S.N.O.R 2

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

LMan / Remix64 wrote: I often wonder how much different this world would look like if Gibson hadn't written Neuromancer.

- Markus :)
it would be a different world.... for me.... :wink:

btw. remember 'Molly' with her 'sharp' nails.... :twisted:

cheers 2Klang
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Yeah and her chrome-covered eyeballs 8)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Yeah and her chrome-covered eyeballs 8)
and she was dressed in black again....(hmm, lecker...) :twisted:

cheers 2Klang
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Re: S.N.O.R 2

Post by merman »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:
My ex is heavily into Eddings, McAffrey and a lot of other fantasy stuff. Which meant that I read the back-covers of her collection at one time when I had run out of books to read. Have to say I was totally unimpressed with the lot of it. Methinks life's too short to read about some far-away world that was obviously created by authors who like to prance around in some intrigue-ridden medieval setting, while yelling "look-what-I've-created" and churning new books out in less time that it takes the average person to get undressed.

Then again, my actual experience with the Fantasy genre boils down to Hobbit, LOTR, the first 6 Dragonlance books, and the two first Harry Potter ones. And that's spread evenly over the past 20 years.

Okay, so I read Discworld these days. But that can hardly be labeled as Fantasy. Pratchett is Pratchett - no matter what setting he takes on.

I prefer my bookshelves filled with the works of Pratchett, PG Woodhouse, Bill Drummond, Haruki Murakami, Ben Elton, Stephen Fry, Nick Hornby, or Douglas Coupland. I guess I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to reading material - I never indulge in fiction to escape. I always want to bring something back. And fantasy just doesn't do that for me.
Stephen King said a very profound thing in "On Writing", his non-fiction work about the craft and his accident. He said that all the modern fantasy writers probably read Tolkein as a child, and are trying to re-create the hobbits for themselves. I kinda agree. BUT! I do use fiction to escape, be it fantasy, sci-fi or horror.

Pratchett - an acquired taste, I've read them all, loved every minute.
Ben Elton - not as good as he used to be, Dead Famous was very clever
Stephen Fry - reading the books is almost like listening to him speak, that very deadpan style
Nick Hornby - adore his work, can't wait for the next one

Oh, and Jan, we met at Back in Time Live 3 queuing outside - I was the guy in the Commodore Scene cap which you made fun of :D
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

here are some of my other favorite books...

Post by ifadeo »

...all stuff from:

Douglas Coupland: 'Microserfs' and Generation X

and we forget to talk about Douglas Adams all of his
stuff is brillant..for example: 'Starship Titanic'....
it's so sad that he died a few years ago... R.I.P.

douglas i miss you...

cheers 2Klang
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:I guess I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to reading material - I never indulge in fiction to escape. I always want to bring something back. And fantasy just doesn't do that for me.
Don't know if I read fantasy to escape, maybe I do. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to fantasy, sci-fi, etc. I feel it helps my imagination, and I think imagination is very important. Of course, you need to keep your feet on the ground, but to have your feet totally fixed to the ground is utterly boring. :)

But I read a lot of different stuff. Haven't read much latetly though. I prefer to read comedy-stuff though. Like Pratchet. I'm not very good at namedropping comedy authors, so if anyone has any suggestions, please educate me. :)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Makke wrote: ... so if anyone has any suggestions, please educate me. :)
Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams

cheers 2Klang
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

i don't read so much these days, one of those uk people work too many hours to even have chance to fart!

but i did read and still do Terry Brooks, the fabulous "kingdom for sale/sold" series is awesome!
Shame he wrote episode 1 of the starwars series! :(

i used to read a lot of the dragonlance books in the past, hence the name, "Tas", short for Tasslehoff Burrfoot" :)
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Yeah, Terry Brooks, that Landover series rules. A perfect combo of dry American humour and fantasy - plus he plays around with conventions.

Douglas Adams? I'm currently reading Salmon of Doubt, the "collected" writings from his hard-drive. I wasn't sure about the idea when I first heard it, but oh boy is it good!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

Neil wrote:i used to read a lot of the dragonlance books in the past, hence the name, "Tas", short for Tasslehoff Burrfoot" :)
Me too :) The Dragonlnace Saga was what got me really interested in Fantasy. Afther having tried the Dungeons&Dragons role-playing game I wanted to read some Fantasy books... I went to the local library and the first result from my search was... Dragons of Autumn Twilight :D The rest is history... The books were a "comfort" to me during a eriod of my life where I really needed it so... They'll always have a very special place in my heart :)
<--- I went that way --->
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

apart from wies and hickman (oh, are those names right?)

i also enjoyed Richard A. Knack, especially the book "Kaz the minotaur", brillaint book!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

do they still make the dragonlance books? they stopped selling in the UK while they were still being wrote! it became very hard to find the later part of the series!
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

2Klang wrote:Douglas Adams
Ah yeah, I've read HHGTTG :)
Glyn R Brown
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Glyn R Brown »

I've never read a book in my life :( except for when i was at school :lol:
I just don't seem to have the patience for it , i can't even be bothered to read my " Catalogue sized " Triton manual ...
Hey ! :idea: Perhaps one of you guys would like to read it , then you could explain to me how the damn thing works ... Ha Ha !!!
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I usually read when I go to bed. I use a good book to get me in bed in time. Otherwise I'll sit up by the computer till I fallasleep :)