Sidologie clips released.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".

Sidologie clips: what do you think?

Poll ended at 24/05/2003 - 15:59

WOW!
38%
Sounds great, but I wish the clips were longer!
24%
Hmmm.....
29%
You disturbed my sleep for THIS?
10%

Total votes: 21

Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Hehehe, perhaps we're getting a tad off topic! :)

I only listened to the clips the other morning before heading off to uni, so I need another listen. But I thought they sounded really Jarre and Vangelis, and I wouldn't complain about the quality.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Having listened to all the clips, my opinion is:
- from the short clip available, Bombo does sound a bit weak in comparison to the others
- Wizball Band in the Rain is very cool
- Lightforce was MADE to be remixed in that style
- Ditto for YAKF2

Now, where did I put my credit card? :wink:
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

<neatly puts mermans credit card back......>

whistles.........

erm i think u left it > here < ....... lol
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Chris--in reply to your points regarding my post, I think you make fair comments. I agree that true 'innovation' is probably at best difficult to achieve and at worst impossible. I guess my worry has more to do with the 'weld on a style' thing; whereas I reckon this worked wonders in the rather more general 'soundtrack' style of BIT 4, I have more problems with the Jarre thing, as, as I said, I already have the original albums. However, I'm well aware that many will disagree with me here, and certainly don't have a problem with that!

While I'm sure many people will hate/flame me for saying it, in retrospect, I reckon Kernkraft 400 actually had the right idea in some ways, although obviously went about things in the wrong way: take a catchy hook from a well-known C64 track and turn it into something contemporary and 'now'. Maybe that's the (or at least _a_) future for the scene? Maybe I'm just wondering about the recent tendancy for retro sounds of retro (computer) tunes...
But then, if you spend your life questing for novelty, then you're going to have a long frustrating journey.
Perhaps, but it's a journey I enjoy, both in creation and also in consumtion! :)
If you can come up with an innovative C64-remix album, I'd be delighted to support it.
Well, that's certainly an interesting point (if I don't like something that's going on, why not do something 'better' myself--and please note the scare quotes). However, I'm not sure I will ever be in the position to create top-notch C64 mixes; still, with a new Pro-Tools rack on the way, it might be a possibility to at least try, at least after the next VMU CD gets put to bed.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Chris Abbott wrote: Some of those people who have been most vocal have subsequently turned into beta-testers precisely because they bought a different viewpoint to mine. They influenced the CD because they were outspoken, but crucially unlike you, they were outspoken in a
constructive way: they stated what they didn't like, why they didn't like it,
and suggested alternatives or other ideas. CraigG will back me up
on this
This is most definitely the case; BIT 3 went through massive changes, many of which were due to beta feedback. From my own point of view, the final product was, in almost every case, far better than those early mixes I heard. Those things that weren't better were solely down to my own personal taste, although I always understood the reasoning (such as the guitars on Armalyte). I have to also say that Chris has, without exception, always been willing to listen to, and on many cases act upon, constructive criticism.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Jens wrote:A CD like "Instant Remedy" surely would get a real distributor, not because it is brilliant, but because it has an appeal to the mainstream purchaser.
I'd actually be interested to know how many copies this has sold. If it's more than 500, then Chris has already done at least as well as most indie labels would have, many of whom consider that barrier a good first step these days...
IF your product does NOT lack in quality, why is there no wider audience? Why does no bigger magazine has articles about it? Just because it is independent?
Oh, come on, since when has quality had anything to do with a wider audience? I've had a relationship with Swim~ for some time now, and that label has put out many _stunning_ releases. Perhaps the best of them all was the first Lobe album; total sales: 500. And yes, it didn't get more sales because it was largely and wrongly ignored by being on a small, independent label...
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I think the other thing we need to do is distinguish between what C64Audio does, and what a record label does. A record label puts effort into finding new artists (A&R), distributing AND promoting. Even some indie labels have backing from one of the large multi-nationals.

C64Audio is more of a conduit between the composers/remixers and the audience of die-hard C64 fans.

Everyone here would love mass-market sales (like Kernkraft 400) but that's not going to happen. And I doubt there are many club DJs with a copy of Instant Remedy's CD to create interest...

(Oh, and infamous, I've been checking my statement... Send me a brown envelope with lots of cash in it or I reveal, a) the name of the company, b) the name of the product, and c) what you use it for :wink: )
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

Sorry Im drunk again,so a Fastrack response.

Still to hear Sidologue clips(but i will)

Agree with CraigG with your reply to Chris thismorning (11 th) with regards to creating your own versions of tracks in general (weve argued this before Chris,but i still love you)

For Infamous: See? Men do say "I love you",(see above).

Kernkraft 400: Fantastic approach to a 64 tune(that i had never heard of untill i found R64). Im a dance kid so i loved the track anyway,but was it even more of a novelty when i realised it was a tune from the wee Commodore.How Cool.

