C64 Emulator 4 iPhone - the wait is over!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: C64 Emulator 4 iPhone - the wait is over!

Post by Dr.Future »

You can also get the 'Commodore Sports Pack I' for free which includes International Soccer, International, Basketball, International Tennis and Le Mans.
How that?
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Dr.Future wrote:
You can also get the 'Commodore Sports Pack I' for free which includes International Soccer, International, Basketball, International Tennis and Le Mans.
How that?
I got it from their website; http://c64.manomio.com/index.php/games
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

I've interviewed the guys behind this. The reason the app originally got rejected had nothing to do with copyright—it was down to Apple laying down the letter of the law regarding the SDK agreement and 'interpretation' of rules regarding interpreters. Sega managed to get through unscathed throughout, but Frotz had an update banned. Various other interpreters are on the store.

My understanding is that Manomio is trying to do everything the right way regarding the games, and fully licence all content. Although ad-hoc builds reviewers like myself got (that are tied to a specific iPhone or iPod touch UDID) had unlicensed content, the final builds submitted to Apple only ever had Commodore games within. The idea is to release single games or bundles that are licensed and that add to the library within the emulator, assuming the app gets back on to the store. (Note that the only way you could have gotten a bundle or added other games to C64 is with a jailbroken Apple handheld. There's no official means of adding content yet.)

As for the C64 app itself, it's not bad, although games suffer in the same way as most digital control efforts on the device. The controls aren't really precise enough for 1980s tough-as-nails arcade games.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Of course this happens right after I pick up my Samsung Rogue. :nonono:
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

RobinsonMason wrote:Of course this happens right after I pick up my Samsung Rogue.
Perhaps surprisingly, Apple's handhelds (iPhone and iPod touch) are great for retro-oriented gaming. I haven't turned on my DS in ages. Check out my GamesRadar article for an example of a few great titles.