Timbaland in unauthorised SID usage allegations

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

You always hear how, Dumbo makes good beats. I have an issue with that statement. It should be called he does a good job splicing samples together. Honestly... does he sit infront of an MPC Drum Machine or use a Sampler and load individual Drum hits and sequence them together into a fresh beat??

He's a glorified splicer.... splicing samples together in ProTools or whatever else... does not take much talent to do that.

Coming up with you're own Riff / Synth line from scratch is not easy....but he doesnt do that now does he??

Hip Hop seems to be 100% Sample Based.... basically staking snippets of other peoples hard word and claiming it to be you'res.

Like ripping out pages from hundreds of books, and re-gluing them together with a new cover and calling it you're own literary genius creation.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Thunderer
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Thunderer »

I think the correct term would be "hearing ghosts" :)

...but it's inevitable isn't it. He got caught red handed and claiming its his own work. People are going to listen to his stuff with greater scrutiny and point a finger at him whenever something vaguely familiar comes up.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

razmo wrote: Production team? ... *SIGH!* what happened to true artistic pride?
There are very rich painters who dont even do the actually painting... they rather give guidelines to painters who do the painting for them.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thunderer: very true. :)

Analog-X: Well it's music heavy on beats, and I think it's a misconception that creating a good techno / rap / whatever beat does not require much talent (regardless of the timbo discussion). Take the intros of Nelly's "Say it right" or of "Give it to me" - whoever made that beat made it with great groove, punch, drive - and it sounds fresh in the way of unheard before. It carries the whole tune.

I think it's a mistake to burn everything he does at the stake because of his idiotic behaviour - that would just make us seem implausible and overly biased. Choosing SIDs as raw material and GRG/Janne's tune at least shows that he has a good taste, doesn't it... too bad he simply ignores the creators.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Thunderer
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Thunderer »

razmo wrote:The Timbaland Marshmellow man is commin'! :shock:

OMG it's true!

Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

LMan: You're right about dissing (to use a phrase Dumbo probably know) his other work... but you have to give us; you can help it!.... remember the story about the boy who cried "Wolf!" :wink:

And about those nice graphics: NIIIIICE! :lol:

Guess we'll just have to exchange Chris' two children under each arm with something else.... might have worked if it was Michael Jackson but... :roll:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

and about beats... it seems that Timbaland has ripped beats from other HipHoppers if I am to believe that diss'in video of that Rap group...

Now much music these days are heavily filled with Sample CD beats.... I can even hear a lot of these here in the scene.... now that's allright afcourse, since that is what the Loop CD's are for, but to me, it is a sign that people don't want to waste time on doing a good drumbeat, or because they simply do not have the skill.... and admitted, it can save A LOT of time to start out with a loop, and it most likely give your music a twist it would normaly not have had, because you don't groove the way the creator of the loop do it.... but to claim that YOU can make a good groove, if you just use a drumloop is to me just as much an oversztatement on behalf of the user.

I bet Dumbo is using loop CD's as well.... with that amount of sampling he does, it would be the exeption if he did not I'd say... now I cannot prove this, but it's my best guess! :roll:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

razmo wrote:LMan: You're right about dissing (to use a phrase Dumbo probably know) his other work... but you have to give us; you can help it!.... remember the story about the boy who cried "Wolf!"
I know, it's so damn tempting :D

Nice analogy with the Wolf story... interestingly Wikipedia states that his rival producer Scott Storch has said that Timbo's recent success is just the result of his production partner "Danja".

As I said, my respect for him dropped from 100 to zero when the whole "Do It" story unfolded. You just don't know if he is the one to credit any more.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I have basically stopped employing loops in my tunes because it's pre-manufactured work, as you said.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

When I see Dumbo do something like this LIVE!, I'll admit to him being a beats man.... not before! 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdS2QJzX ... ed&search=
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

LMan wrote: Analog-X: Well it's music heavy on beats, and I think it's a misconception that creating a good techno / rap / whatever beat does not require much talent (regardless of the timbo discussion). Take the intros of Nelly's "Say it right" or of "Give it to me" - whoever made that beat made it with great groove, punch, drive - and it sounds fresh in the way of unheard before. It carries the whole tune.
I wonder how much of the work in he's production is actually done by him rather than some techie hidden in the background doing all the work.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Scott Storch dissing Timbaland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CLfVXPKDcc
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Analog-X wrote: I wonder how much of the work in he's production is actually done by him rather than some techie hidden in the background doing all the work.
Yeah exactly. :? As you said, a rich painter. Oh well, pride goes before a fall. :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

After you're worth a certain amount of money, it's actually economically irrational to do any work yourself that you could delegate to someone much cheaper. So you could argue that whatever else he's being, he's being economically rational :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?