Who still watches cartoons despite being too old for them?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Fee1
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Who still watches cartoons despite being too old for them?

Post by Fee1 »

Aqua Teen, Family Guy, South Park, and things intended for an audience older than twelve don't count.

I watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, it's pretty corny, but that's Star Wars for ya. I also tune into Saturday morning cartoons, not because the cartoons are good, mostly so I can complain about how todays cartoons lack interesting characters, and story continuity.

Outside of Saturdays, I turn Tom & Jerry on while I'm starting my day, it doesn't make me bust a gut or anything, I just love hand drawn animation, you don't see enough of it these days. I'd watch Batman Beyond if a channel in America showed repeats of it, but no one does.

How 'bout you guys, what do you watch?
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Who still watches cartoons despite being too old for them?

Post by C64GLeN »

Me. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I do download cartoons.

X-Men and Wolverine, Spectacular Spider-Man, Clone Wars (even though it's a bit awful), etc...

I recently got back into reading comics too.
Fee1
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Fee1 »

I think Clone Wars stands out amongst the current crop of cartoons on TV. It's a 5/10 in a pool full of 2/10s, but, it's better than most of the cartoons that kids are subjected to these days. It has continuity, and the story at least tries to stay cohesive.

Speaking of Wolverine, I know I'm going to see that Wolverine flick, and I have mutton chops, like, in general, and I know people are going think "oh look at this hoser, he shaved his beard down to mutton chops to see Wolverine, what a hack".
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

I occasionally get out my Dungeons and Dragons boxset, and I still get disappointed when they never get home... :(

I know we're not supposed to talk about 'grown up' animation, but I also really like the Aeon Flux stuff (not including that silly film, of course) and I recently watched 'Grave of the Fireflies' and cried like a big sissy for about an hour after the end. Highly recommended!

Graphic novel-wise, I'm currently reading my way through the '30 days of night' books, and at least once a year I re-read Grant Morisson's 'Zenith' phaze 1, 2 & 3, which I reckon is the bestest GN ever written..

Oh, and I make music on a C64 too. That's right - I'm a geek AND a dork... I need to be shot... :hysterical:
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Hell yes, i love cartoons and animations. i especially love the old Disney cartoons, the ones from the 30's and 40's. Not the silly symphony stuff, but the Donald, Mickey and Goofy cartoons ( and the mixes of the three, like "Clock Cleaners" )

Too bad some of those cartoons are now seen as polotically incorrect, like "Donald's Happy Birthday" from 1949, where the three nephews want to give Donald a box of cigars, he thinks it for themselves and he makes them smoke them all...In the end he finds the card "Happy birthday in the box, shrinks and runs away in shame". People belive that the smoking in that cartoon is bad...but if you look at it closely, the nephews get very sick from it....no kid in the world would see that as "hmmm, i would like to try that too !"

I also like Anime, both series and movies, though not the soap style stuff like Dragonball Z ( Kame...< next episode>...Hame...< next episode>...Haaaa...< next episode>...aaaaa. It's like watching a cartoon version of "the bold and the beautiful" ). And movies like Akira, Ghost in the shell, Princess mononoke and Spirited Away are a joy to watch.

thirdly, i love modern animations ( 3D, drawn or other media ), both shorts ( who doesn't love Pixar's "Luxo Jr." or "For the birds" ) and full movies like Finding Nemo, all Wallace and Gromit movies, Flushed Away etc. etc.

Tip : Search for the word VFS ( Vancouver Film School ) on youtube for some nice and funny student projects
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Fee1
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Fee1 »

FFRenzy wrote:Tip : Search for the word VFS ( Vancouver Film School ) on youtube for some nice and funny student projects
It's weird you mention that, because VFS is the school I'll be applying to!

For their sound design course though, not their animation course.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Fee1 wrote: It's weird you mention that, because VFS is the school I'll be applying to!

I watch the Clone Wars cartoons as well, and any other cartoons that maybe on TV at the time.

So if you are going to apply for VFS am I to assume you live in Canada?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

I watch things like Tom and Jerry on occasion (and I want that D&D boxed set, too!), but usually I aim for stuff that is more mature. I watched this couple of Anime series I really enjoyed some months back.

Speedgrapher:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Grapher

Ergo Proxy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergo_Proxy

Fee1
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Fee1 »

Analog-X64 wrote:
Fee1 wrote: It's weird you mention that, because VFS is the school I'll be applying to!

I watch the Clone Wars cartoons as well, and any other cartoons that maybe on TV at the time.

So if you are going to apply for VFS am I to assume you live in Canada?
Nope, need to get me one of them student visas.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Spongebob Squarepants is comedy gold, and having kids is the perfect excuse to rewatch (and introduce them to) all the old cartoons: current favourites are classic Scooby Doo and Pink Panther :)

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Chris Abbott wrote:Spongebob Squarepants is comedy gold, and having kids is the perfect excuse to rewatch (and introduce them to) all the old cartoons: current favourites are classic Scooby Doo and Pink Panther :)

Chris
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

Sponge Bob Is comedy gold, indeed.
Power Puff Girls is also up there with the greats.
i have the dvd box sets of Ulysses 31, Starfleet and Battle of the Planets.
I also have all the Dangermouse dvds i can get my hands on.
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I sometims go to youtube to watch some Tex Avery cartoons, I just love the sillyness in those cartoons :D
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... avery&aq=f

Other than that I watch some good old disney movies and stuff on disney channel.
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Futurama - But that doesn't really qualify as a kids cartoon... :mrgreen:
All is lost.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Well when you mention kids, my daughter likes She-Ra - bought her the DVD.