Chiptunes - Roland A-01 recreating a classic C64 game tune

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
ranzee

Chiptunes - Roland A-01 recreating a classic C64 game tune

Post by ranzee »

My first post :) YaY

I thought some of you guys might be interested in my feeble attempt at recreating Commando by Rob Hubbard using a Roland A-01 8-Bit synthesizer (and Ableton Live to sequence it).

There's links to the full track on the video description et al.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt6iR3sDFk[/youtube]
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Chiptunes - Roland A-01 recreating a classic C64 game tune

Post by poke16384 »

Hi ranzee.. It's a decent 'remix' overall and certainly sounds C64-ish with the sounds/instrumentation you've chosen. For me, the arpeggios are a bit laid back in the mix and the 'Lead' sound needs an envelope tweak, (maybe in the decay & sustain dept). The current envelope settings make it sound like it loses the odd note here and there, (vs the original), probably because the gap between the faster notes isn't that defined. You're clearly knowledgeable on the Hardware side and the A-01 sounds good. Hope this comes across as constructive... Peter
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

Good video - liked the sid drum beat! The A-01 is an interesting module and now discontinued I believe so becoming harder to get hold of as time goes on. Would have preferred if it had at least 3 channel sound and sounded more 8-bit like the Speccy or Amstrad. It sounds a bit too modern soft synthy for my ears - if that makes sense (The A-01 in general I mean not the track.)
ranzee

Post by ranzee »

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback.

I'm going to do another one very soon. Do you have any suggestions?