A not so fun feeling...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
trace
Forum God
Forum God

A not so fun feeling...

Post by trace »

I have this terrible feeling when it comes to makeing music.
When i have a really nice idea of a rewix or a original track i just can't do it like i did before, no, i get this feeling and gets tired of it before i even have started on it:-o
What's up with that?
Any of you had this feeling? Is it time to put music a side?
Anyone has any great idea of how to start up this 'engine' again?:$
I have music projects that needs to be done so do not say i should take a brake from music:-Palthoug i thing i need that...
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Re: A not so fun feeling...

Post by Infamous »

Take a different approach to how you write it, listen to someone elses music for a bit try to find some inspiration, go watch tv for a while dont go to it because you feel you have too, go write something or continue on it when you feel you want too.

And if you dont feel the urge too.. then dont you'll not make a decent track your happy with if your not happy writing the thing in the 1st place.

And i know you said not to say it, but seriously.. if its getting that bad, take a break from it.

But bloody well come back! :-D
Instant Remedy
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Instant Remedy »

You could try some "educational musicmaking" while not producing your own music, and I don't mean go to a school to take lessons. I mean to educate yourself by trying to make music in maybe a totally different genre you probably never would have chosen yourself.

For example, I made music for a pirate-game and it was really hard to come up with a pirate-like themes in .xm format that sounded like an orchestra (1mb samples total) but in the end, the result was kind of satisfying.
It's all about personal satisfaction for most musicians I believe. Initially it was dead-hard but when things starts to come in place you will get more self confident and become aware of your skills. Satisfaction with the work. Try stick with it even if it's like banging your head to a wall - and you will be rewarded. Eventually you will win and you will get the sweet satisfaction.

Another good thing to do as a practice-session is try sounding like someone else (preferably a commercial artist and again not in your usual genre). You will have to analyze the music and then try doing the same song and make it as close as possible to the original. You will learn a lot of new techniques and ways to create music, not to mention your sonic palette will be extended. Also great fun sometimes. The final version often never gets finished and if it does, it is kind of remixed anyway. But it keeps you busy with music, having fun while picking up some new skills at the time.

Hope your creative juices start filling up again. Mine are all filled up, but time is my enemy and I have to finish some real world projects first. This winter will be an interesting time (hopefully).
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Thanks for this :)
I have been thinking of doing a "identical remake" of a commercial track, not done yet ;)

I have been thinking if it is because I have toooo much samples/instruments to brows thru...
It think it was easier when I was limited with sounds, then I had to be more creative and so and that was good :D

I think I will randomly select a few instruments (maybe 5) and make something out of it, tweaking and reuse them and maybe get this "engine" started again :D
If I don't select a chord like sound I just need to tweak the sound to make it sound like a chord like sound ;)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

Im in the same situation right now. I have a good idea in the bedroom but before i enter my living room i lose the motivation to switch the pc on and let it be. And even when i sit in front of my MadTracker i have many ideas but im just too lazy to realise them. No motivation at the moment...

One thing that helped me out at least for the moment was to try out the dozens of VST-Plugins for mastering and mixing, which are laying on my HD for month not used. I got some nice new experiences and voila: somehow i made some new track while playing around with these VSTs.

Like IR said, sometimes it helps to try out some new things to get the juices flow again... :wink:
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I have just kickstarted myself when i was at bit live 2008, It was a real inspiration to be there :D
Soundcloud PowerTrace
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

I've had the exact same feeling...

I found that in MY case, it was because I focused unknowingly much on what OTHER PEOPLE might want to hear... I was not doing the type of music I like myself 100%. I find that my inspiration comes from within... not from outside or others wishes, with the sole exclusion of getting inspiration from the SID to remix that is.

It's almost always when I do music that I want myself, that it gets best, and when I do what I think others want that I get tired of it, and it then becomes so-so...

I often find myself saying "this is not good enough for them to give it a red smiley even though I would myself!"... I'm through with that approach... you get what I want! :lol:

I've wanted for a long time to do electronic music without any type of vocals or voices in it... strictly synthesized music like in the good old Jarre albums... and I've had thoughts about everyone dissing it because people are getting more and more used to vocals and phrases in remixes, and all having to be so darn nostalgic... but I decided that I really don't care.

I wonder how many of you also take steps in your composing based on what you think others might want.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).