Booking your flight and getting to Brighton

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Tas wrote:cheap beer? £2.20 for a pint of fosters? cheap?

i pay about £1.20 in town centre of donny - Now thats cheap!

ha! still a damn site cheaper than london tho ;)
£1.20 for a pint of Fosters? That's stupendously cheap, a bargain even. 8)

Fosters is about £2.20 in Grimsby but that's due to a few trendy bars/clubs which have opened in this new Riverhead leisure complex right in the centre of town. It's definitely what the town needs even if the prices in them are a bit steep. The Wetherspoons in town is quite cheap though, about £1.80 a pint.

London's prices were a bit much. weren't they? I was a bit surprised at the time that Gossips were charging £3 for a bottle of Bud as well as for pints. :shock:

Thankfully we won't have those problems in Brighton. Though we might be rat-arsed at the end of the night anyway :)

Paul
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Thats not the norm, thats the cheapest. Tho the prices in donny do seem to be much cheaper than anywhere else in the UK. Average price for a pint i guess is about £1.60 a pint. It's all to do with competition ya see. there's something like 60+ pubs in a 1 mile area in donny centre and it's growing all the time.

Went to a wetherspoons in sheffield about 8 months ago and paid get this.... 90p for a pint of boddingtons. Needless to say i didn't come home sober. Pissed on a tenner (ha! thought those days were gone)
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

On the subject of getting pissed on not much cash, I remember one night in Cleethorpes where the bar was running a promotion where all the drinks in the pub operated under a kind of stock exchange system. All the standard prices for drinks was shown on the big screen TV and they would change in real-time during the night.

For example, let's take the Fosters at £2.20 a pint. If no one buys it, the price goes down by 10p every few seconds. Of course, if someone buys a pint, the price goes up by the same amount. 3 people buy Fosters, it goes up by 30p etc....

It got to the stage where everyone was watching the screen and waiting for the prices to drop really low then rushing to the bar. I remember getting a pint of Fosters for 60p, a pint of Boddingtons for 50p and a pint of Guinness for 90p. Funnily enough, there wasn't any violence when everyone was rushing to the bar. For a lager frenzy crowd, it was quite civil even when everyone was so pissed ('you're me best mate, you are') :P

I drunk so much eventually that my taste buds took on a life of their own when I started on the spirits (which I very rarely drink at all). Whisky, for example, was £1 a drink at one point. Quite an ill little Chappy in the morning I was.

There endeth the lesson: have respect for alcohol or face the consequences :P

Paul
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Markus Schneider »

Paul Chapman wrote:... running a promotion where all the drinks in the pub operated under a kind of stock exchange system. All the standard prices for drinks was shown on the big screen TV and they would change in real-time during the night.
In Germany, e.g. Hannover, we have a huge pub where this system is running every day. This is there special attraction. It's called "Bierbörse", translated it's "Beer Stock Exchange". But it's not only for beer they also have other alcoholics.
Markus
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Markus Schneider wrote: In Germany, e.g. Hannover, we have a huge pub where this system is running every day. This is there special attraction. It's called "Bierbörse", translated it's "Beer Stock Exchange". But it's not only for beer they also have other alcoholics.
Sounds like my kind of pub. :D

It's a shame that pubs in England don't seem to have the confidence in drinkers like the pub in Hannover does. There's probably too many lager louts in England for it to be the norm around the country (not that I'm including myself, obviously).

I'll just have to hope the promotion happens again locally but I doubt it. A trip to Hannover might be an idea if I can finally get on and sort myself out with a passport :)

Paul
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

sorry to burst your bubble again here, but shots are normally £1 in donny all the time. (about 30% of pubs). For some reason a double is only 10p -> 25p more! don't ask me how that works, but they do it!

Also there's a scheme where ya can buy 2 bottles of beer for the price of one (usually about £1.50) thats in about 50% of the pubs.

Donny can be a great place at times :)))

ha, and there's even a lap dancing pub to boot :) tho thats £5 to get in.
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Tas wrote:sorry to burst your bubble again here, but shots are normally £1 in donny all the time. (about 30% of pubs). For some reason a double is only 10p -> 25p more! don't ask me how that works, but they do it!

