So who were you ?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

So who were you ?

Post by Matrix »

Just thought it would be nice to start a meaningful thread in regards to who we all used to be "when we were famous" to some degree lol... I discovered that Kefrens are now a software management and webdesign firm in New Bern NC....

At Bitlive 3 I learned about Bjorn Lynne being Dr Awesome of Crusaders (ya he lives like 10 miles from me DUH!)..... At Bitlive 5 I learn (after the fact) that Adam was in Share and Enjoy....

So despite the fact that most if us have new names and very few of us are psychic (plus the fact that Pex never changed his Mahoney monika lol)...

WHO WERE U ALL ON THE SCENE ?

hehe
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Not really "scene", but I was PROFESSOR BRIAN STRAIN aka "The Mighty BRIAN" aka "The Games Guru" in Commodore Force magazine.

I was also Andy (Andrew) Fisher in Commodore Format.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
AdamDawes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: So who were you ?

Post by AdamDawes »

Matrix wrote:At Bitlive 5 I learn (after the fact) that Adam was in Share and Enjoy....
I was in quite a lot of demo groups actually... THR (The Hacking Relation), SAE, Mayhem, Silents, erm, I think that's all.

I was never especially well known in any of them, but I was (to the best of my knowledge) the first to ever code the concentric-circles moiré effect, which looks like this:<center>Image</center>

It was in a demo for Mayhem entitled Paracetamol (because I watched it for hours and hours and it gave me a headache). I got the idea from "The Word" on Channel 4. I actually drew the circles in DPaint (why I didn't think of generating them programmatically I still don't know), and I could see the effect working as I dragged one set of circles over another, I knew it was going to look great. :)

This effect was copied endlessly afterwards.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Its great to be a pioneer huh :)

Hey didnt SAE do that 2 disc flash gordon thing ? the whole queen song "Flash" start to end in a streaming fashion ?

Oh ya - silents had some COOL logos :)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Sticky subject for me really as you will find out....

I have and will always remember the c64 very fondly, i started out in a group called..."BCS Cracking services", yeah i guess you could call me a bad guy!

I then after many years of happiness went onto the atari ST and started up as the Founder of a very famous group called "FOFT", yeah you've heard of that..."Federation of FREE Traders". The reason behind the name was because unlike many of our competitors we gave away our what is now called "WAREZ" for free. We made nearly 100 compact menu's on the ST and became the third biggest group on the ST. Voted offically by the then scene. We had members in the UK, Sweden, Holland, and germany and maybe more i totally forget now!

After years of cracking and hacking i suddenly realised that my youth effort were destroying the few things that ment so much to me... went away for about 8 years (got married, then devorced) and found this place... after all the years of being a pirate i suddenly went totally legal, and started not hating but regretting my past a wee bit.. started work on remix64 with Lman and co and then went onto remix64 CD's totally legally and then shortly afterwards stared "http://www.mbdrecords.com".

Funny story really, a pirate turned legal turned hating piracy!!!!

kind of a contradiction isn't it!
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

I'm Simon Plumbe and I was a freelance writer, mainly from the Amiga side of things...

I worked for Amiga Pro, Amiga User International, CD32 Gamer and used to do the Amiga column for MicroMart and other bits and pieces (as well as working for Paramount doing some Star Trek stuff for the Official UK Fan Club).

As well as that I did the Star Trek disk mag, The Final Frontier, for the Amiga and everything else produced by Infinite Frontiers all on the Amiga including slideshows and other bits and pieces. If I remember right, we did the only ever piece of licenceware properly released and distributed on a high density disk for the Amiga!

We're still going at Infinite Frontiers and doing stuff online but we've moved into running sci-fi events, running a legal downloads service and personally I'm still doing freelance writing for whoever pays me as well as doing PR work!
Views in my posts are my own and not necessarily that of Auto Assembly
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I doubt that anyone has ever seen my graphics in various intros from different might-be-crackers?! I used the handle Bonvilotti (Bonvi), Caputtnic Designs (CD) and 131... but 131 was misused by some dumbass to "crack" unprotected games & utilities. I didn't crack a single game but loved to "improve" them with silly translations... look out for "MAUL!" my M.U.L.E. "conversion" and some Lucasfilm Studios games with a Locusfilm Ltd. logo. Sadly I lost most of my stuff.
(Only picture I found. And... yes, it's unfinished. But I found the original sketch!)
Funny enough that I found disks everywhere with my silly naming conventions: "CD 131 AC 29" or something, where "CD 131" is my disk tag.

As Schleswig was a backwater town, being fun crackers and their gfx-dudes who swapped stuff for free , we were never really famous.

EDIT:
Just another shameless plug to show of what crap I do these days:
Last edited by Vosla on 08/10/2004 - 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
All is lost.
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

I was Matrix. Doh! That's 10 years ago!
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

IBB (Italian Bad Boys).

The same with NJoy and Pyratronik.

Pyratronik was the coder behind NASP.

You can find various musics from us in various IBB prods on Amiga:

Songs Rack (musicdisk by me, produced by Ram Jam)
The Spaceman (musicdisk by njoy, produced by Ram Jam).
Various "The Bad Tongue" issues (IBB).
Various intros and demos (IBB).

most of those productions are in the Aminet archive.

Also, made some gametunes for some Simulmondo games (I-Play 3D Soccer, and some other) and (with Pyratronik and NJoy) the CDDA soundtrack of the game "The Shadow of The Third Moon".

ciao.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

i was in following groups:

Red Sector / Tristar

Flash Cracking Group (FCG)

The Electronic Knights

Jewels

K.G.B.

..those where days.... :wink:
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Yeah but what names did you have back then :)

Feels like crap when u maybe in the presence of giants and not even know it ;)
GeckoYamori
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GeckoYamori »

Nice to see the background of everyone. I have no affiliation with the old scene whatsoever, I never had a C64. I just started coming across chiptunes when I got into tracking in the late 90s.
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

I started out as a cracker on the 64 for a relatively unknown group called Zer0page - I think our best release was both paths of IK as a single file but we never released anything outside of Milton Keynes I think :)

I also composed a few mods for a group called Crimewatch UK and LSD but I don't think any where ever used (apart from my Trantor cover for a Spectrum emulator disk!)

THE GOOD OLD DAYS *SIGH* :cry:
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

names... I've been through one or two...

Started out as "Peel". my old nick name from school. Then went to "Tyrant", then to "Tas". Thats stuck with me now for 12 years or so mainly because of lot of my mates call me that instead of my real name. Dunno how that happened!
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

i was known as SuBzErO