Back in Time Live 2007 - official thread

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

There may be some truth in what Tas is saying there ... and *maybe* as far as big gigs are concerned maybe those days are over ....

But ... Pub gigs! Cheap to organise, easy to arrange ... and no chance of cash loss! ...

Well, just a thought ... kinda dont want to put it to bed just yet.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

RetroMarkie wrote:How many would fancy it?
Oxford, eh? How hard is it to get there from Stansted (cheap flights, that why I ask)? It's not that far so it should be doable, right?

My personal concerns are the following:

1. Get off work. If the meet up is on a Saturday, this shouldn't be a problem. I can fly in late Friday, or early Saturday, and back again Sunday. This naturally means I need to have work to get off, but with how things look I should be employed by then.

2. The money. If I have a job the money will most likely not be an issue, if I don't they'll be a big baby-got-back issue.

I don't mind it being a small gig. The music unites us, but frankly what makes me come back is the people. :)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Makke wrote: 1. Get off work
Its called a "HOLIDAY" mate ;)

Oxford isnt a bad idea, I used to live in Cowley and its a cracking night out :)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

Basically I can now get a free venue ... we can have the music we want and Im sure I can get say 10 C64's and 10 Amiga's + and handful of consoles ....

I would organise a raffle ... Kenz could *maybe* run a shop?

Just for fun ... lets say we do this as a mix with YakYak ... call it a BIT/RV and pencil a date of Saturday 10th February 2007 in Oxford ...

If Mark and Ben fancied doing a acoustic gig that would be ace!

Who, based on those few details would be prepared to bung a fiver in a hat for such a possible gig? - be advisied I havent spoken to either Mark or Ben as yet ... just feeling the water ...

Who's in? Say AI!
naughtyboy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by naughtyboy »

Hey! Seth Sternberger of 8 Bit Weapon here!

My wife* and I are plannignn a european tour next summer, and this would be a great gig to play as the finally!

Why not have the best of both worlds? Live and Electronic??

Much Luv,

-Seth
http://www.8bitweapon.com
http://www.computeher.net - *wife :)
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

naughtyboy wrote:Hey! Seth Sternberger of 8 Bit Weapon here!

My wife* and I are plannignn a european tour next summer, and this would be a great gig to play as the finally!

Why not have the best of both worlds? Live and Electronic??

Much Luv,

-Seth
http://www.8bitweapon.com
http://www.computeher.net - *wife :)
Dates my friend ... this could be done! and a blast would be had by all!
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

This all sounds great to me - I'm really missing the events and meetups so count me in. And if you want me to run a stall, no problemo! :D

Kenz running the stall in 2007

And if the Naughtyboy is going to be there then I'm DEFINITELY going to be there. Seth RULES! 8)
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

Cheers Kenz mate ...

All I can say is I REALLY wanna do this ... but we do need folk behind us ... a few quid each is all we need and we can put on a show!

FACT we cant afford a mega sound system so we do it acoustic
FACT we cant afford a big venue so we get it free
FACT we cant afford posh hotel rooms so I'll supply a B&B list
FACT we have a huge volume of CD's for the music! Enough for a week!
FACT we can dig together and supply tech
FACT we can did together and supply screens
FACT we wont actually make any money! Suits me, dident want any, I wanna good time with mates ...

FACT we can bloody do this! As Dan said it's about people ...
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I'll hold out for sidstock, thanks though...
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

Matrix wrote:I'll hold out for sidstock, thanks though...
could be a long wait ... maybe never ... It's that kinda gig that is a nightmare to organise and is filled with financial horror.

Having said that ... I know of a few fab pubs with awesome gardens by the river ... that *may* be an opening for somthing like Sidstock ...

We would still need a good sound system ... and be able to pay the musicans which would be an issue because within a pub garden it would be impossible to sell tickets as normal pub goers would mix with gig people ... UNLESS ... we managed to get the pub to pay for us as a mini concert thereby giving them the job of publicising the gig.

Somwhere within that is an idea ... feel free to find it.
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

Matrix I hate you ... I've dropped into thinking mode again ... see, see, see what you did ... baa ... I've got idea's zooooming around ... options, thoughts and plans ....

bloody hell ;-)
Boz
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Boz »

Ello!

Hmmm... Me? In Oxford? Meeting old Retro friends and drinking plentiful amounts of beer? With my reputation?

;)

Sounds like a great idea to me. As Makke said earlier, we'll have to see what sort of transport is available from Stansted to Oxfordcestershireland. A direct route would certainly help, seeing as the Ryanair flights are as cheap as chips.

But you get an AYE from me!

Kenz... re: above picture; you've gone grey very quickly since I last saw you... love the 'tache though ;)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, I'd like to see the guys again: just depends on whether I get the "time off". However, I am still talking with Seth about resurrecting the "BIT Live in London" idea with a chipmusic slant (you know, the idea that got rejected by the Soho Lounge a while back). That would be a "proper" BIT Live, a la Gossips, albeit with chipmusic at its core.

Plus there's the whole "studio" thing (those in the know will know what I'm talking about).

The Oxford one sounds just like a "turn up and chew the fat" kind of thing, which would be nice. Can we see how the Seth thing pans out before developing any of the ideas any further? He's put out a call for venues for the micromusic crowd, and if nothing comes of that, then I'm giving up again and throwing my weight behind this meet, although I think if this is going to happen regularly it should get a new name rather than BIT/RV (it's neither really).

How about "SID Pissup 2007"? :)

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Just to throw my thoughts in.....

Pub sounds great. Some pubs have private function rooms which they will hire out for free so long as you fill the place with people willing to drink copious amounts of beer. If that's what Markie is gunning for then I think the idea might just work.

To repeat the point Dan and Makke have made, it really is about getting a great group of people togther for a meet up, and perhaps an opportunity for a couple of up close and personnel acoustic 'buskers' sets in between the C64 remix playlist.
I agree in part with Tas - the days of big events seem over, but surely the freindships that have formed directly because of those events are still around, with a great feeling of wanting to "get together sometime".

A warm gathering of friends with a love of SID music, in one venue, with beer and maybe a little live music? Sounds real good.

What say ye ?

P.S. Should there be a old rickety piano in the corner of said pub I am available for C64 requests after 10 pints
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

tas wrote:I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, but i think the good days are pretty much over in regards to all this.
Hey mate, what goes for you does not necessarily go for everyone else. No offense, but in the days when we ran the site together we used to smile at people who wrote exactly that, because we knew they were wrong.