Updated tutorial on digital mastering.

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
eclexp
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Updated tutorial on digital mastering.

Post by eclexp »

Commie_User wrote:They sound fine!

What area do you have doubts about? The arrangement or mix? The quality itself is clear and without clutter.
Hello, thanks for the answer. The songs I already submited may be fine and balanced enough, but there are other songs in which some instruments are too loud or you can barely hear some instruments because they are "eclipsed" by others which wether are too loud or have a close pitch.

I'm never sure how to face that kind of problems, I guess I should equalize the sound or maybe adjust the volume in the song itself or maybe I should refrain from adding so many voices.

I usually do more arrangements that mixing but I do many different things to each songs till I get the best results I can achieve. I like playing with the chords or adding new bass but sometimes I add too much and I have to simplify because there are too many sounds simultaneously and I wonder what should be the best way to diferentiate them and keep them "audible".

Thanks
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

eclexp wrote: I like playing with the chords or adding new bass but sometimes I add too much and I have to simplify because there are too many sounds simultaneously and I wonder what should be the best way to diferentiate them and keep them "audible".
You're welcome.

If you find several parts merging, maybe the choir effect is just the job anyway. For stereo, you could hard pan or use filtering to enhance the specifics of each sound. It all depends on the work.

I didn't hear a problem, myself. It can be all subjective anyway.

Though overloading is not an uncommon problem. Brian May found items in Bohemian Rhapsody on the surround remix which he completely forgot were there. So rich was the ensemble that smaller sounds merged into the fuller, richer one on the original stereo master.

And in The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, an old engineer recalls Ringo drumming on a chair cushion. The snare was so buried in sound one day, something had to be done to enhance it.
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

Good one LMAN all the basics covered for wanna be producers.