BIT - FUTURE PLANNING ideas

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Benn wrote:Sorry for the major sarcasm, but I'm afraid your post deserved it.
Well, it isn't the first or surely the last time.
Benn wrote:Read the comments all over this forum from the people who were there, and I'll think you'll realise how wrong you were.
I tried to further explain my opinion in the subsequent posts, and I'm not trying to undermine the concert's value or the experience as such. I'm just trying to be realistic about financials of arranging such things (I've been partial to arranging local events for 2000 people etc) while being ambitious about the content.

I just hope this'll lead to constructive dialogue of what else the event could be in addition to the concert in the future. In that case it would be worth it to stab the holy cow, even if it was a few days too early.

Sumppi
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

'kin 'ell, Makke. *hug*

What he said!
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

It's like love. If you haven't experienced it, you can't understand it.
- Which goes right back to Brighton last year when a young lad from (i think) germany was repeatedly reciting "Rob Habbard Ist Playing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik ON STAGE - In front off me LIVE"

I gotta say its everything Makke said, when i did Brighton, i spent most of the time driving folks around, and ya know, id do it again too, i made a great m8 in Andreas Wallstrom (appologies for the lack on umlauf's and regional grammar), in Ben, in Mark the Madfiddler, Chris and Kenz were just awesome, I met the Mame team inc Subzero (who's ass i subsequently kicked and enjoy repeatedly reminding of it (our little injoke since i really SUCK at streetfighter lol)), i was sat next to Dr Future and the MD team ... I met Pex who's music ive admired for a LONG time .... i could go on and on and on, but im sure you get the idea.....

Theres so many great ppl involved in BITlive that its more like a close family atmosphere than some random mass copyparty / demoparty.

I do miss puter clubs and parties, but you have to understand, BIT Live is an entity all of its own, its unique, and that above all else is why you read so much here that this should not be the last one.
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

Bog wrote:
my only criticism is £50 is probably a bit steep and although I would be half tempted to fork out that myself (being a diehard fan) maybe my other friends who would normally attend probably wouldnt fork out that much.
£50 is one day's work at Burger King. They pay about £7 an hour.

If you can't give one day's work at Burger King to the cause, out of your year's labours, then I'm fscking sorry for you.

Where do I sign up?

Hi Bog :-)

Over here we have something called "Dagsværk" in the schools.
It's a day where all students go out and work for someone, get paid, and donate all the money from that day to a cause.

Usually it's the rainforests, or starving africans etc.

Could easily be arranged..
..Ride the SIDwave!!
http://www.janharries.com
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

Well, I'm just gonna say out flat what I want to happen, and then you can eat it and do it, or decide to end it here, cause it's going to go this way anyway, your only choice is to stop all now - if you don't want this:

1) Do same as i-Tunes
2) with a twist...

Whatever you do, do NOT EVER SELL OUT!

That's means: if offer comes to buy BIT, SAY NO!

daz it...

Then 'our' collective dreaming can continue forever and ever, and that's what you always wanted, that's why you are here now.
..Ride the SIDwave!!
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

rambones wrote:Then 'our' collective dreaming can continue forever and ever, and that's what you always wanted, that's why you are here now.
Sorry, can't resist the bad pun... paragraph above reminded me of
"We are the Borg, resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the collective" Yadda, Yadda! :wink:
All is lost.
jgb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jgb »

As one of the listeners via Slay Radio one can at least say something about what I heard.

The performances were excellent with great sound coming through my speakers! The sound from the audience cheering could have been louder though, to get more of a feeling of actually being there.

Inbetween the live acts? Nah, quite boring actually to be honest. Someone should have been hosting the radio part of the show too, but hey! One cannot cover everything. It was LIVE! And love. And C64.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oddly, BIT Live was originally conceived as something designed to be as different to copy parties as possible. No skills required, no intervention required except to enjoy what was on offer. Meet people you never thought you'd meet, do things you'd never thought you'd do... and all in a relatively manageable period of time.

Copy parties make me _shudder_. Packed into a school hall trying to code in realtime? Sleeping bags?? brrrr... no, that's not for me. I can understand who it WAS for, and I'm glad that this experience was there for them. But for the rest: the actual audience... the non-creators... the fans.. what for them? Most of us were too young to experience the old computer shows of yore, especially the legendary sense that things were happening that people would talk about for years. I wanted to be a part of that. But I couldn't be... and then the wilderness years. And then the chance for a short while to give ourselves that feeling while everyone was in the mood.

