Mixing/mastering for my song

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Mixing/mastering for my song

Post by omoroca »

Hi everyone!

I want to apply for a job as a music-related software engineer. And for my appication, I want to add a link to a MySpace page with some of my songs from different eras of my life. One of them is my 2011 C64 remix "Usagi", which you can find at http://www.remix64.com/track/omoroca/us ... i-warrior/

Unfortunately, this is only a raw version coming straight out of Renoise, without any mixing and mastering. I have to admit, I have never done that and wouldn't even know how to do it.

So would anyone be interested in doing the mixing/mastering for me? Of course your name will be mentioned on the MySpace page. Please write me a PM, and I will give you the uncompressed WAV files for each track of the song.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Trance4Mason
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Mixing/mastering for my song

Post by Trance4Mason »

Hi there,

This isn't the answer you were looking for, but as both a developer and a producer myself, I'd say give it a go yourself!

Obviously, if this is a specific vacancy that you want to apply for, then I imagine this won't be possible before the deadline for prospective applicants.

Even if you outsource all your mastering needs to professional studios (I'm not saying this is a bad thing - its usually the best way) I think that learning about the theory involved in common mixing/mastering techniques, even right down to the physics of sound production, would definitely be a positive addition to your skill set.

It can also really boost your production skills too, make you more productive in the studio, and give you added confidence and satisfaction that you have full control of the sound that you want to create.

Mixing and Mastering are still two different art forms, subjective to a point, and both can take years of practice to get right.

Hopefully this semi-motivational pitch (no pun intended!) has inspired you to go for it, and jump right in!

My personal sound production 'Bible' of choice is "Dance Music Manual" by Rick Snoman - some people love it, some people loath it, but it serves as a good reference for me. (Having said that, I wouldn't buy the latest edition full price, the 2nd edition is much cheaper, 2nd hand online)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

For a quick fix you can always get something like ozone for cheap and cycle through its presets it has dance masters which are "ok" but for what you want to do it might actually be a good idea to as mentioned above dive in yourself and give it a go - start slow with something like ozone and then you can move into dynamics, automation etc later as you learn what your doing (this is usually done in the DAW especially if you use ableton, renoise etc).

Good luck!.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

After getting more comments like "Cute!" or "Sounds flat!", I decided to follow your advice and dive a little deeper into the world of mastering. Unfortunately, I cannot spend much money, so I'm looking mostly for free VST plug-ins for my free Adobe Audition 3.0. The first thing I found is Ozone Imager, which comes free and adds a lot of stereo width and a good feeling in the stomach. The next thing I'd like to examine is Voxengo SPAN, a plug-in for metering. The UI looks a bit complicated, so I guess I have to work thru the manual first.

Do you have any more recommendations for good VSTs for mastering? If it's really, really good, I'm willing to pay up to 100 €, but as I said, I would prefer free stuff, especially now that I am still a noob and trying to do my first, careful steps.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

So in the meantime I have found more really good free stuff:

1.) Voxengo Marvel GEQ: equalizer, which in combination with Voxengo span enables a very good visual EQing of your tracks

2.) LoudMax: limiter with a good preservation of the original track's characteristics

Any more recommendations anyone?