BBS's that are still alive and kicking.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

BBS's that are still alive and kicking.

Post by Analog-X64 »

I haven't noticed anyone mention this elsewhere so here goes.

I'm on 80sBBS@yahoogroups.com which is a mailing list/digest all about 80's BBS's,
and through that list I learned that there is an active BBS community.

You can get a listing for these BBS's right here: http://cbbsoutpost.servebbs.com/

Some have actual Telephone numbers setup like the old days that you can dial into and
some have just the virtual BBS where you use Telnet method to connect.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: BBS's that are still alive and kicking.

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Looks awesome. Brings back fond memories of phoning up a Fairlights "Warez Aquarium" on my C= 1670 back in the day - even though it was in a different country. =)

Everyone with an interest in BBS'ing should watch Jason Scott's brilliant "BBS: The Documentary".
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Nice! This one even allows an emulated VICE connection: http://retrogradebbs.com/
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:Looks awesome. Brings back fond memories of phoning up a Fairlights "Warez Aquarium" on my C= 1670 back in the day - even though it was in a different country. =)

Everyone with an interest in BBS'ing should watch Jason Scott's brilliant "BBS: The Documentary".
I remember connecting to some BBS's across the pond back in the 80's and it was a very sinful thing to do, as the costs were just amazing, I remember connecting for 5-10 mins just to have a looking knowing well it would cost me, something like $20 or more.

I have the DVD Documentary very well made. I havent been back to the site, but there was promise of tons of footage to be made available online that simply would be too many dvds to produce.

RobinsonMason wrote:Nice! This one even allows an emulated VICE connection: http://retrogradebbs.com/
Nice will check it out.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I've almost been tempted to bid for Commodore modems but thought better of it.

It's nice to know that BBS' still exist but the phone costs must be astronomical for any real use. I much prefer to use my cheap broadband to download the disk images and load those into my Commie instead.

I wonder if there's any way to connect your 64 to the PC via serial, as I do, then use a PC program to dial into these BBS' through the broadband. There must be some kind of cross-connection possible; if they can do it with Skype for normal calls then surely something can be done.