Sven-Göran Eriksson is Man City's manager - a rant

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Sven-Göran Eriksson is Man City's manager - a rant

Post by Waz »

Well the news I was dreading was finally realised today, after Thakshin Shinawatra managed to get to 75% of City's shares and delist the company from the Stock Exchange, and after being seen at the training ground earlier in the week, it's now been confirmed:

Sven-Göran Eriksson appointed Man City manager

To say I'm actually not happy with this is a master of understatement. Whilst his previous record at club level before managing England was pretty good, the way that he completely ruined the England team, made it lose its pride and passion, had meaningless friendless with 20 substitutions, and relied on one tactic but didn't know Plan B if things went wrong left me feeling angry and frustrated as a football fan, knowing full well that his legacy still lives on in the England side as Steve McClaren.

Okay, so he's a "big" name, I grant you. But as a passionate Man City fan the one thing you want to see from your manager is to emnate that pride and passion from the touchline, so it feels like the boss cares as much as the team as you do. I still feel that the City board gave Stuart Pearce a rough ride leading to his sacking.

Granted, we didn't score very much at home last season. But until the second half of the season, we also had the best unbeaten home record in the Premiership. Go figure. If the board weren't willing to support Pearce and buy a decent striker, instead of resorting to cheap crap llike Bernardo Corradi (argubably the worst player ever in a City shirt) and indeed not publically supporting him, then it's their fault also. At least Pearce actually had the passion and pride, and the way the England Under-21 team performed recently at the European Championships is testament to how Pearce got them motivated. Indeed, several of the players have spoken highly of him, and I remember Tas saying after we lost at Doncaster in the League Cup that their fans had nothing but respect for Pearce after his post match interview, where he was honest enough to say on the night the better team won.

But back to Sven. What City fans need to see is a determination, passion and pride to see the job through, and not just rely on the money from Shinawatra to buy a team but to buy players who actually gel well with who we already have. We've got England's future right back (and argubaly centre half also), we've got a respected captain who stars for the Republic of Ireland. We've got Sweden's number 1 goalie. Defence wise, we're sorted. It's mainly the creative midfielder and strike force we need. Sven must see that and get players who will actually fit with the team ethos and also perform week in week out, and give their all. Us City fans have always said that even if a player isn't the most skilful in the world, if they give 100% for the cause they'll always have the fans' backing - Shaun Goater being a case in point. (Ah, those two goals he scored against Man U to reach 100, poetry they were!)

I'm just worried that Sven's going to target players he's known under the England set up that he rates that most of the country doesn't, Stewart Downing being an obvious case in point (he's bobbins!), Jermaine Jenas is someone else I can think of, and Alan Smith is another. And that doesn't fill me with excitement.

He also needs to make sure that he actually keeps the passion where it belongs - on the pitch - and not in the bed of some female worker at the City of Manchester Stadium (some of the staff are pretty hot!), or, if he's going to follow his trend of local weather girls, Dianne Oxberry..

I'm just worried that it's the start of a whole new era for me team that isn't going to be for all the right reasons....
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Didnt we discuss this in London? I think he could do well in City, okay, he doesnt have the City heart and all but he does have a grasp of football as a manager and a coach. He may not show emotion but after reading todays tabloids he realizes what he has to do.

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Feel gutted for Pearce who i think is by far a better manager than erikkson. The man is hard working, a tough task master, and has the presence of never say die attitude. I remember him fondly as a player and his ethic was try hard, work hard and win, i think he did a grand job at Manchester City and wasn't given the right backing. The bloke was massively complimentary towards Doncaster when we beat them in the league cup and in truth he need not have been cos we won a game where Man City deserved it more but yet he was so very graceful in defeat.

Ironny is a strange thing that Svens first game in Charge is against Doncaster in the pre-season friendly on the 14th of July. And sorry Waz, i'd love to fuck him over!
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

tas wrote:Feel gutted for Pearce
Needs the England job!

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

I think people tend to forget his success at lazio far too quickly, look where that team is now without him, sven has a VERY keen eye for talent and now he isnt stuck with just english players to pick from (which lets face it.. not the greatest pool of talent is it) he will pick up some very nice players and i think the man city fans are being far too harsh on him, this time next year i reckon he'll be hailed as some kind of hero figure.

chelsea wasnt exactly thrilled when we got jose, now look at us we'd rather lose limbs than lose him ^^
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Infamous wrote:I think people tend to forget his success at lazio far too quickly, look where that team is now without him, sven has a VERY keen eye for talent and now he isnt stuck with just english players to pick from (which lets face it.. not the greatest pool of talent is it) he will pick up some very nice players and i think the man city fans are being far too harsh on him, this time next year i reckon he'll be hailed as some kind of hero figure.

chelsea wasnt exactly thrilled when we got jose, now look at us we'd rather lose limbs than lose him ^^
At that time though Lazio was a huge financial concern and he had the money to spend. Jose is in the same position at chelsea they have all the right attributes to be succesful. It's when times are hard that a good manager really shows himself, it's at that time you need to be a motivator and get the best out of your players - I don't think Erikkson is that type of man. Shrewd as he maybe (i have my reservations there) will he get the very best out of his players. Somehow i don't think he will. You have to understand that Man City are not a big player in the premiership and he'll have to make do with what he has and get the best out of his players. As shown with England he was hardly a man to be able to install idea's and get the best out of what should have been a strong squad of players that were capable of doing better.

In some respects that why i admire Waz's probable hatred of Ferguson because he get the best out players and is unable to compete money wise with chelsea. Look at what he's brought through the youth system and you soon realise jose works very well with money but Ferguson is much more clever - I feel pierce is in the same mold given the right type of backing.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

tas wrote: At that time though Lazio was a huge financial concern and he had the money to spend.
And it's much easier when you have the money to buy who you like. Chelsea had the money, but as was proved last season, money alone doesn't make a team - you still have to get them to perform and work for each other. They got a bit too complacent last season which is why they didn't win the title.
tas wrote:It's when times are hard that a good manager really shows himself, it's at that time you need to be a motivator and get the best out of your players
Spot on, squire. In a way because of the lack of money, Pearce had to play some of the kids to see if they could cut it. Over the last couple of years Micah Richards, Nedum Onouha, Stephen Ireland and Michael Johnson have now become first team regulars, and don't look out of place. And that's got to be a good sign. And all of those really respected Pearce and worked for him rather than overpaid tossers like Barton who would work against Pearce all the time by his misdemeanours.
tas wrote:You have to understand that Man City are not a big player in the premiership and he'll have to make do with what he has and get the best out of his players.
Exactly. I freely admit although we still have the support (no question there) in terms of winning trophies, we're just not a big player in that sense and won't be until we start to actually perform more consistently.

I'm just not convinced yet and won't be until we actually see how the team perform during next season. I have a feeling we'll lose to Doncaster on Saturday...
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------