Project Hubbard: is there a point?

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...

Project: Hubbard. Your opinion?

Do it. Do it now. Mmmmmmmmm.
41%
Well, it might be nice.
30%
Hmm, what's the difference from emulation again?
15%
There's no point. Really. Stop it now.
15%

Total votes: 27

Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Actually, one thing I've never quite got my head around with the C64 scene (and which has come up before), is the ability for people to be personally insulted by the mere existence of CDs they don't like.

I mean, let's say (for the sake of argument) Project Hubbard does exist with no new stuff: just nice recordings of Hubbard's SIDs on CD with a nice booklet, and Rob getting a nice wodge from the sales. Some people would apparently feel strongly that the CD shouldn't exist, and would actually be very nasty about expressing their opinion, presumably in an attempt to get it withdrawn from sale (unless they're complaining for the sake of complaining: but who would do that? ;-)

Why is that? It's just a CD: it doesn't actually harm anybody, no one's forced to buy it at gunpoint, and there are (from the looks of the voting), about 50% of people who think it's an OK to very good thing, depending on preference.

In fact, this wouldn't be new for "Project Hubbard", since we went through the same thing for Sidologie, and pretty much all CD releases since Karma.

It's just weird that some feel so strongly about it that they would actually deny the CD to other people who might enjoy it, if they could. For me, such "reverse passion" is one of the uglier parts of the scene because it's based purely on selfish instinctive reactions which are then rationalised (usually poorly) into an argument which comes down to: "I don't like this. Therefore it's bad for the scene. Scum!". And it's a human trait that even though we know intellectually that some other people may react differently from us, we don't, deep down at an instinctive emotional level, actually believe that other people could be so different...

Anyway, just chewing the cud. Obviously no one in this thread has said anything like that yet, but interestingly we all know that there are some people who would (probably anonymously, if they had the chance).

Chris

* disclaimer: this post doesn't not mean that we have decided to do Project Hubbard with no new material, or at all.
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Project Hubbard: is there a point?

Post by carlsson »

Chris Abbott wrote:If we recorded his music from a good SID chip (such as Martin's) would that still be worthwhile?
Would Rob's music sound good on Martin's SID chip with its unique filter qualities? There were a few composers covering Rob's PC (and Amiga?) music later. Would it make sense (and do you cover licenses for) to include comparisons of these musics as well as Rob's own SID material?

BTW, I had a really good laugh at LaLa's comment about the ukulele. :lol:
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

I think a CD of Rob's music would be a great idea from the point of view that there isn't a definitive collection of Rob's SIDs anyway apart from the C64 demos that were done by Sphinx years ago.

The fact that the music on the CD wouldn't be SIDs created on Rob's own C64 is not really a problem for me and certainly welcome by myself.

I will say that, if such a CD appeared, it would have to be a CD independant from the Project: ? tag as it can't be classed in the same category as Project: Galway due to no access to Rob's original C64 for example.

I agree with ice00 & Larsec that some new compositions from Rob incorporated on a CD with the originals would work well.

Paul
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

"The Hubbard Collection" would be a better idea, really. Good quality recordings with some interesting liner notes... A chronological order would make it worth listening to, hearing how Rob developed his style.

As for people complaining, it's human nature Chris. You're not going to change it. The point is, there are people out there who appreciate what you are doing, and what you hope to achieve. Keep up the good work!
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Chris.. when ur getting personally insulted, and shouted at for releasing a CD, its because ITS GOOD. Ok I know, sounds cobblers.. take a look at the recent slur on the Lib Dems... they dont care they got slagged off, because it showed they HAD AN IMPACT, and that somebody somewhere is PAYING ATTENTION.

Youre getting noticed, and thats the bets thing about it - peoples indevidual right to choose. It's always going to be the case, that when some1 is on top and doing well, theres some1 busy trying to destroy it for whatever reason.

So i say dont buckle under it .... ur doing a GREAT job, and im sure the majority of this community will agree with me on that one.

Can I Pre-Order ? :D
FromWithin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by FromWithin »

I'd pay for a Rob Hubbard CD just because I can't be bothered recording the SIDs and MP3ing them to put on my MP3 Jukebox. :)

I'd love to know how Lightforce is supposed to sound with the filter it was intended for. It sounds far too severe on reSID to me. It would be good to get Rob to approve the C64 that it would be recorded on.

But it would surely have to be more than 2 CDs? Just Knucklebusters would take up a quarter of a disc.
Mike Clarke
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

I'd love to know how Lightforce is supposed to sound with the filter it was intended for. It sounds far too severe on reSID to me. It would be good to get Rob to approve the C64 that it would be recorded on
I agree - this is an excellent suggestion from "From with-in". As for The Rob CD, I voted Yes because in years to come I'd want to be able to cherish his music as it was meant to be, complete with a nice booklet of notes from Rob detailing exactly what each remix was about, and what it meant to him. I still listen to sids in their original state and think they have a sound completely unique and something that will never be repeated again.

Just out of curiousity, if this was to be a definitive CD collection, how many CD's would it take up ? It would be unfair not to publish every single track, but how far do you go ? Run the risk of upsettng people because the sub tune 2 from Human Race wasn't included ? Or, where's the Tarzan theme ? etc....

As Chris points out, if if's not your thing, then don't buy it. One thing I wanted to ask Rob at BIT Live was if he'd ever considered releasing some Rob Hubbard music that wasn't sid related. I'd be very interested to hear that too ! (but I was too nervous - mmmm)

Enough from me.....any more comments ?

Tomsk
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

tomsk wrote:(but I was too nervous - mmmm)
Be honest, mate! You were too drunk! ;)
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Hold on there Makke ! I was shaking like a ........

Oh hang on.......
Yeah

I was drunk.

:?
FromWithin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by FromWithin »

Just thought of something else that would be really good for a Project Hubbard:

Get someone to re-write the playroutine on each track to stop them from stuttering! It's one of the things that grates on me most when I listen to a lot of SID stuff. The most obvious one is the very start of Sanxion. I know that other composers used to do the same thing and that it is deliberate to have finer adjustment over the tempo. However, the stuttering is a side-effect of the vertical blank frequency and not musically intentional. The play-routine could surely be re-written slightly to poll at a greater frequency thereby eliminating the stuttering but keeping the original intended tempo?
Mike Clarke
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
why not convincing Rob to create a(some) new Sid tune(s) (maybe with a PC+Hardsid+today tracker programs because this can be more easy that in the '80) that will be released only(*) in the CD (with the other classic music)?
>>>
Or maybe give him back the source to one of his classic music drivers and a decent cross-assembler that compiles directly to SID, and a Hardsid card...

OK, let's open this up to more discussion. I'm starting a new thread. See you there!

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

just as a side thought it might have been intereting to add a vote as... <b>It's not my thing.</b>

While these sid projects are great for people who want them i personally don't get over excited about them. But that my personal thing, for one second i wouldn't think it shouldn't be done just because it's not something that rocks my boat. It will undoubtably be the best thing since sliced bread to someone else.

On a personal level, project Galway or Project Hubbard if done the same way as galway doesn't interest me personally. However if project Hubbard was done in someway different it gives me goose pimples just thinking about it.

For those who enjoyed Project Galway then cool, good for you. I'm much more looking forward to Bit4 CD. That, just on a personal level suits my taste.

anyway, where's this other thread? is it me or is it not there?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> anyway, where's this other thread? is it me or is it not there?
Technical problems, then decided against it...

Please, chat amongst yourselves!

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

... and so, 14 years later, Project Hubbard is happening as something a lot bigger....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/c6 ... n=41dd7122
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Took you long enough! :lol: