C64 Walkabout Podcast (#13 - Knight 'n' Grail)

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: C64 Walkabout Podcast (#11 VIC-20 RoQ Interview)

Post by RobinsonMason »

First time interview, hope you guys enjoy - not really a music thing this time, mostly just discussion.

http://networkedblogs.com/3p4b6

http://c64walkabout.com/2010/04/30/c64- ... vieew.aspx
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: C64 Walkabout Podcast (#11, Realms of Quest Interview)

Post by Kenz »

Nice interview, very interesting stuff. I've added a link to it to the Psytronik press page. :)
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Glad you liked it Kenz - I wish I had known more about the history of Psytronik sofware when I started talking about it. :oops: I'd be happy to do more like this one in the future..
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

It was interesting, but it seemed like a big effort to get him to maintain the conversation! I nearly switched off after 10 minutes, but was great to get his insight
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

I used to teach conversational English in Japan, Khisanth, so my guess from experience drumming up conversation is that Ghislain is a bit on the shy side, that's all. :) He was very excited about the call and suggested it himself -- we used talkshoe and that was his idea.

I would love to do a show with some of the very talkative (and comical) guys in the music scene, though! Talking to someone else on my podcast was fun. Don't know if I'd use talkshoe again though - not unless I can get better audio quality.
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

guess I am so used to people being very enthusiastic about these things, tend not to see many shy people in the scene.

Has peaked my interest in the vic-20 for sure, esp as I love that kind if rpg
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

RobinsonMason wrote:Talking to someone else on my podcast was fun. Don't know if I'd use talkshoe again though - not unless I can get better audio quality.
If you can get your interview subject to record his end of the conversation and send it to you for some post-production splicing, that yields the best result. The chaps over at http://youlooknicetoday.com/ do that to record a 3-way conversation and the end result sounds like everyone's in the same room.

There's a fancy radio term for it, but of course I can't recall what it is right now. Anyone?
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Khisanth - I actually bought a VIC-20 on Ebay just to play RoQ on the original hardware! :P Sadly my disk drives have not been as cooperative...so I've been playing it in emulation (I still love the cool packaging).

Thanks again for the tips Jan --- went back to the show's original premise with my new one -- a game, some live play, and a short running time with hopefully a weekly format: http://c64walkabout.com/2010/08/02/c64- ... ility.aspx

Seems to be a problem this time with the in-browser play button but the "download" link works fine.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

RobinsonMason wrote:went back to the show's original premise with my new one -- a game, some live play, and a short running time with hopefully a weekly format: http://c64walkabout.com/2010/08/02/c64- ... ility.aspx
Downloaded. Now to get through the 23,5 hour podcast backlog that has amassed in iTunes over the last three weeks. :shock:

Btw, the radio term I was searching for turned out to be "Double Ended Recording".
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: C64 Walkabout Podcast (#12, Realm of Impossibility)

Post by khisanth »

i am in the exact same situation as my PC has been dead for over month now. So my ipod will no doubt have about 300 podcasts trying to download when i get it running tonight
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

I wish I had that problem! I listen to podcasts on my daily commute, and more often than not find my selection lacking by mid-week. :) Perhaps I just need a wider selection than the 15-20 or so I currently subscribe to.

I went ahead and deleted a LOT of old podcasts to make room for the new ones. Was supposed to do one last week but Kenz is going to provide some input, so I've put it off until then. I'll probably find another game in the meantime...
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

there is one retro podcast, cant remember the name but it comes in at FIVE hours!! that should extend your listening a bit!

it might be retro gaming radio or something.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

Thanks for the tip, I think I know the one. I get into all sorts of podcasts from the political to Old Time Radio dramas. Some of the long podcasts are tough to slog through with multiple hosts talking about their dogs, the weather, and anything but the topic at hand though! I do love the banter when it's mildly on-topic, but a few I've downloaded recently for TV shows and the like sound like 4 guys/girls in a dorm room passing around a mic and just randomly spouting thoughts. I hope I don't make any podcasts like that!

Kenz gave me his audio input today so I hope to have another episode out within 24 hours!
khisanth
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by khisanth »

the worst one for that is the Kevin Smith podcast. We all love his films,but I think his ego is starting to inflate A LOT. I tried his podcast and its the most childish stupid drivel I have ever heard. Consists of a "topic" and of Kevin Smith say random things he thinks are hilarious and his co-host laughs so hard at everything he says in the most sycophantic way. and they talk rubbish for over an hour :evil:
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: C64 Walkabout Podcast (#13 - Knight 'n' Grail)

Post by RobinsonMason »

khisanth wrote:the worst one for that is the Kevin Smith podcast. We all love his films,but I think his ego is starting to inflate A LOT. I tried his podcast and its the most childish stupid drivel I have ever heard. Consists of a "topic" and of Kevin Smith say random things he thinks are hilarious and his co-host laughs so hard at everything he says in the most sycophantic way. and they talk rubbish for over an hour :evil:
I listen to one called the Film Sack. There's a line that some popular podcasters seem to cross where the whole point of the podcast is lost in an ego trip -- I try to keep all of mine on topic. That said, I'll listen to guys like Jan Lund Thomsen talk on and on about C64 remixes and stuff -- the key is that they need to be likable and keep things interesting to the target audience. Or be really good like a Late Night talk show host! :) When I podcast I consider myself a Commodore 64 gaming evangelist -- whether people know about me as Robinson Mason or not is irrelevant. I do love writing fiction and promoting my stories, but even then it's the thrill of sharing a story and a world I've envisioned with others that drives me, not some fantasy about becoming famous.

Here's my latest with Kenz! http://c64walkabout.com/2010/08/21/c64- ... grail.aspx C64 Walkabout Podcast #13 - Knight 'n' Grail