Britney Spears and C64!!! (Timbaland Connection)

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Britney Spears and C64!!! (Timbaland Connection)

Post by Analog-X64 »

A new Britney Spears song, 'Gimme More', is expected to be played on US radio stations next week.

Billboard reports that sources at Spears' record label Jive said that the up-tempo song would appear on the singer's new album, but it had not been decided whether it would be the lead single or just an album track.

'Gimme More' was produced by Timbaland collaborator Nate 'Danjahandz' Hills.

TMZ website has posted two links to songs that are supposed to be demo songs from the upcoming album, and
indeed they sound C64ish... you be the judge. :)

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/britney_1.mp3
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Britney Spears and C64!!! (Timbaland Connection)

Post by Razmo »

Holy shit! ... we now have Timbaland, Britney, Timberland, Nelly... better hold on to your SID Station Analog X!!!... in half a year, they might be worth as much as a TB-303 :lol:

I have a feeling that a lot of focus will hit the scene at some point... it seems as if this SID sound is about to become mainstream... and again this "Nate" name shows up...
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

All this publicity is great for the scene, it will bring fresh blood, and possibly new remixers, but at the same time, it will probably cause headaches for people like Chris who have to worry about Copyright infringements.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Maybe the mainstream business will get their eyes up for some of the remixer's here in the future... now who would not be surprised to get a private message here from the management of some bigshot mainstream VIP!? ... damn! I'd have a serious debate with myself about taking such an offer... I HATE mainstream! :lol: ... everybody has his price? ... hmmmm.... :?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Don't think that *anybody* of the bigshots will care only a little for the scene. :sly:

I also don't think that it will bring in fresh blood - it's different from Zombie Nation: that one had an instantly recognisable melody in it that you would associate with Lazy Jones on the c64 (yes it got me looking for c64 remixes back then).

I've played "Do It" to some friends, some found it hard to even perceive the SID arpeggios in it.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

When I was a C64 nerd in the late 80s, I always dreamed that professional Pop music be produced using the SID chip, but I had never thought that this dream would ever come true. Even the commercial songs "Where are you" by 16Bit and "Electrica Salsa" by Off, which were made using an Amiga, didn't sound really mainstream, so how could the little C64 ever compete in the world of "real" music!

Now, 20 years later, the SID chip finally made its breakthrough in commercial music: Some of today's biggest stars, Timbaland, Furtado, 50 Cent, Timberlake, Spears and very soon also Madonna have SID sounds in their songs.

This is so cool!!! Isn't there anyone else in here who thinks this is cool?
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Omoroca: Sort of cool... I'm not into mainstream music... it's cheap in most cases, and I don't really know if I want to see mainstreams sticky hands come here and destroy SID sounds :? ... but I guess I'll have no choice... if they like it, they'll use it... (to recite someone in the industry :roll: )

I bet they'll take the SID sound, and use it in their own cheap mainstream way, and I wonder if any of it will resemble anything scene'ish.

Well wait and see...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I'll say what I said on Lemon:it's not a spearhead, a vanguard, or a new dawn for SID music. It's rich people realising there's a cheap trend they can jump on and make some money. As usual, nothing will happen for the scene, because it's all about money and cheap borrowed credibility: which no one wants to share with people like us.

And, as usual, the use of SID seems to be like "woah! burbly soundz 2 put in ma songz!". That's not a fair reflection on the musical skill and variety over here: but then, they're not interested in that.

Although I'm still trying to get things happening. There's at least one project that might amount to something, but 10 years of disappointment kind of makes you a lot more cynical about these things.

Also: how long before people begin to associate SID with these big stars? "Timbaland made his fame using a unique sound that was all his own work and illuminates his genius", they'll be writing in Wikipedia in 10 years time.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

And we, the scene, will appear in the chapter "where it all began". What's so bad about that?

We were here first, and no one can take that away from us.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Meh. Being first isn't all it's cracked up to be if history forgets you.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Omoroca... I like your enthusiasm and optimistic view on things, and I hope you are right... but if you take a quick look at Timbaland, something tells me, that it will never happen... they don't give a damn... they see us as a source of "sample CDs" and "preset instruments" that they'll use for their own fame... nothing else. Just listen to the Dissin' video of Timbaland (that RAP video); they are rappin': "Your popcorn bleeps don't cut it"... or something like that... THEY don't even know he ripped those sounds! they believe it's his! just hearing them rap that made me sick! no respect for SID sounds...

Chris: Exactly what you said! and that's why I don't like them turning their "evil eye" on the SID sound. What really should be happening is, that someone has the funds and interrest to TRY and make this scene commercial with good advertisement... but it'll be dead expensive, and out of reach for most of us, but the current trend sort of tell me, it's doable, if some rich mothafucka just dare take a chance on REAL SID music!

Had I the money, I'd have done it, success or not... it's a fire burning inside you as a scener to make ordinary people acknowlede the sheer power of HVSC.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

I have a different view on the HVSC and SID music than you.

When I was a kid, I thought: I like SID music, other people don't, so I must be a weirdo.

Now that I found you guys, I think: They also like SID music, so they must be weirdos, too. But it's good to be a weirdo among weirdos.

Whereas you seem to think: Other people don't like SID music, so they must be the weirdos. ;-)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

When I first heard the clip, I couldnt believe my ears, in the light of all the Sidish material coming out these days. My first reaction was to start this thread with just the link to the mp3, than I thought.... hmmm I better check some facts, I didnt want to sound paranoid. So it didnt take too long to find out how was the producer, at which point, I figured it was safe to post the info. :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Omoroca:

Nope... I felt exactly the same "weirdo" thing when I went to school back then... I actually made myself look stupid in school for showing off SID music in a school project (you should have seen both the teacher and students eyes when I played those tunes! :lol: )

I can fully understand, that people may not like those screaming sounds of the SID... what I do NOT understand is, that they cannot listen "behind" the SID sound, and hear how much great material is in the HVSC library...

Now I DO like the sound of SID, but I don't find it listenable for long periods of time, so my mission has until now been to remix these tunes with ear-friendly sounds. SOME SID sounds are cool though, and should be implemented in some remixes I think, simply because they are unique... the sounds that are almost impossible to recreate with better equipment should be glorified in remixes... sort of like a nice blend...

That is what I feel about SID music and sounds in general :)
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Didn't RollerGirl have SID in her early second-millenia megahit "Superstar"?