Bombo (Vocal mix)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Sanjo Ride
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Bombo (Vocal mix)

Post by Sanjo Ride »

Hi

My Bombo vocal remix was quite well received on KWED and I'd like to thank all those who supported it but..

A couple of people have commented on the vocoder bits (rightly so) and the fact that its difficult to disticly hear the lyrics and that they sound unnatural.

I agree with this absolutley but wanted to clarify that its not actually a vocoder at all but rather a free virtual voice VST called AlterEgo by Plogue

https://www.plogue.com/products/alter-ego.html

This VST is a hell of a lot of fun to play with, but its a bit difficult to make its sound natural. You have to spend a fair amount of time tweaking note duration and timing to get it anywhere near to natural (not that I'm implying that I succeeded here :P)

Just thought I'd share this and also would love to hear what some of the better remixers could do with this VST

Thanks for your time
Sanjo
LaLa
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Bombo (Vocal mix)

Post by LaLa »

A couple of people have commented on the vocoder bits
Ahem, like... me. :)
I agree with this absolutley but wanted to clarify that its not actually a vocoder at all but rather a free virtual voice VST called AlterEgo by
Plogue
Ah, a light-bulb just went up in my head! Of course, now it makes sense! I remember playing with this VST before.

But even if I knew this beforehand, I would've still called it a "vocoder" effect, rather than an "artificially synthesized robotic voice", because... shorter. :)
You have to spend a fair amount of time tweaking note duration and timing to get it anywhere near to natural
It will never sound "natural" or "more human". Nor was it supposed to - that's not what it is for! It provides a unique vocal effect and it's very good at that (especially for its price). My only problem with it is that when you start using it for English lyrics (rather than, say, gibberish), my brain has to concentrate extra hard to try to make out the words, which takes some of the joy out of listening to the entire music.

But to each his own, right? :cheers:
|......|......
|_/\_|_/\_
./~~\/~~\
Sanjo Ride
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Bombo (Vocal mix)

Post by Sanjo Ride »

It will never sound "natural" or "more human". Nor was it supposed to - that's not what it is for! It provides a unique vocal effect and it's very good at that (especially for its price). My only problem with it is that when you start using it for English lyrics (rather than, say, gibberish), my brain has to concentrate extra hard to try to make out the words, which takes some of the joy out of listening to the entire music.
Yeah, I know. I battle with normally recorded lyrics let alone mumble mumble mr Robot :P

Not complaining though, your points are perfectly valid.