Hamachi

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Hamachi

Post by xo »

Anyone using this http://www.hamachi.cc/ ? We could make a scene network. :)
StormKeeper
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by StormKeeper »

Looks interesting...
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Maybe I could use this to connect my 2 pc's (sharing a router rather than network cards to each other). Good linky - Thank you.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oooh, that looks interesting.

Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Nop, didnt work (trillian does).... nice try though, looks like ill have to stick with writeing off rewritable discs to share files between the pc's. Ill keep it on though, I think it could replace my ftp software.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Looks interesting.
Regarding sharing remixes... as I have all my copies right on my internet machine... Hmm... Nice idea.

Except for the fact, that I'm offline most of the time...
All is lost.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Matrix, there are some basic steps you need to take to make this work. There's Windows Firewall setup, Network Setup Wizard and then there's different approaches depending on whether you're using simple or advanced NTFS file sharing.

The Network Setup Wizard will let you activate the file sharing. The firewall must be configured to not filter the Hamachi network and to have an exception for file and printer sharing. You must also setup a password on the administrator account as well as activate the guest account. Those are the steps I made to make it work. Windows networking ain't a pleasure, yet.

I don't know the implications of the pressence multiple nodes on the same router. Not much of a network guy.

This peer-to-peer system does have some nice characteristics, security-wise, since its split into secure groups and yet traffic can still flow between groups.

I'm experimenting with setting up a peer-to-peer hub on top of Hamachi. The benefit? If there are multiple people having the same file, you can take advantage of the network effect and get maximum transfer speeds. Its a beauty. Shareaza and DC++ on the radar.

Another possibility is to setup FTP servers with accounts so as to restrict access from within a group. I suppose NTFS can do the same, although I haven't quite mastered it yet.

As for sharing. In particular mods, I have a substantial number of scene mods I wouldn't mind sharing - rather swapping. Mods are also great because they don't take up much space. I've made a program to automatically leech mods from sites such as Amiga Music Preservation (impostering as IE), it sucks having to sort the mods afterwards tho, so I haven't pursued that.
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Yoshi »

This is great! Thanks for the tip! :D
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

exoskeleton wrote:Matrix, there are some basic steps you need to take to make this work. There's Windows Firewall setup, Network Setup Wizard and then there's different approaches depending on whether you're using simple or advanced NTFS file sharing.

The Network Setup Wizard will let you activate the file sharing. The firewall must be configured to not filter the Hamachi network and to have an exception for file and printer sharing. You must also setup a password on the administrator account as well as activate the guest account. Those are the steps I made to make it work. Windows networking ain't a pleasure, yet.

I don't know the implications of the pressence multiple nodes on the same router. Not much of a network guy.

This peer-to-peer system does have some nice characteristics, security-wise, since its split into secure groups and yet traffic can still flow between groups.

I'm experimenting with setting up a peer-to-peer hub on top of Hamachi. The benefit? If there are multiple people having the same file, you can take advantage of the network effect and get maximum transfer speeds. Its a beauty. Shareaza and DC++ on the radar.

Another possibility is to setup FTP servers with accounts so as to restrict access from within a group. I suppose NTFS can do the same, although I haven't quite mastered it yet.

As for sharing. In particular mods, I have a substantial number of scene mods I wouldn't mind sharing - rather swapping. Mods are also great because they don't take up much space. I've made a program to automatically leech mods from sites such as Amiga Music Preservation (impostering as IE), it sucks having to sort the mods afterwards tho, so I haven't pursued that.
Yeah I hear ya, but im a total numpty with networks, hence my setup is as follows:

PC1 ---- 8 Port Switch ------- 1 Port NAT Router -------- Internet
PC2 ---- 8 Port Switch ------- 1 Port NAT Router -------- Internet
PC3 ---- WiFi Router ----------8 Port Switch ------------- 1 Port NAT Router ---------- Internet
Laptop - WiFi Router ----------8 Port Switch ------------- 1 Port NAT Router ---------- Internet

There is no network as such... all 3 pc's connect to the net not each other. Trillian only works because you are sending small files from ICQ number to ICQ Number across the net. For big file I just pop em on a DVD/RW disc and walk across the office.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Matrix - here's what you do

Step 1. Install the Hamachi client on all machines
Step 2. Create a network on one machine via Hamachi (this is ultra simple)
Step 3. Join the new network via Hamachi (equally simple)

You're done.

All your machines can see eachother through the windows network. E.g. if one machine is called "matrix", you can go to another machine and type "\\matrix" in explorer and you'll be able to browse the machine, its shared files that is.

You MAY have to go through additional steps I've outlined in the hamachi document on my homepage - but not necessarily - for many (perhaps most) it just works.

So this is all you need to get it up and running. See?

Once this is done, you can exchange files, do LAN games, do FTP for the limited Hamachi network etc.
Last edited by xo on 14/10/2005 - 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I did steps 1 to 3 with no success. The machines here dont see each other, ive tried many times.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

How great of me to mention a document without providing a link to it. Here's a how-to document that provides additional info if the basic setup is insufficient. It is what I had to do to make it work. Hope that helps.

http://bent-rasmussen.info/hamachi/hamachi-en.html

ps. Vista has a lot of improvements in the networking stack but so far Hamachi doesn't run on it. (Beta 2)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Ill remember that, im running Vista on the laptop. Got your PM too, many thanks for that.