Private messaging has been disabled on this board

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Private messaging has been disabled on this board

Post by Michael »

Which is a pitty.

privmsg.php?mode=post&u=71

I wanted to contact user "Immacolata" and ask him politely to stop using the "RKO reviews" section as a discussion board. Unfortunately, there's no way to contact other members or reviewers.

It simply doesn't work when reviews refer explicitly to what has been written in earlier reviews.

Reviews ought to be independent of each other. Each review ought to be comprehensible on its own.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Re: Private messaging has been disabled on this board

Post by Makke »

Michael wrote:Reviews ought to be independent of each other. Each review ought to be comprehensible on its own.
Indeed. One thing I hate about a lot reviewers in general (not exclusively R64 reviews, it goes for magazine, radio, tv reviewers as well) is that many reviews tell you more about the reviewer than the "object" being reviewed.
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

And another one... reviewer ELIOT. Private mail has been sent. ELIOT has published a contact address in the Remix64 profile.
I do not agree with Beldin or LaLa.
This time I have to agree to LaLa
As LaLa already mentionend..
LaLa: we rate it so high, because it's great, really outstanding.
There are so many reviews now, I can just say:

Btw, just noticed, below the review editing box is a list of review writing guide-lines. Interestingly, the first point says:

Please do not refer to other reviews. Reviews are sometimes displayed
out of that context (like at the News Page). Don't use the review system for
discussions - discuss things at the messageboards.

:) So, it must have been there for some time already, because I seem to remember seeing something like that somewhere.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

I must agree with Michael....

:)

LOL
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Michael wrote:Btw, just noticed, below the review editing box is a list of review writing guide-lines.
Maybe they should be moved above the box, so they're more prominent...
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I intend to make it possible to contact _every_ Remix64 member through the new eMail - box without actually showing the eMail address. Privacy is okay, but absolute anonymity doesn't quite fit the idea of a community, right? :)

- Markus
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

right!
All is lost.
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

Unless I' m mistaken, with phpBB "private message" does not mean "private mail". The "private message" feature does not reveal any e-mail addresses. It is a message board based messaging system. Therefore I wonder why it has been disabled?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I was not talking about the Private Messages feature of phpBB. I was talking about the Remix64 Member database, where it makes much more sense than with the board. The eMail function I was talking about is the one you can see when clicking on a member's eMail address on his member page. I want to activate the same thing for low-profile members, just without showing their eMail address.

The private messages feature of phpBB is disabled because I don't want any unnessecary server load. There are so many other ways to communicate.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

There.

http://www.remix64.com/?member=immacolata

eMail him all you want! :)

Btw, the mails you send through this online form are not stored anywhere, and therefore read by noone else but sender and recipient. You can take my word for it. I will start logging those mails as soon as someone complains about misuse, which I hope will never happen.

- Markus :)
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

Great addition!

Although I have not planned to make use of it often.

Message is on its way... :D
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

Based on the first clearly negative reply I've got, I could say my attempt was fruitless. :lol:

Oh well, ... I didn't expect that someone would jump and edit the reviews right away. :lol: Afterall I'm not a chief-editor or moderator who manages the content on this site. But I did expect at least a bit of understanding and consideration of the review writing guide-lines. :roll:
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

since this is about remix64, could you send me both what you sent and what their reply is?

i will deal the the matter personally michael, as if you look at one of the latest reviews (ofwhich was a response to my review) it's clearly becoming a minor problem.

I'll talk to markus in due course about making some guidelines more visable which should help matters.
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

Well, ELIOT has replied in German and hence my second message was in German, too. I think it wouldn't be nice if I took his private mails and translated them or forwarded them to someone. Let's give him some time to think about it a bit more.

No answer from "Immacolata" yet.

My mail to both persons was as simple as linking this thread and pointing out kindly that it would be nice if some of the reviews (examples above) were edited and the references to other reviews (or reviewers, respectively) were removed. I wrote that some of the reviews are impossible to understand on the "RKO Reviews" page without looking up the reviews they refer to.

Since it was not my intention to argue about reviews in private mail, I didn't reply more than once. I wanted to report my observation and did that. :wink:
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

btw, what about reviews with some strange messages in it?
What do the two sentences at the bottom mean in English???
full quote of review:

Comic Bakery (Larger than Pop Boyband mix) - arranged by PRESS PLAY ON TAPE

REVIEW BY ADMIRALANDERSEN (23/02/2003)

I must say... This is so good that I immediately got the video and the lyrics. I played it again and again, intil I knew it by heart. I sometimes sing it at work, showing off in the weekend or when I am riding my bike. I am mostly fund of metal, but this is great. Everybody ought to sing it from tíme to time, but keep in mind to take a deep breath, because the first part is long and without a pause.
Godt skuldret drenge. I gør mig stolt af min nationalitet.
putzi