Remixer Of The Year 2003 Voting... eh how to remember all???

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

One thing I do think people need to consider when deciding on who they have liked over the year is the question of innovation. For example, has the remixer given a classic tune a new twist or done such a good job of it that they've raised the stakes of anyone remixing that tune (Sonic Wanderer's Last Ninja Wilderness is a prime example of what I'm talking about) or if they've explored new ground in the material to remix and also done a good job by setting a benchmark for remixing those artists (Larsec's Nostalgate is one that immediately stands out for me).

It's an important thing to feel that quality of course should be the overriding factor. But if a remixer has tried fresh new ideas on a mix that even if they didn't appeal to you personally, you can see what they've tried to do with it and be constructive enough to appreciate that at the same time.

Some people for example didn't like that 720 degrees remix becuse it was too short. "It's punk, it's meant to be short!" was the reply, and I agree. I and some others here understood what the mix was about and certainly in terms of a fresh idea that was one of them, even if it wasn't their usual cup of tea/coffee/whatever.

And I definitely wouldn't include quantity into the equation. A remixer could do 2 quality mixes or 10 half decent ones with a couple of those being quality, and I'd always vote for the guy who just made 2 quality ones as it is consistency being the key.

All in all, consider carefully, wisely and well. I'm sure you will.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Hence my top vote going to I'm a Pumpkin Man...
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I really liked Jazzoid's Athena mix, it was innovative... but it didn't get into my top 3. Now if it had been top 5 of the year...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

I really, really wouldn't understand humans if not everyone who was in Brighton vote for Stuck In D'Eighties (yeah!) for best remixer... 8)
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> I really, really wouldn't understand humans if not everyone who was
> in Brighton vote for Stuck In D'Eighties (yeah!) for best remixer...
Well, that's my vote changed ;-)

Actually, it didn't occur to me that I could vote for "Press Play on Tape" as an entity, as well as Trauma as an actual artist.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Actually, Rob Hubbard is a remixer now, too!!

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

didn't occur to me either. well said Drf
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

PPOT vs Trauma

Post by beyond »

You should regard Trauma (Søren, PPOT's drummer for those of you who doesn't know) as an individual. Truma is not PPOT and PPOT is not Trauma. For now Trauma/Søren has been the only person in PPOT who has released a remix on his own. (This will change)

So, if you think Pumpkin is good, vote for Trauma, and if you like PPOT go for PPOT :)

---
Theo, PPOT
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Dr.Future wrote:I really, really wouldn't understand humans if not everyone who was in Brighton vote for Stuck In D'Eighties (yeah!) for best remixer... 8)
Sounds like we need a new category - best band that performed in a jazz/funk style :lol:
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: PPOT vs Trauma

Post by Kenz »

beyond wrote:For now Trauma/Søren has been the only person in PPOT who has released a remix on his own. (This will change)
What's this, band members "going solo" - Blimey, you guys ARE a real boy-band! :wink:
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

just which ones the robbie williams... n which ones are the gary barlows?

hehehe....

<Disclaimer> infamous would like to express how much he would like there to *NOT* be any gary barlows in any more boy bands, proffesional or otherwise especially going *SOLO*... back for good? i dont think so bubble head!..

thank you.