graphic card mental problems

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

graphic card mental problems

Post by Infamous »

Ok im having a HUGE problem with my graphic card and one game in particular - diablo.

ive tried a few other games and it seems fine with that (including up to date games such as vice city) but when it comes to diablo and direct 3d or direct draw i can kiss the game goodbye.

excessive button pressing on the simplest things like "join" or "create" server cause my computer to restart suddenly and this has happened repeatedly for a few days and is beginning to really annoy me.

anyone else had this trouble?.

ive just reformatted my computer and im thinking it might be an out of date driver so if it is that ill post back and u can all call me a spaz later.. but if its not any idea's and suggestions would be greatly received.

thankx
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I'm not an expert, but I do know that WindowsXP doesn't come with OpenGL as standard - I had to download an updated driver for my Nvidia card. Are you running XP?
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Yoshi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Yoshi »

Updating the graphic cards driver usually fix these problems, but sometimes a game just wont work with a specific graphic card.

A few years ago when Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 was released i bought a new graphic card, not just because of that game, but because no new games would run with my old card anymore.

I installed the new card and run Hot Pursuit 2, but the game always crashed after driving a few seconds. A month (and three driver-releases) later it was finally fixed, the drivers release notes even said that Hot Pursuit 2 wont crash anymore.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Ok after much kicking and beating of my computer i think ive fixed it heh.
It seems there was some kind of confliction between my graphic card my soundcard and diablo.. they didnt much like each other.

somehow the soundcard was causing my graphic card to turn its acceleration off so of course when diablo ran and looked for direct draw or direct 3d... it wouldnt find it... freak out.. reset.

so yeah as mer said after a lil driver instalation and a hefty good kicking
ive managed to sort it out... so hurray n all that :-).
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

good to hear.... but don't play to much diablo, 'cause i wanna hear
some fresh remixes from you soon..... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

heh all new stuff on its way... i blitzed my hardrive yesterday so all old unfinished remixes are now dead and i am having a totally fresh start.

been looking sideways at the following tunes

m.u.l.e
z.u.b
driller (again only a little better than my last effort)
new zealand story
catalypse

and for amiga

sensible world of soccer
ork
flashback
overdrive
alien breed 2

not to say ill do them all but they've all caught my eye... or my ear if u like.. watch this space ;-)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

hmmm, alien breed 2.... great soundtrack...
i'm looking forward to hear your version.... :wink:
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Any particular tune from New Zealand Story? I reckon it's a good soundtrack, with some nice cutesy stuff in there.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

Hi!

Just be carefull with Diablo. I heard that a few month ago, a Japanise guy played with Diablo for some days, without any rest or eating, so a few days after he just died. Seriously, it's not a joke. :(
Strange, isn't it? How could be someone so fan of a game? :?:
I mean you formatted your hdd for the game. It maybe was the first step from you. :wink: :D
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Moad'Dib wrote:...I heard that a few month ago, a Japanise guy played with Diablo for some days, without any rest or eating, so a few days after he just died. Seriously, it's not a joke. :( ...
Yes, Moad'Dib. It's not a joke. That's called an urban legend. :wink:
Last edited by Vosla on 21/05/2004 - 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
All is lost.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

i didnt reformat simply to play diablo i reformatted because my computer was about as quick as a snail nailed to a board and as clever as jordan with sunstroke.... so the thing got nerfed and now it works lovely again and NEVER again will i overlook the "defrag" button nearly as much.

hmmm !
played with diablo :shock: dirty fecker!

and no wonder he died... you dont fiddle with a 12foot demon who's figure heading is "lord of terror" and come away with a fig leaf.

and as for new zealand story - im not sure yet.. i did a happy hardcore version of the main theme but i didnt like how it panned out so it got taken to the back feild and mercy killed.... time will tell.
Moad'Dib
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Moad'Dib »

Vosla wrote:Yes, Moad'Dib. It's not a joke. That's called an urban legend. :wink:
Oh come on Vosla! I really didn't joke. I heard it in the evenin news on TV.
Do you think was it a mare's nest? :roll:
I don't think so... :?
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

ut oh... does i smell bovine?
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Usually the tv guys miss some minor details in such stories... like the knife that stuck in the poor guys back or the rope round his neck...

Sure, yeah, computer games killed the poor fella. So now his parents sue the game industry or what. I guess there were other problems around, not just malnutrition and lack of sleep.

Don't feel attacked, Moad'Dib. But the story felt like the casual summerhole sh*t lousy tv reporters put up...
All is lost.
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Infamous wrote:ut oh... does i smell bovine?
Maybe cow pie?
All is lost.