Turrican 2-007 (Subtune 4 - The Funky Bass Experience)

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Turrican 2-007 (Subtune 4 - The Funky Bass Experience)

Post by FunkyM »

Yes, it's me :)

Yes, I'm back. :)

Yes, I did this one before, and yes, It wasn't very good. This version is new, and better.

Click here for it.

Feedback please. Suggestions Welcomed, if enough people like it, I'm submitting it to RKO.
FMI - Creators of Funky Monkey, Cozy Cat, and NEW! Thunder Horse!

Try our products today, you'll really Notice the difference!
Dafunk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dafunk »

this is actually quite good. i loved the intro. the track itself needs more bottom, a bit stronger drums and maybe some variation to the bass. try to make it more funky by putting some pause in places in the bassline. i like the chords part. use a little less delay and maybe a little more reverb on that wobbly arp lead, or even lift it one octave higher the second time it plays. maybe try adding some string or pads of some sort to make it a bit fuller. you should play around and see how it sounds. hope it helps a bit. respect your effort. keep up. kind regards! :)
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Agree with funk, the beginning does sound very nice and again i agree whats missing is the bottom end of the bass, its hardly existant which is a shame cos the 1st time the bassline starts (from the silence) would be quite cool if it made things rumble a bit.

The rest of it works quite well, though it seems to be more about whacking as much reverb (though in fairness it isnt annoying, it just seems to be your effect of choice) in there and hoping for the best. This though is a great launching pad for you to work upon. tweak it around mate and give it a good polish over.

maybe change it up in the middle section aswell as it does seem to just repeat itself which some people dont seem to like (but personally speaking and coming from the dance background.. its what im used too hehe), and finally the ending.. abrupt! hehe.

anyway, its a bloody good effort and i hope anything i said there makes some sense hehe, keep it up theres definitely quite the good musician in you :)
FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by FunkyM »

Cheers all, :)

The middle bit's a bit of a blank at the moment. I'm sort of at a loss as to what to put in there. I might put up the ReNoise file for some kind soul to add a lovely Guitar solo or drum freak out, And I'll most likely put up the V1 mix, with the growling bass, though that one's less levelled.

Well, I'll try to Skype a few ppl and get their reactions live.

Keep the suggestions coming and I'll keep working :)

Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=%2Fp ... 3&fileinfo

Sort of exentuating total change in a middle section. its amazing how suddenly going quiet and doing something completely different to the original tune (but remaining in the original key so you can do what he does with this tune.. or it really does go a bit tits up.. see my exolon for how NOT to do a keychange haha).

anyway i really look forward to hearing how this grow's, alot of potential in it :)
FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by FunkyM »

:? :? :?

I've been trying to find a good deep bass all morning, if anyone's got any suggestions, kindly put up a linky.

And the "Wobbly arpeggio" lead is actually a cheat using a single beep note and a lot of Delay ;) (I'm telling you my secrets! now everyone'll be doing it!)

But I'll keep trying, though I still believe I need a collaborator to iron out all the bugs and put in cool things...

Any Volunteers?

FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by FunkyM »

News on this Front!

Will be Uploading this onto RS for to gauge reactions, and sending it to Bozzy for his opinion (and hopefully a spin on the BBB), and then, off to RKO for Eternal Glory!

Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

FunkyM: Are you using only samples as your instruments mainly? ... I'm asking because the bass has sure signs of it being a sample (can be heard in the high notes)... My advice would be to find a synth bass, or at least a multisampled bass since it's clearly a one-piece sample being transposed so much that the high notes sound "cut off"... afterall a single sample played one octave higher is played through double as fast :) ... Using samples is quite alright, but if you do, you should try and make it sound less "mechanical" which is usual with one-sample instruments :)

What do you use to make your music?
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by FunkyM »

I've only ever been a Tracker man, I've moved on to ReNoise now, and I used Audacity for the Mastering, but I haven't uploaded the final yet.

The link in the first post is the WIP, but yes, I use samples, because I haven't found a good free Synth bass.

For now, I've uploaded the AUP file (the Audacity Project file) for Demonstration purposes.

http://rapidshare.com/files/49004885/Tu ... Master.aup

And here is the link to the First Release Candidate:

http://rapidshare.com/files/49005589/Tu ... 007_RC.mp3

Opinions, and I will continue to search for a good Synth Bass

Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

FunkyM: Now it's been a while since I used trackers (all back on the AMIGA)... can ReNoise use soft-synths? VSTi? ... there are plenty of free VSTi synths out there, just take a look at http://www.kvraudio.com/ and find something free... there is plenty, but I'm sure others here can help you better than I with this, as I'm a hardware guy.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I'm not a big fan of slap bass and this one sounds like it came from the early Amiga ST-XX Sample Disks.

I would get a better sample or use a free vst.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

RapidShare tells me to purchase a premium account or wait 147 minutes.

Why not use http://www.speedyshare.com/ ? It's much easier than RapidShare.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by FunkyM »

Maybe, And it does look cheaper (Especially with such a weak dollar atm)

Well, I'll consider it for the next Release candidate.

xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

No more rapidshare, please :(

Speedyshare looks much better and smoother, for the downloader at least, whom is the intended audience; I assume.

For americans I suggest skydrive.live.com and xdrive.com.
FunkyM
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Turrican 2-007 (Subtune 4 - The Funky Bass Experience)

Post by FunkyM »

Well, I finally got on to RKO. Any tips for my next release?