Finally here! :O)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Finally here! :O)

Post by Razmo »

Finally I have gotten the parts for making this little beast :)

This is without doubt the best hardware SID synthesizer engine you will find anywhere out there... nothing comes close (exept the MB6582 of course).

What I really like about this one is that everything exept for heatsink compound is with the package, including the casing. Only change I decided on in contrast to the picture here is, that the LCD will be exchanged with a black LCD with red characters.

Anyone interrested in hardware SID synths and a bit of soldering skills I can warmly recommend this kit.

Hope to get some new remixes out within some months using this little critter... and my other new geek items:

Yes yes... I know... I don't need all that crap, but it's a collectors problem :oops:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Finally here! :O)

Post by Doddsy »

That looks cool and a good alternative to the now expensive Sidstation.

Looking at the order list on the main website it just shows that there is still a market for sid synths. Too bad they have run out of them!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Doddsy wrote:That looks cool and a good alternative to the now expensive Sidstation.

Looking at the order list on the main website it just shows that there is still a market for sid synths. Too bad they have run out of them!
Late response, but;

SID Station is a piece of crap (sorry)... the OS has bugs, and it crashed often... the knobs were hopelessly brittle, and it did NOT support the 8580 SID chip or the 6582 as well. Compared to the MIDI Box SID V2 (and V1 for that matter) or the HardSID, it kicks ass simply put.

The HardSID is much better for playing back SID tunes in my opinion, or as realdeal equipment for C64 emulators.

Though, I have begun getting the feelin, that the MIDI Box SID V2 has become so comprehensive in it's engine, that I could someties wish for a much simpler engine that is easier to manage, but hey... you should not complain about features should you? :lol:

I build my SammichSID some time ago now, and it's still here with me, and will be for the rest of my life... this little devil packs more processing engine power than a DSI Prophet 8' 8)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I need to get off my butt and built my MB6582 I've got all the parts except for the main electronic components like the resistors and processing chips. I've got the SID Chips ready.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:I need to get off my butt and built my MB6582 I've got all the parts except for the main electronic components like the resistors and processing chips. I've got the SID Chips ready.
The MB6582 is one beast of a SID synth... you won't be disappointed. Basically it's the same as four SammicSID's with a more comprehensive user interface. The synthesis engine is basically the same.

The reason I chose the SammicSID was that it's easier to build, it's smaller, and basicaly I just wanted a single SID engine since I've no interrest in making polyphonic or multitimbral stuff with it.

But I still have quite a few SID chips left-over from when I initially wanted to make the MB6582.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

you've got a polysix!!! you bastard! >jealous< lol.

You should show us your studio set up all plugged in and ready to go, I got a feeling it'd be a gear heads wet dream.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Infamous wrote:you've got a polysix!!! you bastard! >jealous< lol.

You should show us your studio set up all plugged in and ready to go, I got a feeling it'd be a gear heads wet dream.
Well, I do have gearlust, I admit that flat and square :oops: ... but hey!... many men use all their savings on their car, I use mine on gear :lol:

Actually I'm not a big fan of a big and cluttered studio, which is actually a bit frustrating... I want the compactness of a digital studio, but the warmth of analog gear and the ability to touch, fiddle and tweak also... so... I just chose to be a hardware geek.

My studio is nothing compared to what you can find on many studio photo's on the net, but what I have has been very carefully selected, and I usualy go for rackmount versions of stuff, since it fill up much less space. Therefore many of the keyboards eventually get sold again when I find rack versions of them.

About the Polysix... yes... I actually came to love that beast much more than I ever anticipated... it's 100% analog, it's 6voice polyphonic and with an arsenal of analog build in effects... It just sounds SOOO warm and fat... any digital recreation loose hands down, PERIOD! ... and mine came with MIDI build in, which is a great extra. I actually buoght it from a friend for about 620 GBP (950 USD).

Currently I only have three keyboards... the Polysix, a Poly-800 (heavily modded by myself) and a whiteface Crumar bit99 which I also love dearly (Juno 106 like tone they say).

The latest addition I got recently, and which I also find to be the best in it's cattegory is this one:

Actually I'm in the middle of moving at the moment, but when I have everything up and running again, I'll se to it, that you get a picture of the studio :)