X-Out

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

X-Out

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Hey,

Just a quick question. My X-Out mix is strictly speaking an Amiga/C64 remix. Can I upload it?

Neil? Anybody? What's your view on remixes that stem from both systems?

Rafael
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

That does present a bit of a problem, and is one of the reasons why in the end the Amiga vs C64 thing is much murkier than it appears, especially for people like Huelsbeck. For the moment my personal opinion would be to put remixes up which are equally famous on both platforms, or more famous on the Amiga. Putting up an old C64 cover because there happened to be an Amiga conversion is on the dodgy end of the scale :)
And leaving the HVSC Path in the ID3 tags isn't a great way to establish that it was intended as an amiga remix all along...

I think CraigG's idea about the combined charts 'n stuff was good, but it requires a degree of integration that perhaps the scene isn't ready for yet.

Chris
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Err.. and now?

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Chris,

So what does that mean for me? The track was originally an Amiga tune, then later converted to the 64 by Fame. It was ok for R64, because it is a 64 remix. But on the other hand, the original is the Amiga tune.

Rafael
hoomish
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by hoomish »

I know what you're saying, but your remix actually uses a little bit of the SID, unless I'm mistaken; the 'Get Ready For X-Out' sample is from the C64 version, yes? The Amiga tune had a much clearer sample as I recall...

Correct me if I'm wrong :wink:
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Ok!

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Ok, it does. I don't have X-Out on the Amiga anymore. So I had to use that. And if I had used the 8bit Amiga sample, I'd get the tune banned from R64 instead, ha ha. :lol:

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of remix I've done. :lol:

Rafael
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> So what does that mean for me?
Well, if it were me, I'd class it as an Amiga remix, probably, due to not having played it on the C64 or whatever. It's not exactly a C64 classic, but it IS an Amiga classic from what I can gather.

But it isn't me, it's Paul :)

Chris
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

I just had a quick listen at the TFMX of X-Out and your remix really sounds more AMIGA than C64; this is certainly because the TFMX with it´s sample-sound gives a far better idea of what sound and direction Chris Hülsbeck wanted X-Out to be.
putzi
Paul Vanukoff

Post by Paul Vanukoff »

Rafael,

It's your call. If you want to up it I'll post it. Chris and putzi both make good points, and having not listened to the TFMX myself (and not able to at the moment or in the near future because my home computer's HD died :( ) - that's good enough for me. BTW there are 5 submitted remixes that are waiting to be posted, hopefully I can get that done today during class :P

I imagine there will be a lot of crossover especially in the beginning. Chris is right, the Amiga/C64 thing is murkier than it appears.

This will take a while to sort out.
Paul Vanukoff