The best SID emulation, INSIDIOUS 6581 for Reaktor updated to v1.2.4

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
FromWithin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

The best SID emulation, INSIDIOUS 6581 for Reaktor updated to v1.2.4

Post by FromWithin »

I have just released a new update for INSIDIOUS 6581 to the Reaktor User Library. It is a supremely accurate emulation of the 6581 and probably now the most accurate sounding SID emulation available. However, you will need the full version of Reaktor (5 or 6) to be able to use it.

There are three major feature updates:

1) Filter curves based Antti Lankila's filter graphs for Standard (8580), Average SID, Follin, Galway, Strong and Extreme. You can also visually see the changing cutoff value in realtime in the graph.

2) The step table is now linked to the clock frequency so you can run the table at up to 150Hz (triple-speed playback).

3) You can now adjust the arp speed of the Live Arp mode.

Full changelist for 1.2.4:

* Added filter curves to match the filter cutoff values to various SID types.

* Added the ability to adjust the arp speed in 'Live arp' mode.

* Linked the Clock to the table speed allowing faster table speeds.

* Removed the filter oscilloscope to allow for the filter curve graphs.

* Added a final mix oscilloscope to the logo's SID chip.

* Changed the colour of the off colour of the PWM graph warning lights to match the channel background.

* Fixed a Clock bug where the modulation values would be smooth every other clock event.

* Fixed a potential bug when the Clock was set to Off.

* Renamed "Vol" in the Wheel menu to "Amp" to match the mod section it applies to.

* Got around a Reaktor bug where Live Arp wouldn't respond to MIDI in the Reaktor standalone app.

* Added an EQ to the noise output to more closely match the real SID output.

* Increased the stability of the oscilloscope displays.

* Fixed a bug in the filter where negative cutoff values would be treated as positive.
Mike Clarke
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: The best SID emulation, INSIDIOUS 6581 for Reaktor updated to v1.2.4

Post by Chris Abbott »

\0/
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I have a question! Could you implement a mode that would dump the SID registers at defined intervals (like 50hz / 100hz / 200hz), so in theory this data could be played back on a real c64?
FromWithin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by FromWithin »

LMan wrote: <span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">25/05/2018 - 7:43</span> I have a question! Could you implement a mode that would dump the SID registers at defined intervals (like 50hz / 100hz / 200hz), so in theory this data could be played back on a real c64?
I'm struggling for new features to add. So much so that I thought v1.2.5 would be the last version as there was nothing left to do. Dumping out registers is certainly a challenge and there are a couple of issues.

Reaktor can't automatically save any data, but there is a possibility that I could write everything to a massive array which the user can manually save to disk.

Scanning each parameter and having it write out the current values is a tough one as it would hugely complicate the internals, especially if I only had it write out the changes per frame rather than repeating all of the current values per frame. I'm not sure of the CPU impact either.

I've just added a rather good new feature for v1.2.7, which is coming very soon. After that, I'll look into this as the next feature.
Mike Clarke
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thanks for the info! Was just a random thought, I can imagine it would be a massive, and probably pointless effort to actually implement it.