'll be happy. Not that I've ever really asked people for free drinks - they just started pouring in (pun intended) on their own. :D
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

i think there is a difference here with what we are trying to achieve (correct me if i'm wrong jan).

People need to see a difference. If they are going to give away hard earned cash, then they need to actually have something to see for themselves a difference.

The funditachure at r64 would allow us to open a dedicated frequent downloadable radioshow. and open up a dedicated irc chat client (which we have already devised (thanx to DHS)).

people need to see a change, and people would see almost instantly a change if they put their hands in their pockets and helped our cause.

At the end of the day, your rko site is great, but people don't see your donations as to it actually making a change to the scene. in this case the funds donated would show! and would make a difference!

i think though there are simularities between both our requests, there is a big difference.
stainlesssteel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by stainlesssteel »

Just curious, does paypal require a creditcard to donate to it ?
Rauli
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Rauli »

Making a donation. Why not? This site is something I enjoy a lot. Still a radioshow and an irc chat client is not important to me, at all.

Paypal. I had trouble with my bank and them. Don't know why. I use NETeller.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Neil wrote: At the end of the day, your rko site is great, but people don't see your donations as to it actually making a change to the scene. in this case the funds donated would show! and would make a difference!
(Usual disclaimer applies: contrary to what the following text may imply to some, I'm not trying to rake in money. I'm fully aware that I'm in an akward position when it comes to arguing for/against supporting various causes.)

Neil, that's because I have kept running the site out of the goodness of my heart, despite to the lack of (voluntary) support from the people who encouraged me to accept donations in the first place. Not having a site like RKO around would indeed, as you put it, "make a difference".

The problem is that people are used to everything on the internet being freely available. Noone wants to donate towards keeping something alive if it means that it'll just continue running as usual - people seem to want value-added services before they part with their money.