For Makke:Dance music is not shite,its a way of life(yes i know your comment was with a nod and a wink :wink: )

I would love to see you dance.You dancin'? Am Askin'! :)
Not to be too pretentious you understand.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

M.A.F wrote:I would love to see you dance.You dancin'? Am Askin'! :)
I only dance when drunk...but boy do I dance when drunk!
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

CraigG wrote: While I'm sure many people will hate/flame me for saying it, in retrospect, I reckon Kernkraft 400 actually had the right idea in some ways, although obviously went about things in the wrong way: take a catchy hook from a well-known C64 track and turn it into something contemporary and 'now'. Maybe that's the (or at least _a_) future for the scene? Maybe I'm just wondering about the recent tendancy for retro sounds of retro (computer) tunes...
Well, that's a good point Craig !!!
See <b>A & R's</b> don't have those memories we all have when we are listening to a special SID-Tune !
They don't know those HUBBARDS and GALWAYS and stuff...
Chris asked me once where i see the difference between
MUSIC and SID-MUSIC ?!
To be honest i don't see any 'cos music is music , but i am not an A&R of a record company, i am just a musician... :wink:

IF you want to sell a C64 track to a larger audience , then you can't just remix a complete C64 tune ,make it danceable and release it, this won't really work. But those classics have great melodies, or baslines or they are just inspiring because of the technique that they have used. You'll will have to make something new out of c64 snippets in my opinion!

Kernkraft 400 was a good idea but it wasn't legaly cleared and that was the bad thing about it !!

TOM:::..
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> You'll will have to make something new out of c64 snippets in
> my opinion!

The next number one will certainly not be anything from the current CDs unless it's been well and truly hacked around, that's for certain.

It's only recently that I understood this, and started to act accordingly,
though there's still scope for inclusion of album tracks on appropriate
compilations, such as Craig was mentioning. We're pursuing this too,
but everything in the record industry takes AGES.

Chris
Peacemaker
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Peacemaker »

well.
i just listenend to the clips of Sidologie.
All in all i have to say.. Nice work. Good Sounds, nice athmospear. Reminds me of J. and V.
I cant complain about quality (althou i think that bombo lead is terrible)

But I think this "idea" of doing remixes sounding like Jarre and Vangelis come too late. When O2 did his Zoids remixes I was stuned. Now I heard "similar" remix-styles like the Jarre one on RKO for free, and I think.."well, nice, work.. " but we had that before.. I want some more "Innovation"... In Other words: I may get bored by another "Jarre-Like" remix.

Therefore I like remixer doing a remix that I didnt hear so far on RKO. talking about the "genre" / "style" . I for myself try atleast to Innovate. Sure, I may fail, but I try again. Improve and improve.
Makke for example is a arrange who has alot respect from me. He does his "own" way and I enjoy his work (also those non c64 remixes=)

So, what was I trying to explain? Yes, I like the work of Sidologie, but I wouldnt buy it. If it would be for free, I would download them.. Remixes 64 V2(yes, i have to start;), is in my opinion a Remix CD that is worth my money. I am a happy guy that is allowed to listen to the pre-versions and I am really satisfied with the overall work. There are tracks on it that make me yumyum. Realy Great work!

Dont get me wrong Chris.. Sure I respect the work. I wouldnt be able to make arrangements like "your guys" =) did.. But this still doesnt mean that I would buy it.
But I am a "musician".. Maybe the sells might work for you, as there are alot of Jarre Fans out there. Try to promote the CD on the right Sites for examples (there are alot of Jarre Webpages), and we can be happy to have a further cd released =)

my 2 cents
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

oh, hows about that. warm fussy feeling here. Oh shit, no wonder i've just pissed myself! drats! ;)

All the CD's at c64 audio.com have their merrits in their own way. It all depends on what your looking for. r64 v2 is very different to sidologie as it is to remix64 v1.

Thing that i'm still unconvinced about is 40 second clips!?!?! does that really give a true impression? thing is how is the best way around it!

I dunno! seems there is still no viable alternative way of doing the clips!
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

suppose u could do half song streams?
just half the tune on a stream....so that no lil git can rip em off totally unless they plan to tout half songs......for people with one ear or something.
(Oh, and infamous, I've been checking my statement... Send me a brown envelope with lots of cash in it or I reveal, a) the name of the company, b) the name of the product, and c) what you use it for )
ERM SHIT!......HE KNOWS.........<GETS OUT THE BROWN ENVELOPES IMMEDIATLY> !!!!

lolol......seriously i reccomend it too everyone ;-)

anyway......that above ....yeah...........just an idea...probably a crap one but, maybe it isnt....i dunno??!?!.
For Infamous: See? Men do say "I love you",(see above).
lol, seemingly only when drunk lolol ;-)
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

I simply reckon the clips should be longer. The Knucklebusters one is 1:30, which gives you time to get into the track and perhaps think about buying the album. The others often don't, as 30 seconds really isn't enough.