Chris told me to do this...

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

PS. You should read my quite surprised reponse in the other thread "What to do next" :shock:
Already done and answered :wink:

TOM::::....
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Lagerfeldt wrote:Thanks merman. It's actually just one tune, Robocop 3 which also appeared in the Dutch Breeze demo, and not two different tunes. The underlying synth theme is an original addition of mine.
So-called expert shoots himself in the foot. It hurts. :cry:
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Cheer up :wink:
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

merman wrote:So-called expert shoots himself in the foot. It hurts. :cry:
Bruce Campell as Ash wrote: Gun-control means hitting your target... Remember that...
;)
<--- I went that way --->
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

And Ash said...

"Groovy!" :twisted:
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Chris told me to do this...

Post by CraigG »

Lagerfeldt wrote:I've just finished my Dutch Breeze/Robocop 3 (Maniacs of Noise) remix
http://www.popmusic.dk/robocop3remix.mp3
Having listened to this a few times now, it's a pretty good remix, but why is the bass so quiet in your remixes? The Robocop III one would have so much more 'oomph' if the bass was ramped up a bit.
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Hi CraigG!

Thanks for your comments!

Being a pro mixer, I can tell you the bass isn't quiet in the Robocop 3 remix. The Arkanoid one needed a bit more bass I think, this was due to some low freq overcompression in the mastering - too lazy at 03:00 am! :-)

However, it may seem so due to the fact that it's been mixed for larger speakers and not specifically targeted at computer speakers which some of the other remixes are, thus unrealistically boosting the bass parts in range 90-150 Hz, where as the bass freq is mainly below 90 Hz in my remix. Frequencies below 100 Hz are rarely very obvious on small speakers.

But mainly if you compare this remix to a lot of other C64 remixes I think you will find the bass is actually quite adequate, even on the high side. Try first listening to the Lightforce remix http://remix.kwed.org/download.php/1182 ... mix%29.mp3
(btw, nice bongo drum flow, almost tabla-like!)

and then to the Robocop 3 remix without adjusting the speakers in any way, and you will find the bass is in fact much more pronounced in the latter. On the other hand you will find some C64 remixes with excessive bass, not playable on larger systems at all.
http://www.popmusic.dk/robocop3remix.mp3

Indeed if you compare this remix to commercial recordings (even here large variations of bass frequency material exist depending on the song, key, and mixing style, and mastering engineer) you will also find it is within the standard, and not in the low end, that is.

The reason I've targeted larger speakers (actually just targeted regular hi fi speakers, but it was mixed on large studio monitors) was in case it would be used commercially or semi-commercially, in which case this demo is an adequate representation of the eventually finished mix which would endure playback on larger speaker systems than computer speakers.

That being said, the bass is fine on my own computer speakers, but systems do vary quite a lot, and it might sound different on your system.
Last edited by Lagerfeldt on 01/07/2003 - 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

I suppose it's subjective, but I should point out I'm _not_ using computer speakers. My Mac's connected to a reasonable hi-fi (not the best, but certainly not bad) and the bass sounds weak to me. And this is compared to a number of tracks I have sitting in iTunes, be they commercial releases or other C64 remixes. I don't know - maybe I just like more/stronger bass these days (blame Wire (Send) et al...)

(And for the record, while I'm not with a record label, I too am a musician that records/mixes stuff...) :)
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Thanks again for your very constructive comments.

It is of course subjective until a certain level, the response curve can be measured, and I suppose my remix could be more linear in the bottom end, which may account for the perceived lack of low end material on your system.

I will look into providing a more linear bass response to increase system compatibility next time.

Holger
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

I should probably also point out that this remix has grown on me a lot since I first heard it - it's very nicely done. I just had another listen, and ramped up the volume, which helps a lot with the bass (as it often does). As I mentioned previously, I imagine my current listening habits have as much (or more) to do with my comments than your production methods, which are clearly very good. I'm listening to a lot of bass-heavy/intense stuff right now, which probably affects my thoughts elsewhere.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Lagerfeldt wrote:It's pretty cool that Denmark is relatively strongly represented in the scene. Don't know about world domination tho?!!?! :)
World domination, eh? That's nothing but unsubstantiated slander. :wink:
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Cheers mate!

Looking forward to seeing my remixes on your (super) site, eventually.

:)
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

I have been planning c64-world domination since the days you kids where pissing in your diapers!
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Max Levin wrote:I have been planning c64-world domination since the days you kids where pissing in your diapers!
Good for you. Now go visit here
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Did you get my last email, LF?

Chris