Video analysis of a proffesional pop song(study)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Pakz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Video analysis of a proffesional pop song(study)

Post by Pakz »

I found this 30 minute video on youtube where a song by a top producer gets analyzed. I have never seen anything like this before.

Appearantly there are leaks of stems that get placed on youtube. Rick Beato, who seems to know what he is talking about, took stems from a song by max martin and "remade" the song in his daw. It is a song by Aria Grande. He is teaching me a lot of new things here about producing and composing. I think there are a lot of people who might find a run through of a top song interesting study material.

I have already watched the video 5 times myself now!

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Video analysis of a proffesional pop song(study)

Post by Chris Abbott »

He's very good at the analysis.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

It really is an educational watch.. It's amazing how many instrument-parts are actually playing 'off the beat'... Early, to be precise.... and the use of 'Rise & Hit' type risers into the chorus.. You hear them so much in film music but it didn't occur to me that they had a place in pop or rock or anything other than film music.

When he plays the track without the bass-drum it's actually, really difficult to feel the beat of the song.. crazy off-beat percussion and stuff..

Thanks Pakz
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
Pakz
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Pakz »

I think the sidechaining being talked about is something I really needed. Having the other instruments duck the volume(compression) when the bassdrum hits so the drum is more hearable. Learning this I think takes me one step closer to getting that radio quality sound. I now can hear how flat my drums are in older songs.

I have no real interest in creating actual vocals but the things showed here might help me improve lead instruments also. Creating Adlibs which are improvised melodies near or at the same time of the main melody. Having slightly different sounding lead instruments and double leads is something I a'm going to experiment with.

The rises he called swells? As in the cymbal crescendo's( I had to look that up) Is something I now started using. Just like anything I can remember that might work.

I have watched the video 20x times now and wil surely watch it more.

Actually after the first 10 watches of this video I started noticing more details in other music. Like I actually learned.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Music should have more rise and fall, push and pull. That is all :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?