Land Of Future Past

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Land Of Future Past

Post by Commie_User »

Bedford HMV shop, roughly 30 years ago:

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/2012/ ... s-hmv.html

Yup, 30 Years Ago were already in full colour. I remember those 'flash' 1980s designs.

UNCROPPED: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4150/5057 ... 6221_b.jpg

I think when computers did far less, people were more impressed. Any job was a bedroom miracle when all was new and special. When few felt they needed scanners, digitisers or even modems. Now computers give us the moon on a stick as standard, the sparkle's gone.

Any special memories of computer shops? Myself, I was so wowed by micros I never gave them a chance as a boy. Until around nine, I thought you needed to be a wizard to run one past loading tapes, so stuck with playing the 2600 and Pong consoles.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Re: Land Of Future Past

Post by LMan »

What an awesome pic.

We were living on the countryside so on the occasions I drove to the city with my parents as a teenager, I just hung out at various computer shops, inhaling the experience and longing for all the stuff I couldn't afford. :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

LMan wrote:What an awesome pic.

We were living on the countryside so on the occasions I drove to the city with my parents as a teenager, I just hung out at various computer shops, inhaling the experience and longing for all the stuff I couldn't afford. :)
I used look forward to the annual and semi annual computer shows, so amazing. World of Commodore etc..
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Did you realise any significance of computers back then? Did '80s users forecast much of what was to come?

An Usbourne book of mine predicted the likes of the Xbox in 1983, with live action-style graphics - albeit in the form of an arcade-style stand. And Steve Jobs had his dreams, which came true.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8316&p=89505#p89505

I don't think I forecast much. I thought any new machine would have been pushing the designers' luck.

https://soundcloud.com/mbtech/talk-by-s ... -idca-1983

I disagree with some of these computer memories. The Apple Mac was the Apple Mac of the 1980s, plus the BBC Micro was a popular, attractive machine.

http://thisorthat.com/blog/6-computers- ... -the-1980s
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Commie_User wrote:Did you realise any significance of computers back then? Did '80s users forecast much of what was to come
Not forecasting, I just knew the Amiga was ahead of its time and doing Audio and Graphics on a computer was something new and amazing.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Our computer shops weren't that flashy because they were simple electronic shops, dominated by TVs, VCRs and the like. The first C64 was presented on 1m² surrrounded by waching machines and other machinery next to the Radios and Tellies. I live in a backwater area and computers were regarded as toys. When the C64 began to have significant sales numbers, it was moved from the electronics both to the toy section. Ironically - i remember that at first there was no peripherals available like Datasette or Floppy stations but ATARI game cartridges.

I felt a change with the C64. Suddenly so many people had a computer which was just unfeasable a few years before. It was not just a toy or an experimental device. I remember doing school stuff with it, coding my own programs (vocabulary trainer and such) and a paint program. Did even primitive electronic stuff like photoelectric barriers. Then the Amiga brought the graphics of the big arcade machines into our homes. I remember how awesome the impact of Bard's Tale on the Amiga was. That was a feeling like : "Welcome to the world of tomorrow!"

My first PC needed at least 4 years to reach a similar level of usability and there was no personal feeling in that machine at all. PCs never had any emotional impact on me, except for anger when a component decided to fry.
All is lost.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

A fantastic read fellas. How did you first get into 'doing' computers, rather than just playing them?

Thinking back, I was surprisingly careless about computers in the '80s. Spectrum +2 was the best home machine I saw or used, with RM Nimbus machines at school underused. Nobody really saw the point and my excitement rarely lasted more than ten or twenty minutes.

But seeds were sown: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8404

I never found out about word processing, DTP, proper graphic stuff, multimedia or anything like that until the start of the 1990s, at secondary school. Just as well as I wasn't ready to even tackle a proper computer until then. I didn't even get a 64 until nearly the end of its life. (There, I'm out.)

Though I do remember 1991, or whenever it was, finding the school's old PET 2001 slung into a rubbish skip. Fortunately the other junk cushioned its fall, I covered it with a large cone some kid made to keep the rain off and carried it all the way home after lessons. Weighed a ton.

Got it back, plugged it in, it switched on with that chirrup and... disappointment. My mother couldn't find any tapes for me and I didn't know how to make it go. But that kickstarted, at long last, technical involvement in computers deeper than typing LOAD. A calculator program from a school book was my first input. The library was started and I soon enjoyed messing around in BASIC with the school machines too. RM and BBC BASIC. Yeah.

I kept it in my grandmother's shed, so cats peed on it in the end. But I'll always remember it with fondness.
Last edited by Commie_User on 18/01/2013 - 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I went to a private school (paid for by Maggie Thatcher and a reasonable brain!) and they actually had a computer room with 8 Pet 4032s in it, all connected to a single double disk drive. A cut off bit of pipe was called "The Flag" and was used to control who had access to the disk drive. Pet 8 had a hi-res graphics board, so we all used it for creating Moire patterns :)

Later they bought BBC Micros. Z80 was a dirty word, apparently!

The most impressive thing I ever played on a Pet (apart from Pet Invaders) was the "unofficial" Hitch Hiker's guide to the Galaxy text adventure game (later on this was changed when the copyright holders got wind of it, but we had the "real" version!): my first introduction to hacking was in breaking into this game to change my location. Since games were frowned upon in the computer room, we had to program our own, favourites being "guess the number", and the one where you have a guy at the bottom of the screen and have to get the right key before the increasing lines of text hit you on the head...

Since the Pet had the awesome machine code monitor, it was also fun to hack the interrupts to put message on the screen that couldn't be erased. And I still think I remember the SYS for the reset :) (SYS 64738? Actually, is that the C64 one?)