And then, unexpectedly, live bands started up. It just seemed like a good idea at the time to use BIT Live to expand the performance art: I have a huge respect for real performers, and I've also got a taste for the quirky :) And so it grew. People volunteered to perform, and every year people who had been spectators at the previous event became performers at the next one :)

It became clear quite early on that the thing people enjoyed most about the BIT Lives was meeting people. Obviously copy parties are about the same thing, but if you merely meet people in the shadow of some happening, it lends an entirely new dimension. The word "magic" has been mentioned, and it is a kind of alchemy. It's the same alchemy that turns a dreary building with crap carpets on the walls into a magical setting by night. Like turning the lights on a dreary iron structure turns it into a lit bridge of beauty. People need a reason to get off their butts, because just spending money to go and meet people isn't something to do: people come for the event, but what they usually get is much more: a whole heap of people who have put the usual cynicism aside and experienced a wide-eyed wonder at what's going on. It's all in the perception. Ironically as the organiser I can see through the illusion: I've seen Gossips at its worst, I've seen the Brighton Centre empty, I've seen St. Luke's without a stage with tramps pissing on the flowers... but when I looked around, I didn't just see people enjoying a concert. I saw people living a dream they thought they'd never have, and not believing it. I saw people who've never met before become firm friends without the usual suspicion. The amount of openness was astounding. And it had the added bonus of demythologising the composers. To us, now, Ben is a funny, brilliant musical performer who's great to share a drink with, not some untouchable legend. And that's healthy.

I forget what the point was. But even if I'm not doing it, BIT Live should not become a copy party. It's gloriously different. BIT Live at its best gives fans the chance to become rockstars, and to do musical things they never thought were possible, in front of an audience that appreciates it. I was always convinced that C64 music should be appreciated by more people. I was, and am, still quite Messianic about that. And luckily the talent was around to really give people who wanted to play (and put the work in) a chance to live the dream for a day. C64 mafia are a perfect example. A silly chance remark in IRC resulted in a funny and memorably live performance that forever changes how Makke and Larsec are viewed. BIT Live has changed lives. Seriously. I just wish that more of the fans could have removed their cynicism and apathy, met me halfway and given it a go.

It's all about the people, people...

Um, I'm sure there was a point there somewhere. See if you can find it!

Chris
Benn
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Benn »

Cor - I wish I'd said that. But then I always was more of a pisstaker than a poet :) Hear hear.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I'm not gonna disguise the fact, but sometimes me and chris havn't seen eye to eye... But one thing i have to say is that I have the utmost respect for what he has done, and what great days i have!

If we have another bitlive from Chris or wether we don't...I will always be indebted cos someone cared enough to make a difference...

who else can say that???

WELL DONE CHRIS! and THANK YOU!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, it's generally been a communication thing, and me and Neil being very different people, but I've also got maximum respect for Neil being motivated enough to put his money and his energy where his mouth is, both in CD terms and in the support of the live event, both financially, and just by bloody well being there and having a good time.

Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Ya know what..... despite everything said my many peoples.... this BIT isnt the last... do you know why ? Because it means too much to Chris AND the performers AND the fans ..... ok, so we collectively dont fill wembly stadium - SO THE FUCK WHAT ! - WE'RE HERE AND WE'LL STILL BE HERE TEN YEARS FROM NOW :D

Also, i dont think this was the last Chris would organise, it means too much to him to let go, and worry about what some1 else would do in his place that may corrupt the perfect world he's built up around us over the last few years.

Well done Chris ..... Bloody Well DONE ! 8)
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

Chris Abbott wrote:Oddly, BIT Live was originally conceived as something designed to be as different to copy parties as possible. No skills required, no intervention required except to enjoy what was on offer. Meet people you never thought you'd meet, do things you'd never thought you'd do... and all in a relatively manageable period of time.

Copy parties make me _shudder_. Packed into a school hall trying to code in realtime? Sleeping bags?? brrrr... no, that's not for me. I can understand who it WAS for, and I'm glad that this experience was there for them. But for the rest: the actual audience... the non-creators... the fans.. what for them? Most of us were too young to experience the old computer shows of yore, especially the legendary sense that things were happening that people would talk about for years. I wanted to be a part of that. But I couldn't be... and then the wilderness years. And then the chance for a short while to give ourselves that feeling while everyone was in the mood.

