New Hubbard tune........

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

New Hubbard tune........

Post by tomsk »

Maybe I missed this post, or it got lost in the deluge of "reaping the ebay harvest" (WTF!!) posts, but for those who don't know Rob Hubbard has released a new C64 SID tune. It's the music from Bedrooms to Billionaires (which he also did with Ben) done on a C64. Maybe old news, but how about a preview, or better still the whole tune.....?

https://soundcloud.com/zerozillion/new- ... ct-hubbard

I like it, it's got a Hubbard feel to it, and although it's not as sonically complex as the stuff he did at his peak, I'm sure you can forgive that as he's been away for so long. At the end of the day this is a new Rob Hubbard SID tune, and to be honest I thought on a C64 music site it would have gotten a bit more exposure...so here it is.

Shoot me down in flames if this link has already been posted....and apologies in advance.
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Re: New Hubbard tune........

Post by Subzero »

pre-order the album for more dood - daglish and galway are also involved!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I think I mentioned in on Facebook, but yeah, should have mentioned here as well, possibly as a news item.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Thanks for the hint tomsk!!!

Is anyone up for maintaining the news section at R64 and becoming a dedicated staff member?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Well don't look at me - unless you want more wibbling like Guitar Hero going through the MSSIAH, via Melodyne! :) (Come to think of it, such accompaniment's not a bad idea..........)

Though seriously, how do you actually be a news guy for the Commodore? You must need years of insider contacts to schmooze with.

And Hubbard's back where he belongs, with Galway and Daglish? Is this the Commodore version of the Threetles?
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

LMan wrote:Thanks for the hint tomsk!!!

Is anyone up for maintaining the news section at R64 and becoming a dedicated staff member?
I wouldn't mind being able to delete spam posts and spam users who slip through.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Commie_User wrote:Well don't look at me - unless you want more wibbling like Guitar Hero going through the MSSIAH, via Melodyne! :) (Come to think of it, such accompaniment's not a bad idea..........)

Though seriously, how do you actually be a news guy for the Commodore? You must need years of insider contacts to schmooze with.

And Hubbard's back where he belongs, with Galway and Daglish? Is this the Commodore version of the Threetles?
"Can't buy me SID"
"Yesterday"
"It's been a Hard Day's SID"
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Some further info....takes the shine off things a little to learn Rob didn't actually program the SID himself, it was done by Max Hall with Rob's guidance. I suppose it was too much to ask someone who's been out of the picture for so long to go back to assembly.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

tomsk wrote:Some further info....takes the shine off things a little to learn Rob didn't actually program the SID himself, it was done by Max Hall with Rob's guidance. I suppose it was too much to ask someone who's been out of the picture for so long to go back to assembly.
That confirms what I was thinking to myself, after all these years it would take quite effort to go back and try to remember how to do it, unless he had been keeping it up all these years.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Well it wouldn't take the shine off with me. Especially after hearing the extra magic unlocked in his tunes by the Commodore 64 Orchestra.
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

The thing is, when you think about it, how many covers of Hubbard SID tunes are available on HVSC ? In reality, this is all this SID tune is - a cover of an existing Rob Hubbard tune (albeit a brand new one). Since you're a big Beatles fan I would compare this to "Free as a Bird"...it's not REALLY a proper Beatles track is it. But it's still good. Just my thoughts.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Hmm.. so this is a cover of himself doing something new? Emulating a previous self?

I think I can just about grasp what you're probably saying.
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Hmm.. so this is a cover of himself doing something new? Emulating a previous self?
Actually, Hubbards original music (none SID) he did with Ben for Bedrooms to Billionaires was made into a SID tune by Max Hall (albeit with Hubbard in attendance). So yes it's Hubbard musically, but it's not Hubbard SID musically if that makes sense. SO my comparison between someone covering a Hubbard track was pretty spot on. Essentially Max Hall has done a SID version of a Rob Hubbard tune. If truth be told, the SID version technically sounds nothing like a Hubbard tune, it's obviously programmed with a different driver and by someone else, but musically it's pretty good! For me, I can never consider this as a proper return to SID Rob Hubbard tune. Just my thoughts.