Couple of years later I got my Atari 400 and the fun really began...
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Analog-X64 wrote:I just knew the Amiga was ahead of its time and doing Audio and Graphics on a computer was something new and amazing.

I can imagine that excitement. I feel it looking back at the old relics. And delving through a huge parcel of Amiga disks, I found someone else's photo album.

The 'Not Quite There Yet' '80s and early '90s did feel 'there' at the time.

Photos on computer - you think nothing of it today.

Hello madam!

I found a comedy sketch too: http://www.leftiness.org/kw_family_pics.zip
http://awesome.commodore.me/forum/showthread.php?t=598
shortguy
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by shortguy »

Found this topic really interesting. The first computer I remember using was the BBC computer at school and I think it had a dot matrix printer. The first gaming computer I used was the ZX spectrum with the basic program before I went on to the Amiga. I think that the way computers have now transformed is amazing with the PC based software but IMHO I really like using apple stuff it is much easier to use. Looking back at stuff though I really wish I still had a spectrum as I still have my Amiga which is great.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

And here's the Reading branch of the HMV Micro Shop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmvgetcloser/5118080180/

1986. So like today but so different. I think it's a mobile phone shop now.

How much would you give to pop back in time for a quick browse? I'd stay in town all day and take pictures, especially as it's my place.

Though going by 'home' would be pretty strange as I know I'd have to come back to go in there. If you see what I mean.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I bet it would smell smoky :) It's amazing how B/W photography makes a decade feel old...
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Well this one certainly might:

Yup, 30 Years Ago were already in full colour.
I do find my mind filling in the colour on recent B/W photos, though I'm surprised how hard it is to find colour ones once I delve. But of course most newsprint was monochrome back then, so I should have remembered.

HMV: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ONDAY.html

They're still keeping my branch as a flagship, so it's nice to see continuity.

I s'pose the shop would've been smoky, I forgot about that. It was all so normal at the time that I never would have cared to remember.

And I also covered the going back in time bit before. I mentioned something about having to have two jobs, one in each time period, to both have enough old money for retro stuff as well as pay the bills in the here and now.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8125
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Our local Secondary had the single ZX80/zx81 setup, before funding gave way to a specialized "Computer Room", where the Economics teacher was propelled into the legendary role of "Computer teacher". We all turned up one day expecting more zx81's to be confronted with banks of Link480z's and a big black 380z at the front, hooked up to a winchester drive running the whole setup. Then a bit later the BBC turned up and a lone Model B took up residence. CP/M was order of the day with limited graphics, virtually no sound, and ooh.. Access to Wordstar! heh..

It might seem bad , but hey it got me into college.. ( bearing in mind this was 1987 ), where we got to use the mighty Honeywell BULL mini computer, where people in white coats flitted round typing in the code you provided on paper because the damn thing didn't have enough runtime to share itself with all the class members heh.. You pretty much got to run your code in sequence.. write the code out, hand it to tech, come back in an hour, run it.. etc etc etc.. Sighhh hehe How we ever got anything done was something else..

Oh and not forgetting the day of the mighty Hard disk crash ( no self parkers on this baby ). A speck of dust or something must have got into the HD caddy..

The thing crashed like a 707, and came out looking like a 33 1/3rd.. heh Ahh the good old days! ( okay sort of.. heh not sure we REALLY needed to 'rediscover' Bresenham's method of drawing lines and circles by ourselves.. Damn you Bresenham, DAMN YOU!! :confusion: )

But you know what, aside from all of the crappy things we remember, and nostalgia can be a little rose tinted, it truly WAS an amazing time to be alive. Spectrum, C64 became social items, the Xbox/PS3 of it's time.. The kid you never noticed who lived down the road until his parents bought a 2600 for Christmas. Forget Electro!! Their was only ONE reason for a double tape deck with high speed dubbin'.The unwrapping of the C60 ( or the C15's from WHSmiths if you needed it fast ), graph paper and pencil crayons. Returning Mastertronic games back to the local garage saying they didn't work and getting a different game in it's place. The whole kit and caboodle.. Yep.. awesome times.!!

Though I STILL say NOT getting an Oric Atmos for Christmas because of my Uncle who actually DID research was a good thing hehe

Chris Abbott wrote:I went to a private school (paid for by Maggie Thatcher and a reasonable brain!) and they actually had a computer room with 8 Pet 4032s in it, all connected to a single double disk drive. A cut off bit of pipe was called "The Flag" and was used to control who had access to the disk drive. Pet 8 had a hi-res graphics board, so we all used it for creating Moire patterns :)

Later they bought BBC Micros. Z80 was a dirty word, apparently!

The most impressive thing I ever played on a Pet (apart from Pet Invaders) was the "unofficial" Hitch Hiker's guide to the Galaxy text adventure game (later on this was changed when the copyright holders got wind of it, but we had the "real" version!): my first introduction to hacking was in breaking into this game to change my location. Since games were frowned upon in the computer room, we had to program our own, favourites being "guess the number", and the one where you have a guy at the bottom of the screen and have to get the right key before the increasing lines of text hit you on the head...

Since the Pet had the awesome machine code monitor, it was also fun to hack the interrupts to put message on the screen that couldn't be erased. And I still think I remember the SYS for the reset :) (SYS 64738? Actually, is that the C64 one?)

Couple of years later I got my Atari 400 and the fun really began...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I remember REALLY wanting an Oric because of the "Zap" and "Ping" commands in its BASIC. I was _that_ shallow! In the end, I was lucky my first computer was the Atari 400.