Introduce yourself here!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Rubinstein
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by Rubinstein »

Hi to all! I’m new here at Remix64.com but occasionally I’ve been skimming through this page along with AmigaRemix during several years, and I find both pages pretty interesting! At least the idea of remixing songs originally composed with old computers is somehow fascinating and very special… I would have never thought I’d find so large, active and perhaps so far even growing internet community (“subculture”) dedicated to arranging old computer-generated music, but it seems that wonders never cease! :thumbsup:

As for my own connection with computer music (and old computers in general), it’s a very typical story. If my memory serves me right, my journey with C64 began in about the year 1989 when my parents bought me and my brother a C128 (it had a built-in C64 mode) with loads of games from some Commodore aficionados who had “grown too old” for computer games. :? (Apparently at that time only few knew what nostalgia stood for and some people wanted to get rid of computers simply because they were under the delusion that they’d be too “grown up” to mess around with computers, let alone play games…) My usage of Commodore was then interrupted in about 1992 when my parents bought an Amiga 500 and finally ended in about 1994 when it was turn for PC… Of course I used to play those old games on PC with emulators as long ago as in about 1995 and I continued doing the same thing for some years but, to the best of my recollection, there came an unfortunately long pause during which I didn’t use Commodore emulators, and to crown the lot I didn’t even realize how great C64 and Amiga music was at that time.

Now that I’m older, I’ve gradually started to look back on the good old days with those old computers and immerse myself in the computer-generated music of that time. Quite frankly, most of the games I played in the late 80’s and early 90’s cannot be considered so great anymore but what I have to say is that I’ve been dumbfounded by how well most SIDs have aged despite the primitiveness of the SID sound chip (or maybe it’s specifically due to the primitiveness)! Roughly the same nostalgic “adoration” applies to MOD-based Amiga music as well. For some strange, inexplicable reason, many of the melodies seem very catchy now that I listen to the SIDs and MODs after all these years. Besides, as you would guess, I get that typical, very nostalgic feeling while listening to the old music. I don’t know what you think on this forum, but I’m of the opinion that there’s just something that a great part of all this new music created with brand new and top-notch gadgets lacks! :!:

Despite huge differences in all the arrangers’ talent, the quality of production and so forth, the overall level of all these remixes at Remix64.com seems to be fairly good. There is surely a real challenge in remixing old SIDs which, as Galway said, may be meant to be heard as such… but what makes this more fascinating is that some people in the music industry seem to be somewhat interested in old computer-generated music as well and some have already tried to plagiarize old songs. In all fairness I ought to say that they wouldn’t do so if they regarded the old songs as some horrible 8-bit dross!

The bottom line is that there was something very special about Commodore 64 and Amiga (500) music, and it should be remembered with affection! :)

Huh, by the way, did I get too emotional?! Well, when it's about nostalgic feelings for C64, there can only be a bit too exaggerated and high-sounding phrases full of sentiment! :wink: But there are still grains of truth in what I wrote!
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Welcome Rubinstein! My experience is similar to yours, just 6 or 7 years before you were introduced to the C128/64. Perhaps you would find this thread interesting - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6228&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I'd love to hear what games you remember the songs to that haven't been remixed yet. :wink:

Please, if you can, think up a few games you loved from the good old days and see if you can't find a couple associated SIDs that have escaped remixing using SIDFind (will show if a tune has been remixed or not): http://www.c64.org/sidfind/
Rubinstein
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Rubinstein »

@RobinsonMason: Don't worry! I know a lot of old & very good SIDs which have escaped remixing but I'm not sure about how easy it'd be to arrange/remix them (even though almost "everything" should be technically feasible nowadays). I'll submit some of them in the section "Remix Suggestions" in the next few days!

I'll be back! :wink:
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Rubinstein wrote: I'll be back! :wink:
Looking forward to it! :mrgreen:
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

welcome to remix64 guys!!!

cheers!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Welcome to the Site Guys!!!
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Welcome, good folks. :)
Xenox_AFL

Post by Xenox_AFL »

Sorry, i forgot to say some words about me.. My name is frankmy handle is Xenox and i am since 1990 or so an Alpha Flight member...

at the moment i am making a lot of sounddesign for synthesizers, i have worked for yamaha, waldorf, native instruments, linplug, refx, ableton, fxpansion, fabfilter and for a lot of more companies...

I got 3 Awards for my sounddesign and a lot of good reactions, after doing a lot of time no music i started again making music and why not remixing the best tracks ever out of the c64 scene, this was my scene because i am in there since 1986.. I love it and i still listen to SID music...

greetz,
frank
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Welcome xenox!
carlschultz

Post by carlschultz »

hi everyone!! i'm really REALLY excited to have been directed to this site - I posted a remix of a C64 game at an indie game forum called 'the indie stone' and someone suggested I check this place out (big thanks Nik!)..

and wow! this is like a dream come true! i've checked out tons of remixes of my favourite games and can't wait to hear more!

so, i remember very clearly the day my parents agreed to get me my long awaited C64 -- i had electricity buzzing through my jaw for the whole drive down to the computer store :D rushed it home, hooked it up to a diminutive black and white telly (i still have it, the screen is 11cm diagonal) and played international karate :D

i also had a sega (sc3000H..when a sega was a computer with a keyboard) and an acorn electron.

regarding music, I have a background in experimental classical music, and currently focus on rhythmical electronic stuff with a particular appetite for unusual sounds and rhythms. here's a sample:
http://www.soundclick.com/carlschultz

In general I'm looking to collaborate with game developers, and pixel artists and illustrators for short animations - if you happen to hear something that would be ideal for your game please get in touch :)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Welcome folks! :D
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Hi there and welcome!
All is lost.
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

Hello all, I am new :D

Well, new here that is. I've been using the C64 since about 1984, an Amiga since about 1989, and then went to move on to the PC platform in uhmmm about 1993 or so. I wasn't really a scene member but I hung out a lot with some scene guys that were quite into game trading and demo making. OPM from the Dutch USA team was in my class at some point, some of you probably know that name. He told me that he was working on this thing called "rockmonitor" and i dabbled a bit with that program. Never really got into it though. I also dabbled a bit with some assembly tinkering but never really got around to writing my own programs. I preferred playing games I guess, and of course listening to the awesome SID music. I even recorded some songs on a tape that I brought to school to play on my walkman. One of those tunes was Skate or Die from Hubbard, still one of the best SID tunes ever IMO.

On the Amiga I started working with Protracker (after a brief encounter with Mugician) and that's when I really started getting into making music. At some point I did a few live gigs (with 2 Amiga's and a mixer) and those were very well received.

Nowadays I work with Reason and Record. That's also the Reason why I'm here, somebody on the Propellerhead pointed me in this direction. I'm just having a look around and hope to be able to submit something soon. :D
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Hi, Blackout! :)
All is lost.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Welcome to the board, and bonus points for making an Introduction.

"Another Visitor...Stay For a wh...." errr.. well you know the rest. ;)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120