Remix Feedback - The Last V8

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
gslapp

Remix Feedback - The Last V8

Post by gslapp »

Hey folks. I’m looking for a bit of constructive feedback in my latest release (first in about 10 years). It’s only had a lukewarm reception and I’m wondering if I’ve stuffed up or missed out on something.

https://www.remix64.com/track/graeme-sl ... own-remix/

Any comments gratefully received :worship:

Thanks!

(PS - I’m not fishing for votes - just looking for some advice)

Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: Remix Feedback - The Last V8

Post by Mordi »

Nice to see a comeback from you, Graeme. I think it sounds very good, but the track doesn't have a lot of dynamics in the arrangement. It stays on the same level of intensity throughout. Maybe a tad too much compression too? We've seen a lot of Jarre-esque takes on sids over the years, so that might be a factor too.

Just my two cents. Cool track!
Check out my website.

LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

Personally, I do not understand the yellow votes on this track - I voted one better on it with orange. The instrumentation is very good, the arrangement follows the original more or less, and overall, it's a really good production.

However, I didn't vote red on it, because that I usually reserve to tracks that make me go "wow". To be brutally honest with you, yours is a run-of-the-mill synth-heavy remix, which is very good by itself, but is not particularly exciting among the sea of similar synth-heavy remixes on RKO. I can't speak for others, but I have developed a sort of numbness to such tracks (and I am somewhat ashamed to admit this). A remix done in this style would have to have something exceptional in it to make me vote red on it. (And right now I'd be struggling to explain "exceptional" if you asked me about it. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes me go "wow" in a remix.)

I'm sorry if this may not be terribly useful to you, I'm just being open and honest with you.
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\

gslapp

Post by gslapp »

Thanks guys.

That's really helpful. I'm aware that I tend not to have enough variation in my arrangements and that's something I need to work on. I'm using FL Studio, which is pattern-based, and I think this is contributing to the lack of variety. I need to make more of an effort on this.

Also, my drum programming is lacking. In the Last V8 track, it's a single 4-bar pattern right the way through with just a few embellishments. Again, something I need to work on.

Mordi - I'd changed my mastering for this latest track and suspect that I've not got this quite right, hence your comment on the mix being a bit over compressed. Audio compression seems to be a bit of an art, and less certainly seems to be more!

LaLa - I appreciate the comment on the track being a bit synth-heavy. I am a keyboard player, and don't play guitar so I guess my tracks are always going to be based around synth instruments. I personally don't like electronic imitations of "real" instruments, so tend not to use them. Maybe it's more that this track, as Mordi had suggested, was a bit 2-dimensional which made the synthi-ness a bit too in-your-face?

As an observation (rather than a criticism) I've noticed that recently the more popular tracks on the site have tended to be a bit gimmicky - either a mash-up of a well know artist/style/track or a very distinct music genre. I'm not sure this is really my style, to be honest.

Over the past few years, life in general has caught up with me - trying to keep my career and home life on track, really! I reckon I need to get back into the swing of things a bit....! :wink:

LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by LaLa »

gslapp wrote:
<span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">04/01/2021 - 12:25</span>
I'm using FL Studio, which is pattern-based, and I think this is contributing to the lack of variety.
Pattern -> "Make unique" is your friend here. :) When I discovered this option in FL Studio, it made it so much easier for me to add subtle (and not-so-subtle) variations to repeating patterns!
gslapp wrote:
Also, my drum programming is lacking. In the Last V8 track, it's a single 4-bar pattern right the way through with just a few embellishments. Again, something I need to work on.
I'm not very good with drum programming, either, so I understand your frustration. The good news is that there are many VSTs and even straight-up MIDI files available out there with hundreds and thousands of drum-patterns in them - even if you don't want to use them as-is, they can give you some really good ideas on how to create variations, fills, etc.
gslapp wrote:
I personally don't like electronic imitations of "real" instruments, so tend not to use them. Maybe it's more that this track, as Mordi had suggested, was a bit 2-dimensional which made the synthi-ness a bit too in-your-face?
That's a perfectly valid philosophy to have! And yes, Mordi is probably right, the lack of variation/dynamics is what may have influenced my rating, too.
gslapp wrote:
As an observation (rather than a criticism) I've noticed that recently the more popular tracks on the site have tended to be a bit gimmicky - either a mash-up of a well know artist/style/track or a very distinct music genre. I'm not sure this is really my style, to be honest.
Please, do not let that discourage you from creating more remixes in the style you like! As I said, I quite like your remix, and I'm sure many others enjoy it, too. Please, keep at it! It's always such a joy to see "old" remixers making a return, especially with such solid remixes as yours! :D
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\

gslapp

Post by gslapp »

Lots of great advice. Many thanks :D 👍