Also there's a scheme where ya can buy 2 bottles of beer for the price of one (usually about £1.50) thats in about 50% of the pubs.

Donny can be a great place at times :)))

ha, and there's even a lap dancing pub to boot :) tho thats £5 to get in.
No probs Tas. That's good to hear that spirits are quite low priced in Donny anyway :)

Being a beer drinker, spirits don't exactly come up high up on my list on a usual night out so I'll be more likely to go for the 2 for 1 beer option.

Funnily enough, I'll be at Doncaster racecourse tonight with a few mates from work so I'll see if the low prices extend to their bars too. :wink: Got to be in a suit as well because it's the members' enclosure we're occupying. Best behaviour for us......

The lap dancing club sounds fun :wink: When I'm next down there etc etc..... :)

Paul
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Oh yes, donny's famous racecourse. They are ploughing loads of money into thisplace over the coming years - 50 million or something absolutely pathetic. Ha! well, don't expect beer to be cheap there tho. You know what these sorts of venue's charge for a pint.

Incidentally donny is growning by the minuite, it's quite an exciting time around the borough. Super racecourse stadium in the plans, A new 15,000 football stadium and an international airport. Oh and not to mention that we keep trying for city status.

Ha! but who cares, beer is all we need right :)

hope you have a great night at the races. :)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

your from grimsby paul. You a footy fan too? since Donny has been drawn against you in the first round of the carling league cup. It'll be probable i'll be in grimsby for the return leg next month.
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Tas wrote:your from grimsby paul. You a footy fan too? since Donny has been drawn against you in the first round of the carling league cup. It'll be probable i'll be in grimsby for the return leg next month.
Yeah, I'm a big footy fan especially of Grimsby :)

I've had a look on the Football League's website and it only shows the game at Donny on 12th August not the return leg at Grimsby. I'll definitely be going to the match at Grimsby but I might go to the game at Donny anyway. I'm hoping that my Dad will go to both as well as he is a massive Donny Rovers fan :)

Whenever the return leg is, we could meet up as it's likely that I'll end up with all the Donny Rovers fans even at Blundell Park! I'm sure Dad will insist on sitting with them for both games :D

Btw, didn't get any winners in the racing last night. I'd got some tips from a bloke I share an office with and did a 'tote placepot' bet. Don't know if you know but each horse you select has to finish in the top 3 as it works in a similar way to an accumulator. It was going well till the 4th race where my horse (the favourite Tomasino) came last!!!! I was putting other bets on each race as the evening went on but didn't get anything back from them either :(

It was my first time at a horse racing event and a nice evening as well so I wasn't too disappointed. Ended up quite sober as well....which was nice :)

Paul
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

ha ya can tell i've been out of the league for too long, seems they don't have away legs anymore in the 1st round. Eh? when did that happen :)

you pop into the conference for a few years, and when ya come back it's all changed! haha!
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Tas wrote:ha ya can tell i've been out of the league for too long, seems they don't have away legs anymore in the 1st round. Eh? when did that happen :)

you pop into the conference for a few years, and when ya come back it's all changed! haha!
Hehe. I didn't realise they had done away with the two-leg format for the 1st round either :) Should still be a cracking game though....

Just recently come back from a holiday in York so money isn't exactly in plentiful supplies at the moment. :( I'll know for sure whether I'm going later this month but am already saving up for Brighton too.....

Paul
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Lack of pennies, ha tell me about it. Seems every single penny is accounted for at the moment. Tho already booked hotel at Brighton. There's quite a few of us at the same hotel "paskins"

Me, Glyn R Brown, Larsec, Infamous, Dan Glillgrass, Tomsk already and we are meeting up with Marcel, Sirkidd and oh i'm loosing track. lots more other peeps too.

oh and btw fella's there's still places left at the hotel, so if ya stuck try there.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Im unemployed...have no cash but Ill sell me mother to get to Brighton!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

funny that dan, yer mother has been saying the same about you for years :)