Timbaland in unauthorised SID usage allegations

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I was just reading CM Issue #107 U.K. Edition. when I came across this in the expert advice q&a section.

Here is part of the question & Answer

Q: How should people go about copyright protecting their music? Is it worth it nowadays?

A: When you create an original piece of music, it's already protected under UK copyright law. The difficult part is proving when a piece was written. The traditional approach has always been to send yourself a copy of your track in the post via registered delivery, leaving the envelope sealed upon receipt. This would be quite easy to fake, though,, so its worth is questionable. However, in the unlikely event that someone as to rip you off and make enough money for it to be worth pursuing, the original arrangement and audio files from your sequencer could prove useful, so make sure you keep well organised backups. Check out the MCPS-PRS Alliance webpage at http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk for more on UK music copyright issues.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

Steppe wrote:Now it appeared on the Heise newsticker as well (german only):
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/83835

Glenn, I hope you take the hand Chris reached out to you. He's probably the most competent help you can get. I really keep my fingers crossed that this all is not just hot air, but eventually pays back for you and Tempest.

Steppe/HVSC Crew
That site caused quite a boost on unique visitors of c64.sk (usually its around 700). Yesterday I had 977 and now whit "heise" it's 1626 ppl and 3 hours left. Interesting.

Only higher ammount I had about 3 years ago on 1st april ;-)
http://www.c64.sk - C64 Scene News
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

A little bit off topic perhaps, but I really didn't think this was legal. I mean, at this site you can get around the clerance of samples by buying their services instead which are pretty damn accurate remakes of songs.
You are a musician, producer, or record company. You have a really great track you want to release so you can make lots of money. However, the track includes one or more samples - and guess what - you either can’t get clearance to use the sample, or costs for using the sample are so high they are really cutting into the artist’s share of the money.

The solution is simple.

Never use samples again in a finished track. Really. Just don’t do it any more. It costs you too much. It isn’t worth it. Instead, get your samples replayed for you by Replay Heaven. With our extensive range of recording facilities, instruments, arrangers and session musicians we can accurately mimic virtually any sample you want. Your track will sound the same, but our charges will be less than the sample clearance.
Oh well, I guess there is a hole in the law for anything.

http://www.replayheaven.com/

Check out their samples.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

'Tis true, 'tis legal. I'd like to see them successfully recreate a SID tune from scratch though :)

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Sick :/

But yeah, maybe they have an opening for a SID-composer? I mean, now that Timbaland has made SID's the new hot thang again ;)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

k_rostoen wrote: http://www.replayheaven.com/

Check out their samples.
Very interesting!
They're not even very good - I think I could get as close to some originals as they do! :roll:
And isn't it like that they still need the rights if they replay the whole musical idea? No matter if it's sampled or replayed?!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Romeo Knight wrote:
k_rostoen wrote: http://www.replayheaven.com/

Check out their samples.
Very interesting!
They're not even very good - I think I could get as close to some originals as they do! :roll:
And isn't it like that they still need the rights if they replay the whole musical idea? No matter if it's sampled or replayed?!
Hey, you've got a point there. I should have spotted that!

Chris
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Andreas Wallström wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:
Markus Schneider wrote: Erhhm, if you talk to him, you might remember him of the 800 pounds I still get for the Tusker AMIGA music & fx from 1992 he never paid.
And: no, I don't want to drive his left-handed BMW instead :wink:
I already talked to him: I was expecting him to ring me up angry, and I wasn't disappointed (he's such a predictable guy!)

His last words to me were "Sue me. You're nobody, you're a chancer, f*ck off" Plus he called me a c*nt. This was because I reminded him that he didn't own most of the music created for System 3 games. I was very polite, too ;-)

Chris
So all stories from people who worked with him are true. How sad, and how very childish to call you a c*nt and tell you to bugger off. Lame.
Well, I can't say he treated us very well when we released Fuzzball on the Amiga back in -91 as well... ...but hey, that's history and many people know it... ...too bad he continues in the very same way... :roll:
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

OT: I thought LN4 was canned for good? Is it up for release again?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

beyond wrote:OT: I thought LN4 was canned for good? Is it up for release again?
This is for LN on the Wii, DS and PSP. I think it's a return to the LN1 codebase. I do know John Twiddy is one of the few people who still seems to be able to work with Mr Cale.

Chris
hoomish
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by hoomish »

Only just seen this thread - taken me a while to get to the bottom too!

Anyhoo... @Chris: interested to hear about Mr Cale... I take it he intends to ignore what you've said and simply press on?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

hoomish wrote:Only just seen this thread - taken me a while to get to the bottom too!

Anyhoo... @Chris: interested to hear about Mr Cale... I take it he intends to ignore what you've said and simply press on?
"Sue me"

Well, OK, Mr Cale, I'll get MCPS to do just that.

Chris
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Check this Timbaland Interview. He is really full of himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0z4BHnoNc
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Worped
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Worped »

Chris Abbott wrote:'Tis true, 'tis legal. I'd like to see them successfully recreate a SID tune from scratch though :)

Chris
I saw a very interesting documentary on the infamous K-Tel company (from back in the 70's and 80's). In order to reduce their costs, they started hiring the original artists to go back into the studio (owned by K-Tel) and re-record their songs. They produced near identical recordings which were now owned by K-Tel, eliminating the need to pay the owners of the original recordings (the other record companies).