Sony Playstation 3 delayed for March 2007

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Market analysts reckon Sony are already leaving it too late to launch... well, we will see.... if they have a Final Fantasy title lined up it could help ;)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

On the radio today it mentioned the fault being the reason but later broadcasts mentioned it was because they want to avoid competition from Nintendo and Microsoft.
weblaus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by weblaus »

tas wrote:On the radio today it mentioned the fault being the reason but later broadcasts mentioned it was because they want to avoid competition from Nintendo and Microsoft.
Nah, that's bullshit, whoever thought that up clearly has no clue at all about the video game business.

There's various reasons whyb this is so wrong, but I'll concentrate on one: If Sony really wanted to avoid competition, why would they only do so on the by far least important market (Europe) and still go head-to-head in the USA (where MS indeed is a huge rival) and Japan (same scenario, just with Nintendo)?

Not to mention the fact that handing over the huge christmas market to MS/Nintendo really is about the best way to strenghten the competitors...
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Nothing on ANY of the new formats has even got me tempted to rub to the nearest cash machine and buy, honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about. The 360 gives me motion sickness, and the recent footage of an ACTUAL ps3 game (as opposed to the pc rendered "as it should look" footage) fails to impress.

Stills are ace, but the motions seems to fall into 2 distinct categories. Poor refresh rates, or too smooth to enjoy; creating a surealistic reality that just makes you want to vomit.

Plenty of life in the old XBox & Gamecube yet... things will have to get a LOT better before I shell out the folding stuff, so the delay really doesn't bother me in the slightest.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

weblaus wrote:
tas wrote:On the radio today it mentioned the fault being the reason but later broadcasts mentioned it was because they want to avoid competition from Nintendo and Microsoft.
Nah, that's bullshit, whoever thought that up clearly has no clue at all about the video game business.

There's various reasons whyb this is so wrong, but I'll concentrate on one: If Sony really wanted to avoid competition, why would they only do so on the by far least important market (Europe) and still go head-to-head in the USA (where MS indeed is a huge rival) and Japan (same scenario, just with Nintendo)?

Not to mention the fact that handing over the huge christmas market to MS/Nintendo really is about the best way to strenghten the competitors...
Ofcourse it's bullshit!

This is obviously just a smoke screen behind the real reasons. Over the years we've seen these types of claims made by various manufacturers. Although, i've never seen one better than Atari's back the day when they raised the price of the Atari ST claiming a shortage of silicon. :lol:
hoomish
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by hoomish »

Personally, unless it's something that's obviously naff (a la the MegaCD, Virtual Boy, CD32 etc) I can't help but buy the new consoles... and given how much fun I've had with my PSOne and PS2 I imagine I'll get a PS3...

To be fair, Sony get a bad rep, but the PSOne brought gaming to the masses (not sure if that's a good thing or not!) and the PS2 has proved a very capable machine considering it was launched almost 7 years ago! The PS2 also seems to have had the quirkiest selection games too - granted, a lot of that will be down to the huge userbase - Xbox games seem very US-centric and the amount of FPSes is crazy!

Just my thoughts...

Incidentally, before I get a flaming from anyone who loves MS or Nintendo, I do still use my Gamecube and Xbox (often more than my 360!)
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

[geek]Actually it was a DRAM shortage that forced up Atari (and Amstrad) prices for a while[/geek]

Sony made a mistake with announcing the PS3 so early. It didn't work as a tactic to stop people buying the Xbox360, and now they just look disorganised. Slow loading times, high power consumption, no HDMI cable in the box, games cancelled or delayed... The European release date is the straw that broke the console's back.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

I have an XBox 360 and I've already ordered the Wii but the price of PS3 is just too much for me, especially when compared to the XBox 360 which offers pretty much the same as PS3. Sony needs really kickass exclusives on PS3 to make the ~800 eur investment worth it.

At the moment Wii seems to be the ultimate console for casual gamer who spends 10 minutes every now and then playing something instead of 90+ hours in playing some massive spectacle that I simply don't have enough time for. Also, the virtual console should provide lots of retro fun with all the downloadable NES/SNES/N64 titles.

Same thing with DS vs. PSP pretty much, after the initial excitement over few games the PSP hasn't had pretty much anything to offer me while I've spent lots of time playing Tetris on the DS :) Maybe Pirates on the PSP will change that though...

Sumppi
Xelebes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Xelebes »

Sony Nukem forever?
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

DreamCast.....DreamCast......DreamCast......D..... ;)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

hoomish wrote:Personally, unless it's something that's obviously naff (a la the MegaCD, Virtual Boy, CD32 etc
Mega CD has some NICE games on it, just a shame no one really supported it fully

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
hoomish
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by hoomish »

Do tell!