And then, unexpectedly, live bands started up. It just seemed like a good idea at the time to use BIT Live to expand the performance art: I have a huge respect for real performers, and I've also got a taste for the quirky :) And so it grew. People volunteered to perform, and every year people who had been spectators at the previous event became performers at the next one :)

It became clear quite early on that the thing people enjoyed most about the BIT Lives was meeting people. Obviously copy parties are about the same thing, but if you merely meet people in the shadow of some happening, it lends an entirely new dimension. The word "magic" has been mentioned, and it is a kind of alchemy. It's the same alchemy that turns a dreary building with crap carpets on the walls into a magical setting by night. Like turning the lights on a dreary iron structure turns it into a lit bridge of beauty. People need a reason to get off their butts, because just spending money to go and meet people isn't something to do: people come for the event, but what they usually get is much more: a whole heap of people who have put the usual cynicism aside and experienced a wide-eyed wonder at what's going on. It's all in the perception. Ironically as the organiser I can see through the illusion: I've seen Gossips at its worst, I've seen the Brighton Centre empty, I've seen St. Luke's without a stage with tramps pissing on the flowers... but when I looked around, I didn't just see people enjoying a concert. I saw people living a dream they thought they'd never have, and not believing it. I saw people who've never met before become firm friends without the usual suspicion. The amount of openness was astounding. And it had the added bonus of demythologising the composers. To us, now, Ben is a funny, brilliant musical performer who's great to share a drink with, not some untouchable legend. And that's healthy.

I forget what the point was. But even if I'm not doing it, BIT Live should not become a copy party. It's gloriously different. BIT Live at its best gives fans the chance to become rockstars, and to do musical things they never thought were possible, in front of an audience that appreciates it. I was always convinced that C64 music should be appreciated by more people. I was, and am, still quite Messianic about that. And luckily the talent was around to really give people who wanted to play (and put the work in) a chance to live the dream for a day. C64 mafia are a perfect example. A silly chance remark in IRC resulted in a funny and memorably live performance that forever changes how Makke and Larsec are viewed. BIT Live has changed lives. Seriously. I just wish that more of the fans could have removed their cynicism and apathy, met me halfway and given it a go.

It's all about the people, people...

Um, I'm sure there was a point there somewhere. See if you can find it!

Chris

So basicly Chris, because you never became a scener (coding) f.ex, you never felt at home at these copy parties, and as you grew older it just frustrated the hell out of you that you couldn't make you dreams come true in this world.

So you started to create your own scene.

You have succeeded! 100%

So did I, ripping and making sure that I get all the SIDs collected and spread, so they don't get lost.

What is going on now, is simply that:

1) you didn't talk to EVERYONE at any copy party, its almost impossible..
2) then you go home with DATA in your head, but no INDEX to use it
3) this takes its turn over some years
4) too many non existant INDEXes, too much data = explosion
"now I HAVE to do SOMETHING!!!!!!" :-)

You know what caused this ?

Hacked up, random computer-use. Multiplex life.

The world is not so simple as it was just 20 years ago.

I have spent a great deal of time studying the music evolution, and roughly, it has taken each 'style' 33 years to go from start to public mode.

I shall never give up, in fact i know that I don't even have to do anything other than just ripping tunes, because it is going to go where you want nomatter what.

Because our generation is now in charge, until we get old (watch out, the young ones a SPEEDY as hell! but lack experience)

There's a cycle going every 33-35 years, where a generation matures finally, and it's just a natural law that this will be reflected in the world.

It's not a mystery of any sort of something, it's how it has been for a long long time.

So don't worry.

Just go on.
..Ride the SIDwave!!
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

Umm I forgot the punchline..

We now have INDEX, which we get from seeing eachother.
Sorting the mailbox/forum in your head is not working, until after physical meeting - BIT!

Now each person can find out what they really wanted, because they can ask this person for real, and you can say honestly what was on your mind.

We wouldn't have had this, if not for the fucking computer, but also we wouldn't have had all this trouble, if not for the computer.

Just look what you wrote 2 days ago, then look at all the brainstorming here i the forum, then look what you just wrote (that this is a reply to) - then look at the fact we have mailed since 1997 - talked only 10 mins IRL etc.

But I never heard all this from you before, until now, and all the mippelimip I have written in the past 2 days also I never would have written before, because then people call me a skizo.

Just look at it!!! what EVERYBODY is writing right now!!!

It's the best free download of info I ever saw!

And it just happened after an IRL meet.

Computers are crap, but we need them mate :-)
..Ride the SIDwave!!
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Have to agree with Chris and Ben, BIT Live is about the *people*, not the computer. My brother came with me this time, and his jaw was on the floor as I talked to Ben, to Marcel Donné, when Jon Hare and Carl Muller joined us for a drink afterwards (and thanks for getting a round in, Carl!)...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live